Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My late Father-in-law gave me a bayonet that he liberated from the army in '45. All metal parts look to be chrome plated. The blade is 16 inches measured from the hilt. It has a wooden handle. Markings are US and 118670 (S/N?) on one side and RIA, the flaming bomb, and 1907 (model?)on the other. I have a Korean War and WWll 10" bayonet but I have not seen one like this. Can anyone help with any info?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Swede; It is only a guess but I believe your bayonet was built at the Rock Island Arsenal, and judging from the description sounds like it is a 'parade' or 'dress' item.Hope this is of some help.

------------------
Mancos Tom

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. With the chrome that must be were the term "bayonets gleaming in the sun" came from.

[This message has been edited by Swede (edited 03-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Swede (edited 03-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm no bayonet expert, but I think the "1907" bayonet was for the M-1917 Enfield rifle and the"trench" shotguns. With the nickel (or chrome) plating, it sounds like a parade bayonet and was made at the Rock Island Arsenal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.