Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I posted about my first range visit to sight in my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. No matter how much I adjusted the sight, the rifle still shot consistently to the left of my target. I was able to fire tight groups (dime size), but there was obviously a problem with the sights. Thanks to the members of this forum, I was able to determine it was a common problem on Mini-14s that Ruger is willing to fix. They told me to mail it to them with a letter detailing the problem. I had no problem with the fact that it might take a few weeks or a month to get my rifle back, but I did run into another problem. I can't find a box to mail the rifle in. I live close to the border of Mexico, so when I ask for a box that would fit the rifle most people just turn their backs. Are FFLs the only people allowed to mail firearms, even if it is to the manufacturer?

And, as an alternative to mailing it in, if I installed flip-up front and rear sights, could that fix the problem? Or is this an internal problem that prevents any plausible adjustments?

I may just buy another Mini, and turn my current one into a project.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You can mail a rifle or shotgun US mail or ship a handgun UPS or Fed Ex yourself to the manufacture or a gunsmith/FFL for repair or service according to Federal law and they can send it back to you. State law may very. FFL's can mail handguns US mail.

I don't know what the deal is getting a box. Most FFL's if they have one will give or sell one for 5 to 10 bucks. The last one I got from my FFL had been used a few times (labels had been pulled off or blackened out) and I gave the new box Winchester sent my rifle in back to him.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I know it should be on Ruger's dime, but you might simplify things by buying a TechSight for it. No guarantee it will fix the sighting problem (it did on my 185), but it probably will. Plus if you shoot open sights chances are you will want a TechSight eventually in any case. Might just save you the aggravation of boxing/shipping/receiving etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can go to any golf shop and ask them for a box to ship golf clubs and cut it down to the right length. They usually have tons of boxes in the back that they receive golf clubs in.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You can go to any golf shop and ask them for a box to ship golf clubs and cut it down to the right length. They usually have tons of boxes in the back that they receive golf clubs in.
Thats a good idea. I'm not a golfer but I have seen those boxes and they would work well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Golf and shooting are my two weekend activities. I've read a lot of tips on here about accurizing a Mini, but does anyone know how to make my driver a minute of fairway weapon? After a few beers, the driver tends to string all over the place.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Golf and shooting are my two weekend activities. I've read a lot of tips on here about accurizing a Mini, but does anyone know how to make my driver a minute of fairway weapon? After a few beers, the driver tends to string all over the place.
LMAO!:lol:

Maybe the driver needs a strut?;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just want to clarify something that was posted earlier. Unless something's drastically changed in the recent past, the manufacturer cannot mail the gun directly back to you unless you are an FFL holder.

You can mail it directly to them, but they must send the gun back through an FFL.

In simple terms, as per the law anyone can send a firearm, but the person or entity on the receiving end must always hold an FFL - or C&R if the gun meets that criteria.

Edited to add: .I just looked it up and it appears that it may indeed vary from state to state. In Maine my gunsmith told me he had to run a background on me just to get my gun back from him in person!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a long time lurker and first time poster but this thread, I've seen similar ones too, has prompted me to respond.

I've got 2 mini tacticals, 581 and 582 series, and was initially quite disapointed when my first one shot a good group - to the left. I adjusrted my rear sight all the way to the right until it could go no further and I couldn't quite get the group on target. Sooo - I contacted Ruger and they told me to mail it to them. But, I was lazy. I didn't like the rear peep aperature nor the threaded adjustment anyways so I figured I'd try the TechSight and see if that was a solution and if that didn't work then I'd go through the hassle of sending it back.

I screwed on the TechSight and it's been fine ever since. I still feel there's something possibly wrong, but the darn thing shoots so well I'm not sure I care that the rear aperature is adjusted fairly far to the right. I'm on target at all realistic ranges and that's what matters.

I got a 582 series as well and before I ever fired it I put on the TechSight and was surprised to find that after zeroing my rear sight was set an identical distance to the right as my 581 series. The TechSights gave me more windage adjustment than the stock one did hence my ability to get on target. I also like the smaller peep aperature - gives me a better sight picture.

Anyhow, thanks for tolerating my rambling. Hope something works out for you - the new sight did for me. (I also recomend getting some Testors flourescent paint and painting back of the front sight blade)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just want to clarify something that was posted earlier. Unless something's drastically changed in the recent past, the manufacturer cannot mail the gun directly back to you unless you are an FFL holder.

You can mail it directly to them, but they must send the gun back through an FFL.

In simple terms, as per the law anyone can send a firearm, but the person or entity on the receiving end must always hold an FFL - or C&R if the gun meets that criteria.

Edited to add: .I just looked it up and it appears that it may indeed vary from state to state. In Maine my gunsmith told me he had to run a background on me just to get my gun back from him in person!
Yep - it's all over the place - different states have different rules. I've sent rifles for factory service and received the rifles back directly via USPS. Friends have done the same thing. Repaired or replacement can generally go directly back to the owner but, and a big but, a replacement firearm must be registered as it is considered a new gun, with different serial number, which replaces an existing firearm. I've even sent in a pistol for service and it was shipped directly back to me but not via USPS.

If anyone wants to get really confused - try reading the firearms purchasing and shipping requirements and laws from different states.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Like I had said state laws may vary. I sent a Ruger gp100 to Ruger through my FFL a year or so ago to take advantage of cheaper shipping and he gave me a call when he got it back.
I walked into his shop and he handed me the box and told me to have a nice day. No background check or paperwork on my end, he had opened the box and checked the serial number and I'm not sure whether he had to log it in and out of his books or not. I'll ask him next time I'm down that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.