Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to do some target practice the other day. Out of 50 rounds , seven didn't chamber completely. All 50 rounds were reloads , I resize the brass then trim to length .When i was done shooting , i pulled a bore brush through a few times , a dry patch, then a patch with some oil on it, breech to muzzle.The next day i decided to give my M1 carbine a thorough cleaning. I ran a patch with some solvent through the barrel muzzle to breech, I pulled out the patch and found these little black rings, after i cleaned them they appear to be brass. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If I had to guess, the shavings are either debris from case trimming that got into the cases somehow, or more likely, the case mouths are shaving jacket material off the bullets when they are being seated. I assume that you are flaring the cases enough before seating the bullet? Such shavings are commonly seen with cast lead bullets and straight wall pistol cases (albeit lead not brass/copper based) when seating is combined with crimping as one step.

The fact that some of the rounds are not fully chambering suggest the second suspicion.

Does any of the above seem to shed any light on the problem?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Were you shooting reloads? I suspect same as dahermit, jacket scrapings from bullet seating. If you reload chamfer your case mouths.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts