Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a used 184-**** serial number mini 14 ranch rifle from a friend last year. His father had used it for varmint hunting and coyote control around his farm. He needed cash, I needed (wanted?) a semi-auto .223/5.56 rifle.

BUT, I'm tall, with long arms (6'7 wingspan here). So I'm going to remove this wooden stock and provide myself a comfortable length of pull on this rifle. I've held a mini 14 with the TAPCO stock. Didn't much like it. I was hoping to learn from the experienced members of this forum (I've spent several hours reading as many mini-14 threads as I could find related to stocks and magazines on this site the last few days) if one of the folding stocks like Choate or Butler Creek (or another I don't know about) would expand that length of pull some. Or should I seek out a Hoage overmold which their website says is a little more than an inch longer than the mini-14 and a couple more than the ranch rifle.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Butler Creek has the same LOP as the factory wood stock and is not adjustible. The Hogue is one inch longer than the factory wood. I have both and like both. The Butler Creek is very well made and I had it on my 184 until I moved to California where it is considered an assault weapon with the Butler Creek folder. I then put it in the Hogue, which really improved the accuracy and the handling over the factory wood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a Hogue stock is about $70.00 I called Choate (I called more than just them but got through to Choate) and they say there are some spacer options to make a longer folder pad. LOP was 15.25 inches on the folder. Their standard stock is the same as the mini 14.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that archangel stock is very tackticool. I'm also positive it is heavy, add an optic, heavier. And then flashlight, laser... Anyway. That is great for the guys who want that stuff. I just want the rifle to fit me a little better. I shouldn't complain, I can put the dishes on the top shelf without a stool and lightbulbs are a piece of cake. But the ranch stock makes my mini 14 feel like a toy for LOP. I don't know how many guys like a folding stock and pistol grip over the rifle stock. And that is part of what I am trying to learn. I'd prefer to keep the weight down if I can. But my primary is to get something that fits. What is the maximum LOP on the archangel? Do you know?

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have had a Tapco stock on my mini-14 since 2010. It can be adjusted for small people or heavy clothing. Love it. Never cared for the folding stock ATI or any of that other crap. A mini is a mini.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts