Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine if I can thread my barrel as is for a flash suppressor. The barrel mic's at .620. 5/8ths is .625.

My question is do the threads cut deep enough that I can put a 5/8-24 supressor on my barrel? I won't have a set back for a crush washer so I was intending on sticking it with red loctite.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I'm trying to determine if I can thread my barrel as is for a flash suppressor. The barrel mic's at .620. 5/8ths is .625.

My question is do the threads cut deep enough that I can put a 5/8-24 supressor on my barrel? I won't have a set back for a crush washer so I was intending on sticking it with red loctite.
You can thread it for the 1/2-28. Buy the adaptor that goes from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1/2 will require it to be lathed down yes? I can find 1/2-28 flash hiders for 7.62 so no need for a 5/8 adapter for that. I like the Phantom AC1 so I might hone it for 7.62. It is a 1/2-28 for 5.56.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I assumed you really wanted to put a 30 cal can on the gun eventually so hence the adapter reply. There are many options for the 1/2-28 thread pattern in terms of flash hiders/breaks

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a rather slick set up like the Phantoms have where you can run with the flash hider and it also has external threads for a supressor but no supressor for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd think the red Loctite will shoot loose, least it always does for me. I'd use it but have a back up with a set screw(s) or pin it if you want it permanent.

I'm interested on what you come up with and hope you post a few pictures. I've done several AK's and SKS's, but never threaded a Mini.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered the 5/8-24 muzzle thread kit from CNC Warrior which comes with the bore pilot and I also ordered a AR .308 A2 style bird cage flash hider, also 5/8-24. Just for insurance I plan to check my bullet clearance but it should be ok.

Just to reiterate, I cut my barrel down to 16 1/2" and have no plans to re-install the front sight. It will not press onto the barrel now which mic's at .620.

I will post my install and test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini-14 barrel threading in Kalifornia -NOT!!!

I contacted a local gunsmith here in Orange County Kalifornia asking him to thread my Mini-14 to accept a 1/2 x 28 muzzle brake and/or flash suppressor. Here is my email request and his reply and I quote:

"I have a series 180 Mini-14 purchased in 1977 for $126. I would like the muzzle threaded 1/2 x 28 to accept a threaded muzzle brake.
Can you do this? If so, do you want me to disassemble the rifle down to the barrel? Or can I bring you the barrel with the receiver still attached? I do not have a barrel vise so it would be difficult to remove the receiver from the barrel."

"Due to California regulations when threading a mini 14 I must PERMANTLEY weld the muzzle break to the weapon.
I currently do not thread mini 14's for the above and other technical issues.

The Orange County Gunsmith"

So I contacted Scott Null owner of Savage Gunsmithing/ S&S Sporting in Idaho. He'll do it for $110 which includes return shipping and I don't have to remove the receiver from the barrel. I got this reference from your forum.
Thank you guys and gals.

Tony Cassens
La Habra Heights, Kalifornia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.