Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I kept telling myself I was going to get a ruger GSR, but I never could bring myself to face to face with the whopping pricetag. Not to mention, I played around with the scout scope idea on an AK, it was cool, but I tihnk I'm more of an iron sights kind of guy (despite my failing 24 year old eyes).

Anyway, I read an article on the FR8 carbine in 7.62x51. It has a nice mauser style fixed mag, which I prefer in a bolt gun over the box mag, is fairly lightweight, comes with a suppressor, and the best part: I found one for a much more affordable $400 (as compared to the ruger).

Anyway, I *should* be picking it up this week. I know to expect pretty stout recoil, strange but useful sights, and otherwise a rifle fairly similar to the M44 mosin but with a better radius, better weight, and obviously the different caliber.

What else can I expect?

I hear with irons it should be a good 3 to 4 MOA gun out to 300 yards or so, is that about right?

Where can I get cool stuff for it like bayonets or cleaning kits?

Is the faux gas tube really a cleanging kit compartment, or just a bayonet platform? (I've read conflicting reports)

Any tips to sharpen it up the accuracy or function without ruining it's old timey appeal?

·
(*.:.*)
495 Posts
...What else can I expect?
Check the head space. Mine will close on a .308 field reject gauge (but not one made for the 7.62 NATO).

I really recommend sticking with 7.62 NATO ammo (or handloads using NATO brass).

The barrels are basically CETME barrels, installed on a Mauser 1898 actions (the FR-7's are the same barrel, on an 1893 action).

I hear with irons it should be a good 3 to 4 MOA gun out to 300 yards or so, is that about right?
Usually better with the right handloads.

Where can I get cool stuff for it like bayonets or cleaning kits?
It takes the same bayonet as the CETME. You can find them on Gunbroker or eBay.
Also, here: Spanish FR-8 Cetme Bayonets - Keepshooting®

CETME cleaning kits will work, as will most any .30 caliber cleaning kit.

Is the faux gas tube really a cleanging kit compartment, or just a bayonet platform? (I've read conflicting reports)
The tube isn't really needed to mount the bayonet (only the end cap is). It can hold some cleaning supplies (mine came empty).

Any tips to sharpen it up the accuracy or function without ruining it's old timey appeal?
Glass bedding could help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I really like the FR-8's but had one with above mentioned head space issues. I ended up selling it to a collector because I was somewhat uncomfortable about the HS issue. I have a Ruger and it is worth the extra money to me. It works from the box and is easily serviceable through Ruger. I understand your delima, but you might want to try and save for the Ruger. If not, then you should have the HS checked before you buy the rifle. If it is good, then I bet you will get years of enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, well thanks for the info. How exactly do you check the head spacing? Just try to cycle rounds through?

Ecv, I'll hopefully pick up the Ruger sometime, but I don't think it's in the cards for this summer. Not at the moment anyway. I'm hoping by the time I am ready to buy one they will be a little more available.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Read this article:
Armed Canadian: Shooting .308 Out of 7.62 NATO Chambers
The author explains the whole headspace thing better and in more detail than I can.
When checking headspace on a Mauser-actioned rifle like the FR-8, remember that the bolt should be stripped (remove the striker assembly and the extractor) to get the greatest accuracy. Takes only a couple of minutes to do and doesn't require any tools.

Better to spend the $30 on a proper 7.62 NATO max headspace gauge from Brownells than taking your rifle to the local gunshop to have them check it. They will almost certainly have only .308 Win gauges, and will tell you that your rifle is unsafe because it closes on a .308 Win No-Go or Field gauge, but those are perfectly within NATO chamber tolerances. The gunshop won't have anything bigger than Field, so you still won't know anything.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I understand. I kind of lucked out and my FFL let me get one for cost just show other customers and get the word out. I bet you the FR8 will be in spec and they are getting hard to find, so enjoy it!

·
Registered
524 Posts
GDKPIKPWG: My FR8 was found:) by pure luck in Clarkesville TN (Allen's Guns) a few weeks ago.

After reading for over five hours on the Internet, a few topics I started produced some interesting results.

When comparing the military 'cup' pressure with civilian Saami, there is a 10,000 psi correction factor-unknown to many .308 shooters.

This means that 7.62 NATO equals about 58,000 psi, where commercial .308 is about 62,000 psi. Taking into account that the ammo test pressures were about 50% higher, the 4,000 psi difference should not be a factor. Even the paper clip test and other checks are fine after Eight reloads with 41 gr. of IMR 4064 for 170 grain bullets.

With my .308 field gauge from Numerich, the bolt barely turns at all.
The very seasoned gun smith here first reminded me to check the once-fired Win. brass, which still looks brand-new.

One of the other factors which generates a vast amount of concern on the 'Net is that people don't seem to understand that the FR7, built on older, much weaker (steel) small-ring Spanish 7mm Mausers, are not the same rifles as the FR8, built on later Spanish large-ring 8mm Mausers.

A front sight tool is very cheap.
I gave an extra front sight post to a very helpful friend. He sliced off the post and glued a roll pin to the base, which makes it about 2 mm higher than the original sight.
When fully elevated (where the set screw can keep it firm) you can use the 200 yard sight from 50 yards, though the top of the peep looks a bit flat as it overlaps the sight hood.
'Surplusrifle' has a guy's description of how he modified an extra CETME front sight base for his.

The recoil is a bit less than with my LE "Jungle Carbines" or Yugo Mauser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts