Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found 5 bags of Lawrence shot in barn from WW2 or so. Must be about 25 lbs each. I have started to reload pistol and rifle from roof flashing mixed with linotype. Also got shot shell reloader but have not used for 12 or 20 yet.

Better to melt down the fairly oxidized shot (maybe 9 shot) and have ingots for bullets or better to keep for shot shells?

My main reload interest is 38 special and 45 GAP (forgive me) plus 30 30 winchester and rifle for my mini 30 and 14 plus remington 700 w gas checks for the rifles.

I am using 20lb lee pot and molds.

Suggestions or lead to similar thread appreciated,

New NRA lifer last week:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Found 5 bags of Lawrence shot in barn from WW2 or so. Must be about 25 lbs each. I have started to reload pistol and rifle from roof flashing mixed with linotype. Also got shot shell reloader but have not used for 12 or 20 yet.

Better to melt down the fairly oxidized shot (maybe 9 shot) and have ingots for bullets or better to keep for shot shells?

My main reload interest is 38 special and 45 GAP (forgive me) plus 30 30 winchester and rifle for my mini 30 and 14 plus remington 700 w gas checks for the rifles.

I am using 20lb lee pot and molds.

Suggestions or lead to similar thread appreciated,

New NRA lifer last week:)
I'd load them and shoot them. Oxide shouldn't make a bit of difference for effectiveness. I'd load 10 shells and pattern them, it it doesn't work out then it's time to melt down.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)If you're using shot cup type wads-then it should work just fine for shotgun,also-if it is that old it might not be as hard as modern shot,and you will need to add tin or linotype to it to make hard cast bullets that won't lead(solder)your barrel.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Agree with the above: load some and see how they shoot. No sense melting down shot, only to have to buy more later.
Size your cast bullets about 3 thou over groove diameter and leading will be minimal, even with a fairly soft alloy.
If you don't already, you might consider getting a cast iron pot and a propane burner to do all your smelting, rather than smelting in your LEE pot: it keeps any junk out of your casting pot.
A LEE hardness tester is fairly cheap and quite easy to use with only a little practice. I smelt a bunch of lead, cast it up into ingots, and check the hardness in a week. Write the hardness and weight of each ingot on it, and you can easily mix up with any BHN alloy you need.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When loading that old shot a lot of the lead oxide gets dusted off and ends up all over you and your reloading table. I suspect it is a source of lead exposure you could breathe in. So, I'd melt down the old corroded shot and use it for 38 & 45 pistol loads. Get a second hand cast iron pot at the goodwill that has a bail on it and smelt it over a gas stove outside. I pour mine into an aluminum muffin tray as an ingot mold.

Reactions: 40nascar

·
Registered
833 Posts
Shot is going for about 40 - 50 bucks for a 25 pound bag... If you can AFFORD to buy NEW shot... melt it down... I personally would rinse it off really well, dry it... and RELOAD IT! That removes the dustyness from the outside ... a 5 gallon bucket and some clean water... then set it out to dry on cookie sheets or similar... its not like you GOTTA RELOAD the shells with it, not just now... but RIGHT NOW...

·
Registered
447 Posts
When melting down the crap will come to the top. Take that off and you will be good to go. To make it hard add about 60% wheel weights and a little tin for some good bullets. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
39 Posts
The lead oxide dust is a concern other than that load it up in shotshells.
If ya just want to melt it then go right ahead.
A cast iron pot will help too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would not melt it down. Rather, I would sell or trade it. Lead is not that hard to find. However, somebody will likely give you quite a bit of cash for that much lead shot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just paid $52 for a bag of #8 shot I sure wouldn't be melting it. If you use a shotgun you will surely get a lot more use and value from it in that gun than melting it for bullets .I buy soft lead flashing for $1 a pound around here so you would be much better off keeping the shot and buying more lead for bullets.

·
Steve Cover
8 Posts
I'm with the clean it up and use it crowd.
Birdshot is selling for a whole lot more than scrap lead.
If you aren't going to use all of it, try using it as trade stock.

Don't melt a $50.00 bag of shot into $25.00 worth of lead ingots.

Mt 2 Cents

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts