Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dinged my gas pipe on my 182 series Mini-14 and also had it stick once. So I bought a new one from Numrich. When I tried to fit it I had to tap it with a hammer into the lower gas block. It would not fit at all into the hole on the slide assembly.
Is this a typical tolerance problem or has the dimensions changed over the years?
I can turn it down on a lathe, but will lose the blueing( I should have gotten the stainless part).

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have to turn it down to fit, that's what you have to do.

I wouldn't worry about the bluing. It's going to get all gunked up anyway.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Get another gas pipe from Ruger or Brownells.
The gas pipe is supposed to have some float in it as to the fit into the gas block and the OP rod hole. It should move a little when installed in the gas block.

Sounds like you got a bad part or maybe a part that has been changed. Call Ruger tech and find out if they have changed the specs on the pipe, don't mess with something that could hurt your weapon.
Something is not right. Have you checked to make sure you have the right length gas bushing or that the gas bushing is not damaged?
A gas tube is a drop in part and should not need that much fitting.

Best Regards, John K

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's the nature of gun parts that they often need to be hand fitted.

However, it's possible that the slide bore is where the tight dimension is located. Is it full of carbon build up?

Perhaps one option would be to compare the dimensions of the parts you have to other parts, then make a decision on which part will get resized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts