Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

After kicking myself for 25 years for not buying a friend's mini out of pawn (for $100 :angry:) I recently found a 197-series ranch rifle.

I upgraded the rear sight to the Tech-Sights Mini200R, and now I'd like to get rid of that huge, stock front sight. I'm trying to decide between an M-14 style sight (Choate, etc) and the HK-style sights (Mo-Reaper, etc).

I'm interested in your comments. The flash-supressor/ muzzle brake isn't a huge issue for me if you have another suggestion. Also, my distance vision is OK, but I do wear reading glasses FWIW.

Thanks,
Brian

· Registered
267 Posts
I currently have a Mo-Reaper on one and a John Massen on another. For fit and finish, the Mo-Reaper is my favorite.

· Registered
10,504 Posts
The muzzle brake combo is very nice, although there is not much recoil it keeps the barrel down for quick follow up shots.

· Registered
546 Posts
Greetings all.

After kicking myself for 25 years for not buying a friend's mini out of pawn (for $100 :angry:) I recently found a 197-series ranch rifle.

I upgraded the rear sight to the Tech-Sights Mini200R, and now I'd like to get rid of that huge, stock front sight. I'm trying to decide between an M-14 style sight (Choate, etc) and the HK-style sights (Mo-Reaper, etc).

I'm interested in your comments. The flash-supressor/ muzzle brake isn't a huge issue for me if you have another suggestion. Also, my distance vision is OK, but I do wear reading glasses FWIW.

Thanks,
Brian
Used a Mo-Reaper on a 182 - excellent sight and brake.

The 182 now has an old Choate A2 birdcage - which I like too.
The Mo-Reaper will eventually go on a blued Ranch.
Both rifles have Tech sights too.
YMMV

· Registered
32 Posts
I have a 582 with the Mo-Reaper and the Mini200 Techsight. I really like the combination. The circle of the rear sight lines up very nicely with the hood of the front sight. Basically, if the hood intrudes into your sight picture, you're not lined up correctly.

The hood also helps prevent reflection problems you can get with some front sights.

The muzzle break is nice too. The only negative I see is that it adds a little weight to the front of the barrel. That may make adding an Accu-Strut or similar more important. Of course that will add a little more weight. So when you're done the rifle won't be quite as light and quick as it is now. TANSTAAFL

· Registered
663 Posts
The mo-reaper is made out of aluminum so any weight it adds is completely negligible IMO. With it on or not, I cannot feel the difference at all. The only way it makes it less handy is by the extra 1-2'' it adds to the end of the barrel. Most here say that adding any weight to the end of the barrel is actually a good thing for accuracy, aiding in dampening the harmonics of the barrel.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Its a personal preference thing. No real edge to either style in my book.

Personally I like the US military style front sight wings. I grew up shooting guns with 'em and I'm used to 'em is all.

Whatever you go with, hope it works out well for you!
Best,
Grumpy

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Grumpy, I understand where you're coming from. After some .22 at summer camp 40 years or so ago, the next rifle I shot was an M16, so I'm also most familiar with that type of front sight.

After looking at SSM's photo, I've got a question for the Mo-Reaper users. With those gas holes pointing straight up behind the sight post, do you get any kind of "flash" to affect your night vision? I don't remember anything like that from the M-16, but the sight was a couple inches higher and a few inches back from the flash supressor.

Thanks again,
Brian

· Registered
546 Posts
Its a personal preference thing. No real edge to either style in my book.

Personally I like the US military style front sight wings. I grew up shooting guns with 'em and I'm used to 'em is all.

Whatever you go with, hope it works out well for you!
Best,
Grumpy
I actually prefer the US military FS with wings too:
182 - now with Choate A2 style FS&brake and Ultimak rail:

· Banned
7,951 Posts
The mo-reaper is made out of aluminum so any weight it adds is completely negligible IMO. With it on or not, I cannot feel the difference at all. The only way it makes it less handy is by the extra 1-2'' it adds to the end of the barrel. Most here say that adding any weight to the end of the barrel is actually a good thing for accuracy, aiding in dampening the harmonics of the barrel.
What he said. The factory sight blade covers a 3" circle at 100 yards and becomes a turkey shoot. My vote is the Mo-Reaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.