Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did either of you guys get to see side by side training or shooting events with the MINI and AR 15 both envolved. Wich one had the higher failure rate?. I would think your DEPT,s issue Ruger manufactured magazines with the rifle? Also wich part on the MINI is most likely to break or need replacement most often? Are most of the rifles you work on stainless or blued? Whats the service life of a MINI? Ever come across a cracked reciever? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flak2, In my Department we have two types of weapons. One is the Mini-14 GB, the other is CAR15. Of the two the CAR15 is issued to our SERT team (similar to SWAT or SRT), and the GB is issued to our line staff. Of the two the CAR15 is easier to shoot, and the ergomonics are better than the Mini-14 GB. As far as accuracy and reliability/performance. The CAR15 is more accurate while the Mini-14 is more reliable. Yes, our GB's are issued with factory 20rd mags. The GB's we are issued are the stainless model KMINI-14/20GB. The most common part to need replacement on the GB is usually the extractor plunger and spring, with a broken firing pin coming in second, the next part would be a cracked/broken slide handle. I have found many of our service (training/range) GB's with cracked webs. This usually is returned to Ruger for replacement of the entire weapon. The service life of the GB's usually depends on how heavy the use is. However I have discovered new GB's (several months old) to have cracked webs after a day or two at the range. I have found the 186 serial number GB's to have poor service life or some type of problem. This serial number was manufactured around 1995-1999. The Ruger factory is now in the 196 serial number range, so hopefully the problems and short service have been worked out. I hope this helps, sorry its lengthy. R6721:rapid: :usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks R6721 thats the info I like to hear about. Excellent! I had heard about reciever failures and was told it affected the stainless models far more than the blued. But was not aware of any certain years or ser.# range. I know it's harder to cast and heat treat stainless than other steels. I've not broke a firing pin yet but have replaced the ejector and spring in one rifle. Also remember hearing about a cracked slide. If there are any AR fans around here you'll probably take a bashing on that dependability thing. But I believe your 100% on that. Why is it you think Ruger wants to factory fit firing pins? Are they afraid of to much protrussion and a slamfire? My only complaint is the restricted parts availability of certain parts,having to return the rifle to Ruger for repairs.Once again thanks for posting that info. Always nice to hear from someone that actually works on these things for a little insite. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flak2, one reason that Ruger might want to factory fit the firing pin is there are three sizes to a Mini-14 firing pin, standard helix, heavy helix, and super heavy helix. Also I would agree with you on the fear of too much protrusion. With the weapon being returned to Ruger, at least the owner will take comfort in knowing that the repair was made according to factory specs. And you are welcome I don't mind answering questions. R6721:usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks R6721 what do the three sizes have to do with? headspace or something else? I've got a couple spare firing pins from dismantled rifles I've had since mid 80,s. I've never looked at them close or compared them with any from the MINI,s I own. By helix do you mean the tail. That would maybe keep the rifle from firing when the bolt is not locked. thanks:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flak2, the main reason for the three sizes of firing pin helix is so the firing pin will float/slide freely when installed in the bolt. By helix, I mean the tapered part near the tail end of the firing pin. You will not be able to re-assemble the bolt if you have the bigger helix. As far as the weapon not firing when out of battery, the main reason for this would be a cracked/damaged web. R6721:D :usa:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks R6721. Thats something I had not known about. What vintage ser# are most of your dept. Mini,s? I take it all are the stainless models see'ins how they're a little less prone to rust and don't get that much personel attention . By the way you said GB models. You guys only get the semi autos no AC556. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flak2, basically the serial numbers range from the older 183 to the newer 196. The majority of our mini's are stainless, however we do have some blued mini's. As far as the ACC556, there are some issued to our department's "specialized unit". To answer Satan2655, the "web" is the piece of metal that is connecting both sides of the receiver. It is also the piece that you must fit your bolt into to reassemble your mini if you have removed the bolt from the receiver. I hope this helps. R6721:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
i have a question-------just what models are the law enforcement folks using, the model numbers that were mentioned dont mean anything to me, are they the standard mini rifles, or the ranch models? i hope this isnt a stupid question....the only models that i am aware of are the standard and the ranch model.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I saw a special on our correctional institutes in Wisconsin a few weeks ago, and all the prison guards had Mini-14 Ranch models.

This probably doesn't apply to the regular LEOs though.:p

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gutpile I think they mostly use GB model( goverment barrel). It has the flash hider and I've seen some with the front ramp sight(short barreled) on the gas block. I believe they take M 16 bayonet. Are friends up north can still own the GB but can only have 5rd mags if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
175 Posts
thanks flak, i have been a mini owner and shooter for 20 years, and i wasnt aware that there was a government barrel model mini out there... does the GB model have a heavier barrel? or is it the standard barrel with the addition of the suppressor?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Standard barrel. The best looking are those short barreled AC556. with a Ruger folding stock. I don't believe I've ever seen any law enforcement organization with them. Their for sure one clean package though.:rapid:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts