Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas block front sight came in today. Looked great taking it out of the box. Machine work is top notch. White stripe dovetail post. Looked really good.

When I went to install it, things went down hill. Unlike the picture I had seen of them. The two parts do not meet up. I was left with a very large gap between the two gas block parts. The size of the gap is 0.055".

I called about it...Was told it was the bottom part of the gas block, that was causing the problem, not the part itself. Then was told I could just Dremel the new part to make it fit (that in itself, is not right at all). Then I was told I could send it back at my cost and have it machined more.

Not sure about anyone else but, when I pay for something to be shipped to me and I have to send it back immediately at my cost, because it's not right out of the gate. That's not very good customer service in my book. And I'm a stong believer in customer service. You take care of the customer always. Especially when there is an issue, not of their doing.

If anything, I could have been told, sir, sorry to hear that its not fitting as it should. And I can see in the photo's you sent that its not. Tell you what, I'll get another one made and on its way. If you could send that one back on Monday, all will be good.[/FONT]

No such luck...So I'll be switching back to my factory gas block. Bummer to loose $106.95...Live and learn, thankfully it wasn't the rifle I was having work done on. When you buy things on the internet, sometimes you get hosed. So anyone out there that has been thinking about a gas block front sight. you may get one that fits, If you don't, be prepared to pay additional shipping to get the issue corrected.

Attachments

·
†3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
My gas block front sight came in today. Looked great taking it out of the box. Machine work is top notch. White stripe dovetail post. Looked really good.

When I went to install it, things went down hill. Unlike the picture I had seen of them. The two parts do not meet up. I was left with a very large gap between the two gas block parts. The size of the gap is 0.055".

I called about it...Was told it was the bottom part of the gas block, that was causing the problem, not the part itself. Then was told I could just Dremel the new part to make it fit (that in itself, is not right at all). Then I was told I could send it back at my cost and have it machined more.

Not sure about anyone else but, when I pay for something to be shipped to me and I have to send it back immediately at my cost, because it's not right out of the gate. That's not very good customer service in my book. And I'm a stong believer in customer service. You take care of the customer always. Especially when there is an issue, not of their doing.

If anything, I could have been told, sir, sorry to hear that its not fitting as it should. And I can see in the photo's you sent that its not. Tell you what, I'll get another one made and on its way. If you could send that one back on Monday, all will be good.[/FONT]

No such luck...So I'll be switching back to my factory gas block. Bummer to loose $106.95...Live and learn, thankfully it wasn't the rifle I was having work done on. When you buy things on the internet, sometimes you get hosed. So anyone out there that has been thinking about a gas block front sight. you may get one that fits, If you don't, be prepared to pay additional shipping to get the issue corrected.
what is the actual problem caused by the gap?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Doesn't your original gas block have about the same spacing? I would think there would have to be some spacing there to make sure the gas block is tight. That could be a tad much though. I don't think it will hurt anything my original looks about like that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't your original gas block have about the same spacing? I would think there would have to be some spacing there to make sure the gas block is tight. That could be a tad much though. I don't think it will hurt anything my original looks about like that.
Nope, here is a shot of the factory gas block, I took just a couple of day's ago.Almost no gap at all. And if you look at the sample pix of the front sight gas block. There is no gap at all, which is what I was expecting.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is the actual problem caused by the gap?
The barrel channel isn't deep enough to bring the two pieces together. As it shows on the website of the manufacture.

So it ends up being a cosmetic issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It woiuld be nice if you told the whole story.

You contacted me today and said you were concerned about the gap between the gas block and my top strap. When I asked how big the gap was, you said it was about 1/16". I said that I had seen gaps between the factory top straps and gas blocks that size before and I felt like that was within acceptable tolerences.

You sent me the same pics you posted here. I told you that the barrel slot in my top strap was 1/2 the diameter of the barrel (see the pics). I then told you that your gas block looked like it was cut shorter than normal which accounted for the gap.

I then told you numerous times to send it back and I would make the barrel slot deeper. After I had told you that 3 or 4 times, and you kept saying "well, I don't know", I suggested that if you didn't want to send it back that you could use a Dremel tool to deepen the barrel slot. I was trying to find a way to make you happy but I don't think there is any way to do that.

The last thing I said to you was for you to measure the gap with feeler gauges so if you sent it back to me, I'd know how much to deepen the slot. The next thing I know I'm being slammed on this forum.

Let me get this straight....... you're upset because I didn't bend over backwards to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with? :huh:

Give me a break!!!

You need a minimum of a .020" - .025" gap between the top strap and the gas block anyway so the most I would have deepened the slot was .035".

I have been a gunsmith for 25+ years and my reputation and the quality of my work speak for themselves. I have made close to 500 top straps..... I designed them, tooled up and manufactured every single one myself and this is the first complaint I have EVER had!!!

And I do take care of my customers.......... the reasonable ones anyway. All I can do is say send it back and I'll address the issue. If you are too cheap to spend $6.95 to ship the part back so I can address your phantom issue, then I don't know what to say.

Actually. I do know what to say but forum rules prevent me from saying it :angry:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It woiuld be nice if you told the whole story.

You contacted me today and said you were concerned about the gap between the gas block and my top strap. When I asked how big the gap was, you said it was about 1/16". I said that I had seen gaps between the factory top straps and gas blocks that size before and I felt like that was within acceptable tolerences.

You sent me the same pics you posted here. I told you that the barrel slot in my top strap was 1/2 the diameter of the barrel (see the pics). I then told you that your gas block looked like it was cut shorter than normal which accounted for the gap.

I then told you numerous times to send it back and I would make the barrel slot deeper. After I had told you that 3 or 4 times, and you kept saying "well, I don't know", I suggested that if you didn't want to send it back that you could use a Dremel tool to deepen the barrel slot. I was trying to find a way to make you happy but I don't think there is any way to do that.

The last thing I said to you was for you to measure the gap with feeler gauges so if you sent it back to me, I'd know how much to deepen the slot. The next thing I know I'm being slammed on this forum.

Let me get this straight....... you're upset because I didn't bend over backwards to fix something that wasn't broke to begin with? :huh:

Give me a break!!!

You need a minimum of a .020" - .025" gap between the top strap and the gas block anyway so the most I would have deepened the slot was .035".

I have been a gunsmith for 25+ years and my reputation and the quality of my work speak for themselves. I have made close to 500 top straps..... I designed them, tooled up and manufactured every single one myself and this is the first complaint I have EVER had!!!

And I do take care of my customers.......... the reasonable ones anyway. All I can do is say send it back and I'll address the issue. If you are too cheap to spend $6.95 to ship the part back so I can address your phantom issue, then I don't know what to say.

Actually. I do know what to say but forum rules prevent me from saying it :angry:
I didn't ask you to bend over backwards? I'd love to hear the story there. I made no requests of you what so ever.

You sold a product that does not fit as it is pictured on your website. Even you admitted that the gap was too big. And before you said to send it back. You said for me to Dremel the barrel channel to make it fit better.
Is that what you tell all of your customers Lee? I sure hope not.

Your customer service sucks straight up. You would rather push it back on the customer as being unreasonable or blame the inanimate object (the lower gas block). And with all of your years worth of experience, and the 100's of gas blocks you sell, you couldn't of made a mistake at all, could you? Just goes to show how full of yourself you are.

I have lots of experience too. And that experience allows me to determine that your product sucks!

And for the return shipping, to correct the issue. Why should I have to eat that. I just paid for shipping, with the expectation of receiving a product that was suppose to fit proper.

Maybe you should change the pictures and clarify in writing on your website, what a customer should truly expect. Because what a person see's there, when they place an order, and what they get is two different things.

You got me for $106.95. Spend it well....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And here is one of your sample pics Lee...not what you sold now is it?

Total bait and switch!

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not much to say now Lee?

Its very clear, what you are advertising and what you are selling are two different things.

The sad thing, I gave you cudos for great machine work and over all look of the product. I knocked you for poor customer service but, didn't really flame you in any way. And at no point did I say not to buy one. All I said, if you do and its not right, you'll have to eat the shipping.

You call me cheap, for not wanting to pay for additional shipping. And say other things that are not factual. I guess that I can turn it right back around on you and call you a Rip Off. And that is for all to see.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll throw in that my 2008 vintage 580 series came from the factory with a gap similar to that in the OP (maybe even slightly more...), and had no functional issues whatsoever.

·
†3AD† S.T.A.R.S. Delta 7
325 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll throw in that my 2008 vintage 580 series came from the factory with a gap similar to that in the OP (maybe even slightly more...), and had no functional issues whatsoever.
The op said it was a cosmetic issue not a function issue you jealous raging fool.

Your input is invalid.

·
Registered
136 Posts
"I didn’t ask you to bend over backwards? I’d love to hear the story there. I made no requests of you what so ever."

That's right, you didn't. All you did was express concern about a non-issue. You never asked me to do anything. I just kept on saying "send it back, I'll make it deeper". I had no idea how unreasonable you were till I read your post on here. I thought you were sending it back

"You sold a product that does not fit as it is pictured on your website."

Sure it does. It fits exactly like the one on my site. There is a smaller gap in the one on my site. If I put the exact same top strap on a different mini, ther gap will be different because of the variations at Ruger. You yourself said my machining was "top notch". If I put that much time into making every other part of the top strap "top notch", why would I neglect the bottom?

"You would rather push it back on the customer as being unreasonable or blame the inanimate object (the lower gas block). And with all of your years worth of experience, and the 100’s of gas blocks you sell, you couldn’t of made a mistake at all, could you?"

I call a spade a spade. You are unreasonable and the gas block is cut shorter than most. The most I cou;ld have closed the the gap was .035". Not worth messing with IMO but I was willing to do it but I can't do it over the phone. And yes, I do make mistakes.... lots of them. I have a box full of screwed up top straps, broken taps, holes out of alignment, dovetails too big......... but they are sill here. I only send out products that are right.

"And for the return shipping, to correct the issue. Why should I have to eat that. I just paid for shipping, with the expectation of receiving a product that was suppose to fit proper. "

Because basically you wanted custom work on a product that functioned fine. By the time I received your package, opened it, set up my milling machine to deepen the slot, deepen the slot, removed the front sight, re sand blasted the top strap, re installed the front sight, packaged the top strap and mailed it with me paying return shipping, I would have had about 1 1/2 hours in it at minimum. Most machine labor rates run at least $75 an hour. You do the math. All you would have had in it was the shipping.

Bless your heart! If all it takes to "disappoint" you is something like this, I don't know how you can stand to get out of bed everyday. I'll say it again..........
a .055" gap is a non issue!!!

You said during one of our many phone conversations that it was probably you just being "anal". Truer words were never spoken.

"The sad thing, I gave you cudos for great machine work and over all look of the product. I knocked you for poor customer service but, didn't really flame you in any way. And at no point did I say not to buy one. All I said, if you do and its not right, you'll have to eat the shipping."

I'm sorry. I just reread your OP. I was mistaken. It was actually a glowing endorsement of my product and my services. :blink:

Thia aint Wal Mart and for your information, the customer is not always right. Sometimes they are !#$^&*#! crazy! I offered to adjust a perfectly good part for you and you would have been out $6.95. Yeah, my customer service sucks.

Keep going dude. You've got plenty of rope and you're doing a fine job of hanging yourself.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain - "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I have minis with gap similar to PDX .055, I even the gap and torque on both sides. I have not seen many that touch.

You might call Ruger and ask them what see what the specs are for the stock gap and compare to what Lee is offering. It looks normal to me, I would try it and if it improved accuracy any.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I think the title of this thread should have read:

Gas Block Front Sight: Excellent product.
Purchaser: Anal whiner.

I see this thread as the perfect example of how a purchaser blows something completely out of proportion and ultimately ends-up slandering the manufacturer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
E mail me your address I will send you the $6.95. It will be a pleasure to help out a fellow member.:D
You better send more than that.

Unless he posts a very heart felt, public apology, that ship has sailed. I'm not gonna help out anyone who slams my reputation over something that is not my fault or even an issue.

Standard machine shop hourly rates apply.

I would like to ytake the opportunity to apologize to the members of this forum for y'all having to read this mess.

In 25+ years as a gunsmith, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've went off on a customer ans I'm sorry y'all had to be a part of this one.

But enough is enough.

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
I think the title of this thread should have read:

Gas Block Front Sight: Excellent product.
Purchaser: Anal whiner.

I see this thread as the perfect example of how a purchaser blows something completely out of proportion and ultimately ends-up slandering the manufacturer.
+1 on this.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You better send more than that.

Unless he posts a very heart felt, public apology, that ship has sailed. I'm not gonna help out anyone who slams my reputation over something that is not my fault or even an issue.

Standard machine shop hourly rates apply.

I would like to ytake the opportunity to apologize to the members of this forum for y'all having to read this mess.

In 25+ years as a gunsmith, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've went off on a customer ans I'm sorry y'all had to be a part of this one.

But enough is enough.
Yep Lee, your the greatest gunsmith around. Keep up the amazing work, your product is outstanding!

Your customer service is even better! The best I have ever experienced. You have clearly showed that.

I'll make sure I refer many more people to your product. The fit is better then factory.

As for other's that have gaps..well, my didn't originally, as I've showed. And now, doesn't again, because its back to factory. An item was bought expecting one thing and I received another. Was I a little harsh on the product, yeah, a little. Did I flame the guy not at all. But when I spend $100 on something, I expect it to be as its depicted and described. Not something different. Some of you may settle for less, and that's fine. I don't and won't.

You can call me want you want. That's fine, I have thicker skin then most. Many will stick up for their own. lol...I even have STARDICK calling me names. The 2nd coming of Christ must be happening soon!

Lee, again, great product! And a double thumbs up on customer services!

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Well, after reading all of this... I have to say Hadaway is in the right here. You are requesting a cosmetic fix, which would amount to paying a little more for "customization". I myself have never seen a mini without the gap. Most instruction manuals tell you to ensure the gap is "even", not closed.

I can understand being disappointed about not receiving the exact look from the photo.

Hadaway, I haven't seen any of your offers, but perhaps an "ATTENTION: THERE MAY BE A GAP NOT PICTURED" could prevent any future problems.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The op said it was a cosmetic issue not a function issue you jealous raging fool.

Your input is invalid.
My post was simply input, of which you have provided exactly none to this forum. I sincerely hope you're enjoying yourself, spreading hate and discontent around an internet forum that, the vast majority of the time, has absolutely zero drama (if we discount the News/Politics section, but that's to be expected there).

You are the definition of a forum troll, and I have tried my damnedest to not stoop to your level. But you caught me on a bad (good?) day.

I honestly believe that the most intelligent part of you ran down the crack of your mother's ass after she tried to abort you. However, that plan clearly went awry -- perhaps she had second thoughts. It's really too bad that she pussed out. She did a tragic disservice to American society when she decided to go through with that particular pregnancy.

Welcome to my ignore list, you goddamned imbecile. Enjoy your time here, flailing your arms and throwing around insults like the judgmental pile of sh!t that you are.

I sincerely wish we had some form of moderation around here to shut this bullsh!t down before a troll manages to get almost 200 posts. The fact that someone can repeatedly disrupt the entirety of the forum for the sole purpose of amusing himself makes this place less and less attractive to me.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.