Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm now looking at replacing the front sight and slip on/pin on Fed Ord flash hider on my 189 Series Mini-30 and, adding a flash hider/front sight combo, to the 180 Series Mini-14 I just got.

I like the Mo-Reaper, nice sight but, at $122 each, that is a step price compared to other's. I'm sure they are worth it but, OUCH! There is also Choate, 2 for the 14 and 1 for the 30. The True Shots looks cool. It's a two piece design which I wouldn't be too sure about though, without seeing one in person. Is there anything else out there, I'm missing? Oh, there is the big ugly one out there that has the bayonet lug on it. Too ugly for even me.

For the 30, I've thought too of a screw on FH and then using a factory three blade front sight I have that will fit the barrel. Or a screw on FH and get an Arm's Room Gas Block sight. Which would look really cool me think's. Cost start's running really high there though.

Those out there with Mo-Reaper's, are they worth the much higher price?

Decision's decisions...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have one of this older mosen fh with the bao lug, they are almost 5" long!!! They are a little crazy, I'm thinking about cutting my barrel to 12" and preeminently attaching that mosen. It would look awsome with a blade hanging under my mini.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes the Reaper is worth it. I had a True Shot on my 30 and it was fine. Both will serve you well so have confidence in either product.

401 Posts
I have a question also.

I have a 581 series ss mini-14 Ranch model. I want to cut the barrel down and permanently attach a Choate M-14 style flash hider. I have a socom accu-strut already on the rifle.

My question: How far down would you suggest I cut the barrel for a happy medium of improved accuracy and good looks? Of course I would have this work done by a qualified gunsmith.

Anybody out there have a similar combination willing to post a photo?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the Reaper is worth it. I had a True Shot on my 30 and it was fine. Both will serve you well so have confidence in either product.
Very cool, thanks for the info. I have a very heay lean towards the Mo-Reaper for both. Will have to save a little longer. Only draw back.

Cool thing last night. A member contacted me aboout a post I had for a used Accu-Strut SOCOM. That should be coming in sometime next week, for the Mini-30.

Would like to put one on the 180 Series 14 but, the gas block is different and they only way I can see to do it is remove the sling loop. And not too sure I want to do that. Don't want to mess with it too much, other then a flash hidder. Or should I stay PC and say Muzzle Break? :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read here, that several members have cut their rifle's down to 16 1/2" - 16 1/4", with great results. Gun Doc, who many here have used, can take care of it for you.

I have also read here, there has been a few even shorter, using the M-4 style Choate Flash hider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed the mo-reaper on my rifle and just took off an old eagle muzzle break with the hk type sight post, the Mo-reaper rocks and was well worth the money, and if you buy one with the mo-rod your looking at 199 which was worth it. I also installed a tech sights rr200 rear sight to replace the one on my non-ranch 186 series mini14. well worth the money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not enough good things can be said about the Mo-reaper it's well made with solid construction. You can tell it was created focusing more on quality rather than maximizing profit. When it comes to your firearm you really want the best.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I am hoping that the no sight mo reaper which will be coming out annnyyy dayyy now(I wish) will not cost as much as the sighted mo reaper because it will be simpler and easier to manufacture. Still waiting for those to appear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got mine from sunflowerammo.com bought it on Monday and had by Friday
I've read good things about sunflower.com. Which is really cool. There are many out there, that could really carless about the customer.

I'm saving my pennie's for at least one Mo-Reaper. I was tossing around the idea of Choate but, I have re-thought that one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm saving my pennie's for at least one Mo-Reaper. I was tossing around the idea of Choate but, I have re-thought that one.
On the choat didn't they have a model that the roll pin has to be installed on the bottom? if you have a non ranch model it's also worth looking into the Tech-Sights RR220 http://www.sunflowerammo.com/Tech-SIGHTS-RR200-RR200.htm the sight picture is so much better than the factory, and you can adjust it by fingertip ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the choat didn't they have a model that the roll pin has to be installed on the bottom? if you have a non ranch model it's also worth looking into the Tech-Sights RR220 Tech-SIGHTS RR200 the sight picture is so much better than the factory, and you can adjust it by fingertip ;)
Yeah, all of Choate's flash hiders use 1/8 roll pin, that need to be sloted different from the factory slot. The one I have on my Mini-14 actualy has two on the bottom, plus a set screw.

Know all about the RR200 from Tech Sights. One is on my short list. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish they made a version of the Mo-reaper without the front hooded site. I switched from the factory side-folder stock on my 581 to an Archangel stock rendering the front site useless and would look pretty silly with it on there. Pretty much my only option is to take it to a smith to have the barrel threaded so I can attach something on there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i do wish they drilled a hole on the top of the sight hood, it would make adjusting the front sight pin height easier or easier to swap out for a fiber optic sight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts