Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I never used steel Pro Mag magazines for the Mini-14 but their 30 round plastic ones are great. They work flawlessly and drop freely. The 20 round plastic one needed to be sanded down to drop freely but works perfectly. I don't trust aftermarket magazines except for Pro Mag and TAPCO, I've thrown out too many other ones.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The mags have really become available as of late. Academy, Cabelas and Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures (NOT the CTD that shafts people online) all have stocked shelves at decent prices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The mags have really become available as of late. Academy, Cabelas and Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures (NOT the CTD that shafts people online) all have stocked shelves at decent prices.
Have you been inside Cheaper than Dirt? The Fort Worth store is gouging just like the website. 50 dollars for 9mm ammo, 25 dollars for 223 ammo FMJ 20rd box, A brick of 22 for 100, Pmags were 40+ dollars a mag, etc.

They should call themselves Higher than Crap.

I will never shop there again!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Should specify that I was referencing the prices of the magazines and firearms....I haven't bothered to look at their ammo prices in years.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Should specify that I was referencing the prices of the magazines and firearms....I haven't bothered to look at their ammo prices in years.
How much are you willing to pay for a Magazine.

I call Cheaper Than Dirt - Higher than ****.

The store front in Fort Worth and McKinney are gouging the hell out of people. I agree with the other poster. Last time I was in the store they were charging 500% markup on magazines and ammo.

Example - Ruger Factory 30rd Mag, CDNN had for 35 bucks, CTD 110
30rd Pmag - 12.30 from MidwayUSA and 15 at Cabelas - Cheaper than Dirt was selling for 89.00
M1 Carbine Korean 15rd Mag - CDNN 8.00, CTD 30.00

Higher than **** are gouging at thier Storefront just like their website.

So unless you like paying double or more, boycott Higher than ****.

I truely hope they go bankrupt for gouging as they have lost a lot of customers over it. I will never shop there again.

Now their gun prices are hit or miss. I laughed when they had a Century Arms WASR-10/63 on the shelf for $1250.00, Mini-14 for over $1000.00. The only guns that were reasonable were "Some" AR-15's, and the bolt guns, handguns.

Again my business will go to Cabelas, Bass Pro, MidwayUSA, CDNN and anyone else besides Higher than ****

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually I have quite a few Promag steel 20 rounders and have never had a problem with any of them. Would say it's just blind luck but since there are 10 of them with hundreds of rounds through each I would say not. Pro Mag might have problems with some other mags but this one they seem to have gotten right. Oh and I bought my ten over the course of a year from three different sources so it's not just a good batch either---

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
McKinney doesn't exist to me (the town or the store):lol:

I can only reference the "old" CTDOA that remains in FTW, and the mag prices were in line with others when I was there Sunday. I was only there to help a buddy of mine check out a target AR that he was interested in.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Actually I have quite a few Promag steel 20 rounders and have never had a problem with any of them.
Yes, should note that I have 6 steel 20rnd ProMags and all run flawlessly in my 580 series. Academy has them in stock for $19.99 each...but I already have plenty.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
McKinney doesn't exist to me (the town or the store):lol:

I can only reference the "old" CTDOA that remains in FTW, and the mag prices were in line with others when I was there Sunday. I was only there to help a buddy of mine check out a target AR that he was interested in.
I was at the old "Cheaper than Dirt" in Fort Worth today.

The store front is still gouging on mags.

Surplus AK 30rd mag for 40 dollars. I can find them all day long local under 15 a piece.
Ar-15 Pmag30 for 40 dollars, I can get those for under 15 dollars.
Ar-10 Mag for 100 dollars, I can get the same for under 20
Ruger 30rd mag for Mini-14 was 90 dollars, I can get them for half that
Ruger 20rd mag for Mini-14 was 60 dollars, I can get them for 20-30 if I look online.

100rds of 22 long rifle (CCI) was 25 dollars.

Higher than Sh*t can go bankrupt for all I care. I hope they go out of business. They are the biggest gougers out there.

Its sad that cabelas is over 50-70% cheaper on mags and ammo, and its because they dont gouge.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think CDNN has the best prices and selection for mags. They have Ruger factory mags 20 rd for $30 and the Korean 30 rd mags for $16. After a few minutes with the dremel tool the Korean mags are just as good as the factory mags.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think CDNN has the best prices and selection for mags. They have Ruger factory mags 20 rd for $30 and the Korean 30 rd mags for $16. After a few minutes with the dremel tool the Korean mags are just as good as the factory mags.
Can you elaborate on what's involved in doing this?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can you elaborate on what's involved in doing this?
The top edges of the top of the mag were two high, which kept the mags from locking up. I trimmed about 1/16" off the top of the side walls with a Dremel grinding stone and they lock up tighter than the factory mags and you get that crisp distinct click like the factory mags when they lock up. The lips were perfect and have not had a single misfeed. The body, spring, and follower seem as good as the factory. They also made them long enough to load 30 rds and still have some give to allow loading the mag with the bolt closed. Most after market mags are too short and you have to load one fewer round to load with the bolt close. The only negative is the bottom plate doesn't lock and tends to loosen a little from the recoil. I bought 3 of them and they are identical with the same problem so it seems their quality control is pretty good with a minor design issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
No one has mentioned that Sportsmans Guide has 20 round blue steel mags for $8.99 ( made right here in the U.S.A).I bought one just to see what it was like. I was kind of skeptical with the price that low, but there is nothing wrong with it. Looks good. Functions as you would expect. They have a 4.8 out of 5 star rating. I had to tweak the lips to conform to the bullet casing. That was a 30 second job.

They also have 30 round mags for $10.79 and 40 round mags for $13.79. I think the prices are so cheap that they scare off buyers.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
IN **MY** Gun the only mags I've used that were 100% Reliable were:

1. Ruger Factory 20rd Mags
2. Ruger Factory 30rd Mags
3. ProMag 20rd Steel Mags (I have a lot of these and they are 20 bucks at Academy for me).

All other mags I've tried Jammed in my gun. Although my Ruger puts the ultimate test on mini-14 mags when shot in Full Auto.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.