Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I heard some rumors as well. It looks like Ruger is expanding their horizons if the rumors are true. The Mini is such a classic design and it needs more support than what the factory is giving. Not just repairs but for updates as well. I think the Mini has the capability to steal some of the thunder back from the AR's if Ruger will let it happen. kwg

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Found this and looks exciting to say the least. Found in one 582 Tactical??

I would like to take credit for finding this but I found the pic in another forum.

View attachment 23982

No other information that can be shared but expect this to be a sign Ruger is listening and responding.
Would the beefier firing pin fit the previous models?? Past field stripping Im pretty ignorant so I apologize if thats a stupid question.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FP compatibility

As far as all the Mini 14 and 30 firing pins I have seen and worked with, they all should interchange.

Tip protrusion varies only a few thousandths but enough to require fitting each individually. Ruger has done a good job keeping these about the same throughout the years.

The new FP looks a little heavier and general opinion is sturdier too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are the tactical models the only ones that appear to have gotten the firing pin upgrade, or is it to be found in all new 582 models?
I'd like to know that too. I have a late issue 582 and my only concern with it has been over the fragile firing pin. I have considered sending the rifle back to Ruger for a spare bolt.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a late issue 582 and my only concern with it has been over the fragile firing pin.
The firing pin is not fragile. Do a couple here and there break, yes. But it's rare.

I am glad to see that Ruger is improving things here and there, though.

The new design isn't going to help much with FP breakage, though, IMHO. Most FP failure occurs at the thin tip. Now, if they improved the strength of the tip, that would be excellent news.

I own several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles, and have owned more over the years. I have had one FP failure, in a SS Mini-14 that I bought used. I put well over 10,000 rounds through it myself before the FP tip broke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.