Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a G2 contender and do not know much about it. It has a 22 barrel and a 45/410 barrel. 45/410 barrel has a choke in it and I am not sure if I have to remove it for 45 or for 410. Do not have a choke wrench but I see a couple on E bay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Steve Cover
8 Posts
I just inherited a G2 contender and do not know much about it. It has a 22 barrel and a 45/410 barrel. 45/410 barrel has a choke in it and I am not sure if I have to remove it for 45 or for 410. Do not have a choke wrench but I see a couple on E bay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You have to remove the choke to shoot 45 ammunition.

It would be dangerous to do so with the choke in place.

Also, if your G2 has a shoulder stock for using the 22" barrel as a rifle, it is illegal to mount a barrel such as the 45/410 on the action.
The feds consider anything under a 16" barrel on a rifle stock as a sawed off or short rifle.

You need to be sure that a pistol grip is installed first.

You can get a G2 manual download off the net.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. I have only the pistol grip. Maybe someday I will find someone who wants this more than I do. I would prefer a glock or ruger 9mm or 40 cal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve I just downloaded the manual. Now to get the right cleaning kit and clean and fire this thing. I do not think it has ever been fired.My stepdad had it for years and now it is mine. I guess I will learn to love it and show it off like he did. Thanks for youe help/ Bill

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You never know, you might love it.

I assume by .45 you mean Colt, not ACP (Never seen an ACP/410 barrel).

Anyhoo, that would be a nice shooter. If you don't want it, there are forums that specialize in those guns. Someone over there might be more than happy to buy it from you for a fair price. Search "Specialty Pistol Forums" and it'll pop up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

This is the gun I have, 410/45colt and a .222barrel. any idea how much it is worth? there is some corrosion on the end of the 410/45colt barrell. I am not sure it could be reblued. The .223 barrel is hexagon shaped. the number below the hammer is 287692. does anyone know the year this was made. Thanks

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If you send an email to Thompson Center they can tell you exactly when it was made, possibly down to the day.

FYI - That is not a G2 (G2s had no images on the frame, see pic of mine below). Of the pre-G2s, there were easy open, and non-easy open versions. Once you engage the barrel release, does the barrel pop open (easy), or do you need to force it open by hand (non-easy)?

Octagonal barrels (and any with soldered on front sights) are older production.

Assuming the frame is in good shape, it should be worth around $200-250ish if it is easy open. Some shooters prefer the older frames due to the trigger design, claiming they feel better than the G2s.

Barrels are hit and miss. Good ones bring $125-200 each depending on caliber, assuming they are in good shape. I paid $210 for my .41 Mag, and $190 for my 7mm TCU, both 10" tubes in excellent shape.

There are a lot of 45/410s floating out there. They are of limited accuracy because to make the chambers accommodate the .410 shells, you end up with a long chamber that is too loose for the 45 Colt.

If you wanted to sell it, I would do it as a .22LR, and then sell the 45/410 cheap on the side, or just throw it in the deal as it's pretty rough. Or, you could part it all out and sell the barrels and forearms separately (everything can be sold online EXCEPT the frame. Frames are the "firearm" themselves and must be sold in-person, or shipped via an FFL.

I can't give you an accurate value for your unit without seeing it in person. Condition makes a big difference to people interested in the firearms.

Mine:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.