Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my new Mini-14, and I worked a little in the forend, where it fits into the gas block, so when you set the barrel into the stock, there is no binding.
Now, I have started to work on the hand guard, as when you put it on, and set it in to the stock, there is a slight binding feel, between the gas block, and thetop flat of the stock where the hand guard sits.
I feel if I can loosen this up, it will let the barrel float? better?
I worked a little material off the bottom of the hand guard with a emery screen, but now I wonder if I can take enough off, to compensate for the srping clip holding the hand guard to the barrel?
Am i headed in the right direction? -OR- just wasting my time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lance,
It sounds like you are taking the right approach. Anything that keeps that skinny-assed barrel from flopping around when a round is going down the tube isn't good. The trick is getting it to wiggle the same way every time. Consistant and repeatable harmonics that is, for all the techical guys.

Have you glass bedded the action? It ought to have a positive impact on the accuracy.

I also heard a guy recommending taking the gas block apart. Use sand paper and mineral spirits(lube for the sanding)on a piece of glass to remove .030" from the mating surface of the top piece. Do the sanding in a figure eight pattern. Use an inch pound torque wrench to evenly tighten the bolts when you reassemble the gas block. There is no specified torque setting, so the idea is to get them all uniformly clamping the barrel. Use lock-tite on the bolts to prevent them from backing out.

I just bought a used stock and hand guard off of Ebay to camo up for varmint hunting. I figured I would try some of the tricks you are talking about too since it's not my one & only piece of furniture. I plan on trying out a bunch of accuracy ideas and ending up with a bug hole shooter for less than $50. Okay, tightening up the groups a little bit and not spending $1000 at ARS is probably more realistic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lance -I have been thru what you are doing here's my results
1)lapped gas block both top & bottom
2)removed metal ring on forunt of stock
3)didn't remove tabs from bottom of gas block
4)installed recoil buffer but trimmed the front edges to fit profile of stock
5)trimmed hand guard at the front lip were it fits under the gas block.i left a small gap so it on longer touches the gas block.go slow
the black hand guard materal is plastic and cuts easy.I also had to file the frount part of the guard were the rivet holds the alumin
shield in place.the gruard i have so pushing
down on the barrel.the barrel is now free floating and the gun is shooting much better.
the groups before the changes were 6/8"at 25yds.and 6" low the best goup so with Russian 62 gr.ammo is 4rounds under a nickle
at 25 yds.but it still shoots 6"low.still tring to figure that out.i suck with iron sights and will try a scope later when I find some mounts.it should print the same group size at 100yds.but i will need a scope for that. I hope this is of some help,i tried most of the tips i read here and at the ruger
mini home page.
steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lance -I have been thru what you are doing here's my results
1)lapped gas block both top & bottom
2)removed metal ring on forunt of stock
3)didn't remove tabs from bottom of gas block
4)installed recoil buffer but trimmed the front edges to fit profile of stock
5)trimmed hand guard at the front lip were it fits under the gas block.i left a small gap so it on longer touches the gas block.go slow
the black hand guard materal is plastic and cuts easy.I also had to file the frount part of the guard were the rivet holds the alumin
shield in place.the guard i have was pushing
down on the barrel.the barrel is now free floating and the gun is shooting much better.
the groups before the changes were 6 to 8"at 25yds.and 6" low the best goup so with Russian 62 gr.ammo is 4rounds under a nickle
at 25 yds.but it still shoots 6"low.still tring to figure that out.i suck with iron sights and will try a scope later when I find some mounts.it should print the same group size at 100yds.but i will need a scope for that. I hope this is of some help,i tried most of the tips i read here and at the ruger
mini home page.
steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts