Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just purchased my first AR-15. I want to change out the forend to a higher quality. I've been looking at ATI gunstocks and just want to know if anyone has used them I would have to change out the barrel nut so the forend can tighten down with set screws to it. Is that an easy thing to do? Also want to take off the front sight post to go with a 15" forend. So i would need a low-profile gas block. Once again i've heard 2 sides to that as well. Some say dont change some say it isnt a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thx
Shaun

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It's not a big problem if you have an armorers wrench to fit the barrel nut and a torque wrench, a few punches and hammer and some basic mechanical ability. The entire rifle is pretty simple to assemble or disassemble.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh It's Worth It!

Welcome smbenoit_79! :)

I would have to agree with what woodstock said.

One of the best ways that I know of to get the full enjoyment out of your new AR is to learn how to upgrade it to the way you would want it.

It might take a few tools at first, but they pay for themselves quickly, especially when you weigh that against gunsmith labor costs. $$$$$

And you can enhance it any way you want to in the future without some period of gunsmith "turn-around time", which could take quite a while.

I would suggest getting a good book on the subject to get a better understanding of what all is involved and then you can decide for yourself if you wish to take on that job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the responses. Talked to a friend at a gunshop and he said ATI were pretty cheap. So any sugestions on a company to use? I would like daniel defense but they r pretty exp. I just want something that is good quality that is a snug fit with no wiggle

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Thanks all for the responses. Talked to a friend at a gunshop and he said ATI were pretty cheap. So any sugestions on a company to use? I would like daniel defense but they r pretty exp. I just want something that is good quality that is a snug fit with no wiggle
I've got a MAKO stock and magpul MOE forearm, combined with a Blackhawk pistol grip. Love 'em all.

Only glitch is that the MAKO may not fit a commercial recoil tube properly, since its supposedly IDF issue for use on their mattel 16's. I think they've changed the design so the newer ones fit commercial tubes better - not sure. Mine is milspec'd so it wasn't an issue.

Good luck on your search for the "right" furniture. Lots of options out there.
Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Nice looking little rifle you have there grumpy-old-man. :cool:
Thanks much BRL;

Yours is cool too! Betcha you can outgroup me with the heavier fluted bbl and free floating forearm. Very nice. You runnin' 5.56 or 6.8? I've thought about putting together a second upper like yours only in 6.8. 'Course the day I do that I'll be looking into another lower so it never ends.

BTW, looks like you're using an ACT trigger group from the photo, is that right? My original DPMS trigger sucked and the ACT trigger group really made mine a lot easier to shoot well.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
182 Posts
Glad you like my rifle too Grumpy. :)

The Olympic Arms barrel is 5.56 chambered and the trigger is a Jewell 2-stage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.