Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am wanting to build an Ar in 6.8 and I am thinking of making it a Gas-Piston setup from CMMG in mid-length. Anybody have any opinions/experience with any piston setup? Or possibly this setup? Are they good or bad, how is quality, is it worth the money, etc.? Thanks in advance.

TG

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
TG,

Hello again! I hope all is well.

I just completed installing an Osprey Defense gas piston kit on my AR-15.

Check it out here

I don't have much range time with it, as I have only been able to get out to function test it twice (because of the cold weather).

That said, it has performed flawlessly so far. No jams, FTF's, or misfires. And, the rifle cycles just fine.

Now, my Osprey Defense gas piston system is installed on a 5.56/.223 rifle, so I can't speak to how it would work for a 6.8. But, you could call them to find out.

(NOTE: this system will ONLY work with barrels measuring .875" outer diameter or less.)

Aside from that, I'm also planning on another retro-fit gas piston system for my other AR-15 carbine. Next time, I'm going to install the Adams Arms gas piston system.

Once I have this second piston installed, and I have some range time, I'll conduct a full review of both systems and post my findings here on the PU.

With regards to the CMMG kit, it is similar to the Adams Arms piston system. And, I haven't read anything bad about them at this point in time.

Overall, from what I've been reading, and even experiencing (albeit limited at this time) about AR-15 gas piston systems, I think they are a nice "mod"/upgrade for your AR-15.

Besides, in theory, a gas piston system should help with the longevity of the firearm as well. Plus, it will make cleaning easier on you.

And, anyone who has cleaned an AR-15 enough times...and I mean a full field strip and cleaning...will tell you it's a pain in the a$$.

Are the worth the money? Well, I guess that depends on how much you really want it...or need it.

Anyway, I recently asked a guy I know who has been shooting competitively with the AR-15 for over a decade, "What do you think about the new gas piston systems for the AR-15?"

Without missing a beat he said, "Well, I guess they've somehow solved a problem that never existed." In other words, he was fine with the direct impingement (DI) system. And, he felt there was no need to change it.

Well, frankly speaking, he may be right. And, I do put some faith into what he's saying, given his own personal experience with this shooting platform.

That said, personally speaking, I just wanted a piston-driven AR-15. And, I wanted to shorten the length of my cleaning sessions.

My best advice to give is to make sure you know what is compatible with the gas piston system you are going to choose.

For me, I ran into the problem of discovering the heavy barrel that came with my RRA Entry Tactical carbine would not work with the Osprey Defense gas piston (too thick). So, I wound-up having to get a new barrel and gas block, in order to get it installed.

It worked out for me...and my brother...as I wound-up selling the original barrel and gas block to him for his first AR-15 build. This help me offset some of my costs, and my brother got a really nice AR-15 out of the deal. A win-win!

I hope my insights and experience help.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

alaj70

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Check out www.ar15.com and go to the gas pistion section.
I'm waiting for another year or so until some of these piston systems work themselves through the puplic. There are many to choose from and more coming. I believe the military will pick 3-4 to work with and this will trim down the field. If the kit cost more than $300-$400 or the upper is over $900 than it's just too expensive in my opinion.
I beleive the gas piston system should be similar to the AR18 with a removable piston that locks down and the gas block should be pinned. I don't like the idea of a twist and turn to remove the piston and I don't like retaining clips or retaining rods. The AR18 has been copied and prooven for 40years.
I know it doesn't address your question on the 6.8 but I thought I would add my .02.
Post some pics of whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If you collect pet rocks.. the gas piston AR is for you.

That idea cut a few years off my life.

I had built an an upper around a CMMG 14.7 M4A1 barrel and PWS conversion.
It was pure crap and a waste of my time.
With under 100 rounds the gas block came loose. Sent it back for repair and mentioned how they did not stake the carrier key screws.
Then after 200 more rounds it would fire, chamber another round and the hammer just fell on the next pull. The carrier key screws had sheered.
PWS did not stake them like I had mentioned.

"It is not required" was all I got.

PWS refunded my money and let me keep the conversion kit. I considered throwing it into the Gulf of Mexico.

I know EVERYONE else loves their GP conversion. I am sure its nice as long as it works. With the gas tuned down, hydraulic buffer and full auto the very very very very very slow ROF was the Bees knees, but not worth the constant failure to function.

Gas tubes blow after 500 rounds of constant fire on full auto. I am fine with this. Its why we have freinds and spare uppers (which cost the same as the GP conversion).

I like to clean my weapons. OTIS makes it easy. So does brake cleaner and some dental picks. My guns will pass a white glove test.

One day it will break and it will be a headache to get it fixed and/or find spare parts, because the mfg will be out of business.
Try to find Rhino gas piston conversion parts.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rapid,

That is terrible that you had to deal with that lack of quality and service with your piston conversion. Maybe another gas piston system will tickle your fancy in the future, one that is better and has great service. Keep up on Alaj70 with his reviews of the Osprey and Adams Arms setups.

Personally, I decided against the PWS idea long ago too, for a couple reasons. First, every review I read or heard about them was negative. Second, they have stopped making them, (as far as I can tell) which leads me to believe they had a crappy product and decided to cut it from production for various reasons.

I have decided on the CMMG system because I am extremely happy with their products and service so far. Plus they have the option for a pin-on system which, to me, is better than some allen screws holding the gas block on the barrel. And now they are coming with a BCG that has the gas key integrated into the bolt, for added strength. (And they are one of two companies that make a mid-length gas system, and the only one that offers the pin on setup.)

But, like I told Alaj in another post, my build will have to wait a year due to me getting deployed soon. But it gives me a year to do more homework and let Alaj do the legwork for us on the Osprey and Adams Arms systems and see if they are good for the long haul. I am sure that many of my current decisions regarding what I am going to put on the rifle will change over the next year. But it will be fun imagining the build and researching it more and more.

TG

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Rapid,

But it gives me a year to do more homework and let Alaj do the legwork for us on the Osprey and Adams Arms systems and see if they are good for the long haul.

TG
And, I'm happy to do it. ;^)

So far, the Osprey Defense unit has passed two function tests. No malfunctions, misfires, fail-to-feed, short cycling, etc. The rifle just ran as it should.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There will have to be hundreds, if not thousands, of more rounds put down the barrel to see how this gas piston system holds up.

But, frankly, I am VERY impressed with their youTube "torture test" vids.

Check 'em out here

I'll even go one better, I just ran into a friend of mine who works at my LGS. And, he just installed an Osprey Defense gas piston kit on his 11.5" AR-15. So, you can bet I'm going to be getting his data points as well.

As far as the Adams Arms gas piston kit, I still have to order and install it. Unfortunately, I have several "mod" projects going on at the moment. So, my time is spread pretty thin.

But, once the Adams Arms gas piston kit is installed, and I have verified it's functioning properly, I will be conducting a somewhat informal "head-to-head" review of the two systems. FYI...this will be done with two VERY similar RRA 16" carbine rifles.

It's a bit cold here in Northern, IL to even think about heading out on our back-40 to shoot (right now it's 11 degrees; -1 degree wind chill). So, this "head-to-head" review will have to wait until the Spring.

But, I will be sure to post a comprehensive analysis of my findings.

More to come...

~ alaj70

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone,

Found this fairly decent, un-biased review of DI vs. Gas piston AR rifle. Its a little long, but worth hearing the differences and advantages of the two gas systems. Plus it gives you something to chew on a bit.

TG

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hey everyone,

Found this fairly decent, un-biased review of DI vs. Gas piston AR rifle. Its a little long, but worth hearing the differences and advantages of the two gas systems. Plus it gives you something to chew on a bit.

TG
Where at??? I think you forgot to post the address. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hey everyone,

TG
Let me guess, it's a you tube video by Nutinfancy.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops! I had a brain fart. Here is the link... And, yes it is by Nutnfancy

TG

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Oops! I had a brain fart. Here is the link... And, yes it is by Nutnfancy

TG
He has some good videos, however there isn't much that he says that influences my decisions. An example is when he talks about the Piston system gas block getting hot vs the lower receiver of the DI and says it's a wash. I couldn't disagree more. The main objective of the piston system is to keep everything out of the lower. The heat issue is a no brainer to me.
He could also condense his videos by half given the fact that he repeats himself over and over.
I guess he's better than some of the youtube experts.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I guess he's better than some of the youtube experts.
Youtube "experts" typically hold the same credibility as Wikipedia entries......OK as reference info, but certainly not a definitive/authoritative source. Use it as such, and follow up with more authoritative, primary sources and you'll be well on your way. YMMV.......widely!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Youtube "experts" typically hold the same credibility as Wikipedia entries......OK as reference info, but certainly not a definitive/authoritative source. Use it as such, and follow up with more authoritative, primary sources and you'll be well on your way. YMMV.......widely!

I would agree, but Nutnfancy is getting a lot of exposure. He is being noticed not only by gun enthusiasts but also the gun/knife industry and networks. I do believe we will be seeing more of the TNP in future. The more he does TNP the more he will learn and grow. As Wikipedia is growing not only as informative site, it is also growing with credibility, so will The Nutnfancy Project. That is if he plays his cards right.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
For the most part, Nutnfancy does a good job in his reviews.

Is he long-winded? Yeah...but so am I (see my posts above). LOL! :p

"Just keeping it real" (as Nutnfancy says). Heck, if I can't kid myself, then I'm taking myself too seriously.

Anyway, I agree with monie42. When it comes to youTube reviewers, it's...

"OK (to use) as reference info, but certainly not a definitive/authoritative source. Use it as such, and follow up with more authoritative, primary sources and you'll be well on your way"

Well said, friend.

The one thing I will say in support of TNP is that he's a strong advocate of responsible civilian firearm ownership AND usage. And, I think all of us can get behind that.

You see, in the end, we're all on the same side. And, we all have one thing in common...we are supporters of the 2nd Amendment.

In my book, if you believe strongly in that, you can come shoot on my range anytime. :cool:

Happy shooting, fellas!

~ alaj70

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
For the most part, Nutnfancy does a good job in his reviews.

Is he long-winded? Yeah...but so am I (see my posts above). LOL! :p

"Just keeping it real" (as Nutnfancy says). Heck, if I can't kid myself, then I'm taking myself too seriously.

Anyway, I agree with monie42. When it comes to youTube reviewers, it's...

"OK (to use) as reference info, but certainly not a definitive/authoritative source. Use it as such, and follow up with more authoritative, primary sources and you'll be well on your way"

Well said, friend.

The one thing I will say in support of TNP is that he's a strong advocate of responsible civilian firearm ownership AND usage. And, I think all of us can get behind that.

You see, in the end, we're all on the same side. And, we all have one thing in common...we are supporters of the 2nd Amendment.

In my book, if you believe strongly in that, you can come shoot on my range anytime. :cool:

Happy shooting, fellas!

~ alaj70

YOu and NutnFancy, just bla bla bla... ;) :D

No, but really I agree with you... :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

YOu and NutnFancy, just bla bla bla... ;) :D

No, but really I agree with you... :)
Yeah, I know...my posts can become novels. :rolleyes:

A LOT of my work requires me to write. So, writing is just second nature for me.

Blah-blah-blah.

Anyway, I think Nutnfancy gets a bad-rap. His vids are indeed informative, and frankly I like his style. He sort of reminds me of a dude I could sit around a campfire and talk "shop" with for hours, with some cold brews in our hands, of course.

With regards to his "influence" on me to purchase this or that, well I have to be honest, he tipped the scales for me with his recent Ruger SP-101 vid.

You see, I have been considering a departure from my semi-auto pistol ways, in order to buy a revolver. And, since my brother owns one, which I have shot several times, I have been looking at the Ruger SP-101 (in .357 Magnum).

I've shot my brother's SP-101 several times and really liked it. But, once I saw the TNP vid showcasing the SP-101, I was sold. For a snub-nose revolver, it gets the job done. And, that's what I wanted.

Aside from that, the other TNP gun/rifle reviews have been good...long...but good.

I especially liked the "AR-15 vs. AK-47", as well as the "Ruger Mini-14: Homestead Defender" vids. Nicely done!

Anyway, that's my take...

I know "others' mileage may vary", but...

Cheers,

alaj70

·
Registered
462 Posts
Drew, I do agree with you....he is getting quite a bit of attention. And I agree with alaj70, I'm just happy that what he's doing is reasonable, educational, and provides an insight into responsible firearm ownership and use. The more correct information that gets distributed about responsible ownership and use, the better off we all are!

·
Registered
389 Posts
if you just want to fool around with some cool stuff, go for it. I just have never been convinced that a piston set up offered any real life advantage over a standard gas impingement system.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Personally I would like to convert my Bushmaster AR-15 to a piston system.

Reasons:

My Springfield M1A is a gas piston and I love shooting it. Its really easy to clean and the gun is accurate.

My Bushmaster AR-15 is Fun to shoot, however its a really big pain in the arse to clean. I'm not shooting over and over enough to melt down my gas tube, but the cleaning part is a pain.

On the other hand, my Mini-14 is basically a piston (Well its really not, it has a gas port that dead ends into the op rod to throw it back). More often than not, I've been grabbing my mini-14 over my AR-15 to go shoot. Basically I just have to run a patch down the barrel to clean it and I'm done.

Like I said, do I need a gas piston for my AR-15? No, but I wouldn't mind one to keep my cleaning jobs easy. However do I think its worth the money to convert my AR-15 to a piston just to make cleaning easier? HELL NO. I can buy lots of patches, cleaning materials, and reloading components for my guns for the price of the kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts