Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new member here. My gun buddy recently got his hands on a 1976 180 series mini 14. He swaps guns more than changes his socks and asked me if i was inerested in it, he wanted me to get a hold of a saiga .223 as a trade ($430 or so for the Saiga).
Now i already have the 581 tactical mini and the 180 series is a beutifull rifle but after some research,not only will Ruger not support/repair them but i understand parts are as hard to get as space shuttle parts.
Being a collector and active shooter, I am not wealthy enough to buy wall hangers and even knowing the mini's reliability in most models, I am really waffeling on this investment.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
For $430 I'd probably buy it and shoot the crap out of it. If it breaks you could probably part it out and get your money back. I know of quite a few 180's out there still running strong.

·
absit iniuria verbis
323 Posts
IMO, if you have a 581, you're good to go. I'd get a hold of and keep the Saiga, because they're getting harder to find and I hear they're good shooters. I'm on the hunt for one myself, or a Golani if the quality is comparable.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
IMO, if you have a 581, you're good to go. I'd get a hold of and keep the Saiga, because they're getting harder to find and I hear they're good shooters. I'm on the hunt for one myself, or a Golani if the quality is comparable.
The saiga's are not a big deal. Typical AK accuracy (about 8" @ 100 yds.) I had one and wasn't impressed. So pass on the deal, your not your trading buddies Bank, are you?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The only thing on minis that break are firing pins and that's few and far between compared to how many are shot from day to day or week to week. Extractors and springs can be picked up from Brownell's. It sounds like a decent buy if in good shape. Most mini keep shooting for over 10,000 rds, I have a 196 series that l have no problems with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If it aint broke it probably want break. minis arnt a blackpowder rifle you would hang on the wall. I have a 181 the year after that has never broke and as far as the old skinny barrel minis go the first ones were accurate.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
That's a Bi-Centennial, depends on the condition.
Not all '76 180s were Bicentennials. That was a limited run of special editions they put out...

As others have said, the 180 may not be a good trade if you're a shooter and/or prefer not to have safe queens. That being said, it'd still be a good little rifle, just more difficult to modify (if desired) and repair (if needed).

·
Registered
529 Posts
A friend of mine picked up a 180 at a good price. We managed to attach a MoRod strut and mount a 3x9 scope on it. He loves it. It was purchased knowing Ruger won't service it anymore. As a bonus the stock was in excellent condition. I believe it is walnut. It is a shooter..............Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.