Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm new here, and I did take time to do a search but didn't find the answer to my question.

Other than protecting the muzzle what are the advantages to having a flash suppressor on the newer model Mini 14?

Are there any disadvantages to the flash suppressor?

Thanks,
Ed

·
HeyMatthew.com
25 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm new here, and I did take time to do a search but didn't find the answer to my question.

Other than protecting the muzzle what are the advantages to having a flash suppressor on the newer model Mini 14?

Are there any disadvantages to the flash suppressor?

Thanks,
Ed
I think the practical purpose of a flash hider is to do just that, hide the muzzle flash coming from your rifle. In a tactical or battle situation you would want this to keep your enemy from seeing the direction from which you were firing. If they can't see the burst of fire coming from your muzzle, they can't find out where you are.

But we all know that the Mini isn't good that far out so they'd probably see you anyway. Haha! :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Weight on the end of your barrel in most cases with help tame some of the barrel harmonics which in turn can increase accuracy.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find it has been proven many times over to work effectively on the Mini.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
If you shoot a lot, it helps to keep the muzzle rise down and target in site. It does make the shots louder, directs the muzzle blast up and back more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Look on You Tube for video showing the Mini's raw muzzle blast VS one with a flash hider.
You'll be amazed at what erupts from the business end of a Mini.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I think the practical purpose of a flash hider is to do just that, hide the muzzle flash coming from your rifle. In a tactical or battle situation you would want this to keep your enemy from seeing the direction from which you were firing. If they can't see the burst of fire coming from your muzzle, they can't find out where you are.

But we all know that the Mini isn't good that far out so they'd probably see you anyway. Haha! :lol:
this is incorrect - the purpose of a "flash hider" is to not necessarily to hide the flash down range - it's for the shooter, to reduce flash and sight picture interruption in low light situations...

which - incidently, is around the time of day that most game animals are most active. ergo, a flash hider does have some legitimate use off a battlefield.

and as for your comment about the mini not being "good" far out - the 5.56 round is still quite effective on unarmored targets out to 400 yards or so - especially out of an 18 or 20 inch barrel... I wouldn't stand in front of a mini at 400 yards, would you? that would be "far out" for an intermediate cartridge like the 5.56 or x39.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
If you shoot a lot, it helps to keep the muzzle rise down and target in site. It does make the shots louder, directs the muzzle blast up and back more.
no, that is what a muzzle brake does. and it does NOT make the shot louder, it simply redirects MORE of the shot signature back towards the shooter thus changing what the shooter hears. the raw noise Impulse is still the same, but with a muzzle brake you might (depending on design) hear more of it.

a flash hider is designed to allow the gasses of the shot to blend with ambient air, expand and cool a little.

as for the bit of extra weight on the barrel - it can effect barrel harmonics enough to change POI. sometimes negatively, most times positively.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is the main benefit. You can't hide muzzle flash, unless you use a silencer, which in turn only works with low power loads.

These days a lot of people are calling silencers "suppressors" so be careful how you use the word.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
This is the main benefit. You can't hide muzzle flash, unless you use a silencer, which in turn only works with low power loads.

These days a lot of people are calling silencers "suppressors" so be careful how you use the word.
not quite...

you can use a full power load - and the sound of the cartridge firing will be reduced, but the sonic crack of the bullet leaving the Suppressor can at 1116+ feet per second will still be present.

now if you do your part - this sound won't be heard by the target, since most full power rifle loads are doing far more than 1116 fps at the muzzle and the bullet is going to get down range before the sound does.
also the sonic crack is funny - if the bullet passes an object close by on the way down range... like say a tree, it'll sound like the noise came from it.

a Suppressed full power load is still quite a bit quieter than an unsuppressed shot. usually quiet enough to fire without ear protection

But - if you use a Subsonic load, it gets quieter still, generally a Subsonic load is a "heavy for the caliber" bullet with a colder powder load
of course you'd have to rezero to compensate for the more parabolic trajectory of such a round. and in the case of 5.56 - the effect on target at all but close range is questionable, as in order to really do what its best at you want the round to be doing around 2000fps on target. otherwise what you have is a really fancy, heavy .22 bullet which is the ballistic equivalent to an icepick. really nasty if you hit something really important... sot so bad if you don't.
this is why rounds like the .300 whisper or .300 AAC blackout are popular when paired with a can - you can use a subsonic, heavier/wider slug. that actually makes a more respectable hole in whatever you are shooting at.
when dealing with a low velocity missile - a bigger hole is a good thing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I couldn't care less about my Mini-30s flash hider; I wanted the tactical version simply because it was all black. ;)
I'm drawn to the all black NRA version with the 16 inch barrel, no flash hider and the soft Hogue stock mainly because of its looks. It reminds me of the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine I carried back in the day. But before I purchased that NRA version, I wanted to know if there was any downside to not having the flash hider. Thanks to you guys here on this board, I have a better idea of the advantages and disadvantages of the flash hider, which is exactly what I was hoping to find out in the first place.

I don't need a Mini 14. I just want one. I don't hunt any more, or want to do long range high accuracy shooting, nor expect to be in a firefight where not having a flash hider would expose my position. Home defense is always a possibility, but I doubt I would need it for that either. I've lived in the same place for almost 70 years and I haven't heard of a single case where someone would have needed a firearm for HD, even though plenty of folks around here do have them just for that. I just want to go plink with my buddies, so it looks like the the non flash hider version will suit me just fine.

Buying a Mini 14 sort of reminds me of when I bought my first computer in the early 80's. In trying to figure out what to sell me, the salesman asked me what I was going to use the computer for. "I don't know," I said. "I just want one." It's the same thing with this rifle. I just want one, and since the looks of the NRA Mini 14 are what's calling me, I think it will do just fine.

I'll be around here lurking, learning more about the Mini 14.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They do look cool...Hmmm! Good one K1500!

·
Registered
218 Posts
not quite...

you can use a full power load - and the sound of the cartridge firing will be reduced, but the sonic crack of the bullet leaving the Suppressor can at 1116+ feet per second will still be present.

now if you do your part - this sound won't be heard by the target, since most full power rifle loads are doing far more than 1116 fps at the muzzle and the bullet is going to get down range before the sound does.
also the sonic crack is funny - if the bullet passes an object close by on the way down range... like say a tree, it'll sound like the noise came from it.

a Suppressed full power load is still quite a bit quieter than an unsuppressed shot. usually quiet enough to fire without ear protection

But - if you use a Subsonic load, it gets quieter still, generally a Subsonic load is a "heavy for the caliber" bullet with a colder powder load
of course you'd have to rezero to compensate for the more parabolic trajectory of such a round. and in the case of 5.56 - the effect on target at all but close range is questionable, as in order to really do what its best at you want the round to be doing around 2000fps on target. otherwise what you have is a really fancy, heavy .22 bullet which is the ballistic equivalent to an icepick. really nasty if you hit something really important... sot so bad if you don't.
this is why rounds like the .300 whisper or .300 AAC blackout are popular when paired with a can - you can use a subsonic, heavier/wider slug. that actually makes a more respectable hole in whatever you are shooting at.
when dealing with a low velocity missile - a bigger hole is a good thing
exhibit A : smith and wesson 300 blackout I load a 220 grain low velocity expanding bullet from outlaw state bullets to a velocity of 1040 fps . It sounds like somebody breaking an air hose apart .

exhibit B : rock river 308 shooting 147 grain fmj at 2800 fps . sounds like a 22 lr high velocity round. you dont really hear much noise at the rifle but can here the crack when it goes past an object

1 - 20 of 26 Posts