Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Some people have said that I can not hunt with this round & then I asked & friend of mine, he said that know animal will like you shooting them with Full Metal Jacket or any other soft point bullet.

Another thing, he mentioned that if I like, he will shoot me & see how the .223 FMJ bullet would effect my performance within my daily life.

In Norinco ( cheap ammo ) .223 I only can get FMJ, would it be ok to hunt with?

What is FMJ made for? is it more to go through thick steel, a soft point bullet may not be able too?.

:ar15:

No Longer Involved
FMJ isn't for hunting. It's for plinking and for military use (cheap FMJ, anyhow).

Unless you are shooting really small varmints, and even then, you should stick with a nosler ballistic tipped or equivalent.

If you want to save the meat or pelt of the animal, use an expanding (not explosive!) round. Many varmint rounds are designed to disintegrate on impact, so the gopher goes bye-bye. Not good for an animal you want the meat or pelt from.

Also don't go shooting large animals like a deer with them. An experienced hunter can use a .223 in the right circumstances for deer, but based on your question, you aren't there yet.

Good luck.

No Longer Involved
I wasn't commenting on your shooting ability.

I was commenting on the fact that if you have to ask about the type of ammo for hunting, your aren't an experienced enough hunter to take larger animals (like deer) with a .223.

That statement has nothing to do with how accurate you are. It has to do with your ability to get close to game, and make cool decisions under pressure on whether it is ethical to risk a shot when you might only injure, not kill, the animal. Inexperienced hunters will err in that decision, and end up causing needless suffering in their prey.

FMJ isn't a wise choice for hunting. If you had to survive and all you had was FMJ, you could make do with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bill
I'm just trying to find the cheapest way to have fun, not wanting to spend to much on ammo ect.

The Mini 30, is the cheapest ammo in Norinco brand, you have a choice of FMJ & soft point. .223 has no choice with Norinco brand.

The cost of 1600 rounds .223 FMJ only, will get for the same price 2400 rounds 7.62 by 39 soft point or FMJ

I agree that hunting is not my area, love to go to the range & have fun with the guys.

:sniper:

Registered
Rumor has it the whole FMJ thing was a Geneva Convention (remember Hogan's Hero's) requirment that armies could not use soft or hollow pointed bullets as they were inhumane to use :)rolleyes: ) hence all military ammo is FMJ. (I'm being serious!)

You could use FMJ's for hunting, but it wouldn't be as effective as an expanding type bullet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about reworking the bullet, if it's a FMJ then I guess that under the metal jacket, their would be lead? is this correct?

It would be very easy to take the Jacket or the front part of the jacket off? maybe even drill a hole in the middle?

Need comments on this please

:p

Registered
Most FMJs are lead core, but some have a steel insert for armor piercing. Get a magnet and see if the bullet sitcks.
Cutting or drill may just work...just one way to find out :D
Keep in mind that you may have feeding problems in a mini with soft point bullets as the tips may not make it up the little ramp before they enter the chamber or lead may be shaved off causing a real cluster scrum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this is to much of a problem, to modify the FMJ projectile then what about replacing the projectile with a hollow point pistol projectile, that's if their is a projectile that's at or under 64 grains.

:eek:

Registered
I have read about G.I. in Vietnam nipping off the front 1/8" of their FMJ ammo with wire ***** to create a more lethal round. Never tried this, not recommending it.
But if push comes to shove, and I had run out of hollow and softpoints...:rolleyes:

Registered
djskit, a magnet is not the best way to test ammo for steel core or lead core. Some of the cheaper imported stuff has a steel jacket covering the lead core, all covered with copper. The only true test I've found is to cut one in half with a dremel......tip to tail.
I've cut a few AK rounds in two. to verify that it is steel core.

:sniper:

Registered
gunrunner, The FMJ bullets are the cheapest way to shoot for having fun. The reason fmj's are not recommended for hunting is, because they usually shoot thru the animal leaving a small hole. So the animal runs off, and bleeds to death slowly. Where as a balistic tip, hollow pt., soft point, or even a sniped off nose on a fmj, expand on impact, and as it penetrates, so the bullets energy is absorbed in the animals vitals, killing it quickly. Therefore is more humane. So take the fmj's and have a blast! :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks( goodorbit ) for this information, I will try this & hope that the bullet will accurate, after taking 1/8" of the bullet.

Hi cajungeo
I will try cutting down the bullet & see where this takes me, I will not be hunting that must anyway.

I will try different things, with the FMJ because it's fun to experiment with rifles ect.

:rapid:

Registered
FMJ's are bad for hunting anything above a ****/squirl. FMJ's are designed to penetrate @ 14 inches and then yaw up. FMJ's don't fragment much unless they come into contact with bone. The FMJ is used my all armies that signed the Geneva Convention. It was devloped to be more humane that a soft point, or a hollow point. But it also has it's advantages in war, If you shoot sombody with 1 fmj round it is likely to make em drop no matter where you hit em, however it just won't fragment. In other words it just punches a hole in em. This works for you if you use it right, If you shoot one man it takes 2 men to carry him out of the combat zone. So if you think about it with 1 fmj body shot you take 1 man out of action for good and 2 out temp. However with a SP or HP you would just kill the man and they wouldn't worry about it. Also FJM's have a mental advantage to them as well, It makes a soldier not want to fight as much when they see a man screaming for his life insted of just lying on the ground. No doubt FMJ's have saved many lives.

Even in the US there was a case at a LA Mcdondals where an man entered the store with an AK-47 and shot the place to hell. He shot a total of 39 people with 7.62x39 FMJ rounds, only 5 died. While that is still a horrible loss just think of how many people would have died if he had studied ballistics, Had he used hollow points or ballsitic tips or a meaner bullet the out come would have been very very different probly 34 dead and 5 living.

Most of the time if you are buying bulk ammo you can get the HP or SP for like $4 more. I think its worth it just because you kill whatever you hit in 1 shot, its not a ****ty death. Just remember the golden rule applies in hunting also, Shoot an animal the way you would want to be shot. Let it die fast and dont EVER leave an animal dying. Snap its neck or kick its face it. I am by no means an animal activist but I think its an asshole thing to do if you shoot em with the wrong round or don't get the job done.

Registered
gunrunner12 -

Just BE CAREFUL! I would definately NOT suggest using a hollow point pistol projectile. Maintaining headspace is crucial. If you alter the casing, the results can be disasterous. You are flirting with death and dismemberment if you don't know what you are doing.

Snipping off the tip of FMJ ammo sounds like it will ruin what little accuracy your Mini DOES have. I certainly can't see it improving your accuracy!

I would suggest "biting the bullet" :)D hehe) and just buy some manufactured hollow point/ballistic tip ammo for the extra money and only use it sparingly for your occasional hunting. No sense risking ruining your mini or getting a finger or two blown off to save a couple dollars.

No Longer Involved
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. If this were in the reloading section, I'd probably nuke it!

If you want to hunt, do the right thing and use a round designed for the prey involved (varmint vs. game).

Modifying FMJ rounds is just a ghetto way of trying to do something that you shouldn't be doing, if you take hunting as a moral responsibility.

Just my 2cents, and I'm shutting up now.

Registered
Actually in most states it's illegal to hunt with a non expanding bullet.
Soft point ammo for a .223 is pretty cheap. You only need a few boxes for hunting. Unless the coyotes organize and attack you in masses you only need a few rounds of "hunting ammo".
The last time I went hog hunting I got two hogs and only used 10 rounds of the box of 20 I got. A few of those were shot to adjust the sights to the ammo before the hunt. I still have the other 10 rounds of JSP .303 Brit in my ammo drawer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bill
NZ do not have any nukes, so I can not nuke this website. hehe :ar15:

What I'm thinking, after this weekend I will see how much the .223 soft point or hollow point projectiles only & see if it's cheaper than buying a hunting round,( total bullet ) if it works out to be cheaper then I will.

I will get advice first, then buy bulk FMJ then change the projectile ( with reloading advice ) & then I hope it will be ok, I mean how hard can it be, to change one projectile to another?????:eek: :sniper:

Registered
gunrunner, ole buddy----- it could be the last thing you do on this earth!!!!!!!!!! some friendly advice, don't go messen with taking a bullet out of a cartridge, and put in another. No experienced reloader would do this. The type and quantity of powder, the bullet seating depth, the type of primmer, applying impropper pressure on the primmer, any one of these things could blow it up in your face! I've seen the remains of a gun blown up in a guys face, because he had an improper charge in the cartridge. Whats left of the gun is on display at our gun club. He lived, but lost an eye. So please don't mess with this without an experienced reloader helping ya. Besides it takes some special reloading equipment, and knowledge about reloading. If you want to go hunting, buy a couple boxes of hunting cartridges. Ask your local gun dealer what he would recommend. There have been several years in my life I went home after deer season with out firing a shot. A hunter dosen't shoot much. If he's lucky a single shot is all he needs. Now I don't mean to be telling you what to do or not to do, thats up to you, and I don't mean any offence, just a cajun passing on some savy. I hope this helps ya.:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts