Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in finding a replacement flash suppressor for the Mini-30 that will help reduce muzzle jump. I'm shooting steel targets @ 100 yards with a scope and bipod and there is enough muzzle jump when firing that I don't get to see my hit. I quickly get back on target and see my steel target dancing around but I miss the initial hit. :cannon:

Gun seems to jump left as much as it does up . Is that really happening or am I just making that up in my head :wacko:?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
you got to pick one.. flash hider or muzzle break. No cake and eat it too.

·
Banned
412 Posts
I'm interested in finding a replacement flash suppressor for the Mini-30 that will help reduce muzzle jump. I'm shooting steel targets @ 100 yards with a scope and bipod and there is enough muzzle jump when firing that I don't get to see my hit. I quickly get back on target and see my steel target dancing around but I miss the initial hit. :cannon:

Gun seems to jump left as much as it does up . Is that really happening or am I just makin:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::huh:
how about a muzzle break smarty ?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts

Gun seems to jump left as much as it does up . Is that really happening or am I just making that up in my head :wacko:?
no - it's not in your head -
are you not preloading your bipod? the rifle has a tendency to pull up and to the left if you don't

lean into the bipod (if it folds forward) or pull back on it (if it folds back towards you) and put some tension on the legs before taking the shot.

that should help... allot.

My .270 does the same thing.

A good muzzle brake will reduce muzzle flip during rapid fire - but it won't stop the "to the left" pull you are seeing shooting on the pod.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lean into the bipod (if it folds forward) or pull back on it (if it folds back towards you) and put some tension on the legs before taking the shot.
I am hesitant to preload the bipod on rifles where the stock forend makes contact with the barrel. It seems this could induce forces upon the barrel and impact accuracy. I'll try it though.

·
i like the details
254 Posts
you got to pick one.. flash hider or muzzle break. No cake and eat it too.
Thats not entirely true. The bird cage flash hider was designed to reduce muzzle rize (in addition to reducing the dust signature) thats why there isnt a finger cut in the bottom of the hider and the V-10 cuts on a springfeild 1911 do this exact thing too, and the Primary Weapons FSC556 brake flash hider. And of course, supressors do both.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Thats not entirely true. The bird cage flash hider was designed to reduce muzzle rize (in addition to reducing the dust signature) thats why there isnt a finger cut in the bottom of the hider and the V-10 cuts on a springfeild 1911 do this exact thing too, and the Primary Weapons FSC556 brake flash hider. And of course, supressors do both.
huh.. i didnt think flash hidders really worked well as muzzle breaks and vice versa. What would be a good break that also serves as a good flash hidder? (other than a suppressor of coarse.)

·
i like the details
254 Posts
huh.. i didnt think flash hidders really worked well as muzzle breaks and vice versa. What would be a good break that also serves as a good flash hidder? (other than a suppressor of coarse.)
Well, a flash hider techincally doesnt hide anything, it just fans the blast out in a pattern with low frontal area, like a star shape with long fingers instead of a big fireball. So most brakes do the same thing, but calling it a hider causes some problems in some states, ergo its ONLY a brake. The big open brakes like the JP dont really change the blast pattern so they probably wont hide much, There are a handfull of brakes that claim both.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i can get you started: Muzzle Devices | AR-10, LR-308 | Gun Parts by Gun Make & Model | Gunsmithing & Gun Parts |

Ive been thinking about the Bennie Cooley myself.
Thanks for the link, King. So my Mini-30 has a 5/8"-24 thread adapter now, correct? Has anybody installed a muzzle brake on their Mini-30 and can vouch that it reduced the muzzle jump?

At the range today I noticed pretty much every gun I saw that had a muzzle brake (mostly all kinds of variants of AR's) had no bottom openings so they were already designed to assist with muzzle jump.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Thanks for the link, King. So my Mini-30 has a 5/8"-24 thread adapter now, correct? Has anybody installed a muzzle brake on their Mini-30 and can vouch that it reduced the muzzle jump?

At the range today I noticed pretty much every gun I saw that had a muzzle brake (mostly all kinds of variants of AR's) had no bottom openings so they were already designed to assist with muzzle jump.
damn you still havnt figured it out ?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Someone posted a link with some pictures of a pin on style adapter that you could swap out threaded brakes with. Iron Artist, a member here also made a similar model for sale. I have not seen him post in a while, maybe he will share his pictures.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts