Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a gas block kit for my mini and can't remeber who makes them any one know?. just to let every one know the wolf main spring and buff tech buffer go well togather. :usa:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks but i'm looking for an aftermarket bushing with slightly different hole dia. i thought it was made by mw or something like that. :usa:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm going to use every trick to get the mini to shoot as well as possible and herd about the after market gas block bushing and want to try it to see if it helps my groups.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seems like an easy piece to manufacture might as well try one large, one small, maybe one just right!

I would think that the tendancy is fot the hole to get smaller with use - built up gunk. Hardly seems that will help accuracy.

Then again smaller hole same pressure = higher velocity (I think) :confused:

Where is that armorer guy.....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is worth talking to a couple of people about and thanks for the idea. just have to find out what kind of metal is used in the factory bushing...later

·
Registered
153 Posts
Send an E-mail to this fine gentleman Mike Knifong of Northwest Shooter Support [email protected] He is one of the hardest working guys in the Mini-14 business...OK I don't know about that, but he does an excellent trigger job (complete with spring kit) and he sells a gas bushing kit for $25 that includes 3 stainless steel bushings with successively reduced diameter bushings. The theory behind the smaller diameter hole for gas flow is to reduce the violence of the Mini's robust cycle. This has one immediately noticeable side effect of reducing the distance your brass flies from 20-40 ft to anywhere from 2-10 ft, depending on which port you use. The smaller ports (the biggest is less than half of factory dia.) flow a smaller quantity of gas and don't operate the rod and bolt as quickly, if at all. I say this because with the smallest port in the kit my rifle was a straight pull bolt gun, and with the medium port it would cycle just far enough to pop the casing out and catch it between the bolt and reciever on the return to battery. From Mike's comments on this, as well as what I heard from several other of his customers that I contacted, indicate this is fairly normal for a rifle as relatively new as mine (500-600 rds). I should be able to reduce the diameter as my action smooths up and my spring becomes less stiff. Now theoretically this should have some positive effect on accuracy because it lessens the violence of all that steel to steel going on between the underside of the puny Ruger barrel and the op-rod. Less dragging and grinding, less barrel disturbance, right? We'll see. My testing has been limited and inconclusive due to a loose scope lens. BTW, it should help that nasty little tendency too. I can report that the brass I used to drive to the next county to police is now conveniently closer, around 6-10 ft.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a long phone conversation with him about a month ago. He knows the Mini and is doing a lot of accuracy work in that area. Very nice guy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks alot reloader that is the kit i was looking for but could not think of it. thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts