Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into a discussion with the local gun gurus at the shop today. Subject of flash hiders came up. My recent ranch acquisition is a pre ban that came with fh attached. Everyone seemed to agree that a fh on a postban mini is a no-no. The question that pops into my mind is then how does Springfield get away with fh on the M1A??

Opinions anyone??

(Full disclaimer notice: I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV, but if M1A owners can get away with it, why not mini owners?)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Grinch is correct you can only have 2 EVIL features on a postban American built rifle. With the Mini you already have a detachable magazine so you can have a Flash hider because it does'nt have a pistol grip stock. A folding stock would not be allowed instead of a flash hider because they all have pistol grips. Thats why all the imported AK's have U.S. parts to keep there imported parts count below 10( I think is the number) to be considered a American built rifle. This allows the pistol grip and Detachable mag. Now if someone came out with a folding stock that did'nt have a pistol grip that would be interesting. There is a company that make such a stock for Remington 700's bolt actions. This is why when you buy a Muzzle Brake you should ask if it has been BATF approved if you'll be installing it with a stock like the Choate pistol grip stock or a pinned folding stock. There have been a few moremuzzle brakes sold before being BATF approved. Tapco and DSA have had to resolve ( recall) problems with BATF. And there was a brake made for the MINI that was deemed by the BATF as beeing a flash hider ( can't remember the name now ) never hurts to ask before you buy your brake if it come with a BATF letter of approval though.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Flak2 ~almost~ has it right.

:)

You are allowed a SINGLE evil feature on a SEMI AUTO rifle with a removeable magazine. Not 2 features with the magazine being one.

In other words, if you have a Garand (no removeable magazine), you can put on a flash hider, a folding para-stock, a bayo lug, and pistol grip on the parastock.

OR, alternately, if your rifle isn't semi-auto, you can do anything you want to it, removeable magazine or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.