Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am a new (noob) mini owner! Cool rifle. I am looking at getting a red dot and low mount but I was wondering if flip-up sights wouldn't be a good back up... Im not a big fan of the sighting, especially the rear.

Pro's and cons of flip ups?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've been looking at 'em too as a potential future purchase, but don't know too much about 'em yet. Is your goal for the flip-ups to cowitness with the red dot?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I was thinking pretty much just the opposite when I have the Dot on, I don't want to see the rear and front sights in the sight picture. But when I take the dot off or I absolutely need the Irons ... they are available. Plus I really like the way the AR Rear sights have the two aperatures to switch between in the back. Thats my one complaint about the mini... the rear aperature covers a big area at 100 yards!

AllI have really done to it is the accustrut thusfar.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yes there are some available options. I installed an Eagle brake that has the HK type front sight and it is a big + over the stock blade. unfortunately Eagle is makeing few of these now and may be hard to locate. rear sight options are easier to come by I think.
welcome to the Mini page johncatz

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have tried mounting a quick flip up sight on a mini. It involved mounting a modified ruger scope base to weaver rail (forget the brand) and a low profile flip up AR platform intended front sight on an amega ranges front scope base. It worked great and co-witnessed with an aimpoint perfectly. Problem...they were so high from the bore level that they threw off the feel of the gun. It was a solution to a nonexistant problem.

If you were good with hand tools I imagine you could machine a base adapter to fit the ruger factory rear sight groove and install some kind of flip up sight.

An amega ranges scout scope rail will allow for you to use the factory sights UNDER the red dot you mount on the scout rail...

Throw a quick disconnect scope mount on there and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that is kind of the reason I figured. I am hoping as the 580 series becomes a little more mature people will come out with more options as far as sighting. Who knows, maybe I will make one :) But what I was thinking is getting a flip up that attached to the barrel and a short flip up for the rear.

too bad the Williams doesn't fit the 580. I like the idea better. But I am not having any problems with it right out of the box + Accustrut. Don't fix it if ain't broke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts