Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a blast! A friend of mine has a good size piece of land in the mountains. The terrain is moderatly wooded with plenty of hills to shoot into. I loaded up eight 30rnd mags with some Wolf 55grn FMJ and some SA battle pack 55grn FMJ, my binoculars, a 100' tape, some water, some paper targets, and a few empty soda cans and headed up the mountain. I set up the paper target on this dead remains of a tree that we've shot to hell and I put the cans in various places in front of a nice big hill. I then measured out 25yrds and 50yrds and warmed up on the paper target. Due to the terrain a 100yrd shot is not possible. I was grouping around 2" shooting freehand at 50yrds with my Millett red dot. I then proceeded to shoot the different cans as quickly as possible from as close as 25' to 50yrds. This was great. Fast target aquisition is very easy with a red dot. I was making those cans dance. If any of you guys can set up a similar situation, I highly recomend this. IMHO this is alot more fun than shooting from a bench trying to get tight groups. If I want to shoot tight groups at paper I'll use a bolt gun. :usa: :ar15:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi MW740,
Sounds like a blast indeed! "Millett Red Dot" caught my interest as I am unsure if the ramp sight on the mini can be changed? If so, where did you purchase the Red dot sight? Did you change it yourself, or did a gun shop type have to do it? One of the features that I enjoy the most about the Mini is its rapid engagement ability. With a rather close sight to barrel ratio already, does this red dot enhance this good situation even more?

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tady45- I've got the Mini-14 Ranch, so all that I had to do was put the Millett red dot in the Ruger rings that came with my Mini. If you don't have a Ranch Mini, you will have to get a scope mount. There is a discussion about scope mounts on this forum somewhere. Yes, any red dot sight dramatically increases target engagement speed because there are no sights to line up. All you have to do is put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger. Here is the URL for Millett http://www.millettsights.com/redo.htm

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey, sounds like a good time.
Shooting at the range is boring.
If it doesn't break, bleed, or fall its not a target.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the SP-1 REDOT on my PC4. It is an excellent sight.
Since it is 3 MOA dot, it just about exactly covers my "hit zone" at 50 yards on the PC4.
I haven't tried it at 100 yards, and it seems like you might want to start getting into some magnification at that range anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree, we do the same sort of thing here. I live in a rural area with lots of agriculture. Used disk blades work great as steel targets, I find them from 8 in. to about 14 in. They take a beating and are good for shooting 100-200 yds out. I agree it's a lot more fun than range shooting and if you ever get attacked by a 3 lb. coffee can, call my wife, she's awful tough on those "Folgers" targets......................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts