Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to get an AR 15 I have always wanted one and have finally saved up enough to get one.. however, I was talking to a gun smith and he thew me a curveball. He said 'you should get an AR the is chambered for a .556, that way, you will not have issues shooting a .223 round if you choose too.'

Now correct me if im wrong but I as pretty sure that a .556 and a .223 were the same thing.

Another thing he mentioned was that ARs that are chambered for .223 tend to have more issues than those chambered for a .556?

Can anyone verify or dismount this information?

·
Registered
23 Posts
its 5.56 not .556
I dont know much about between .223 and 5.56x45mm, the 5.56x45 mm are NATO ammo
I have no problem with the .223 ammo for target shooting. its depend on what brand of ammo you buy. some of them are clean or dirt.
Im not 100% correct.. so Im just sayin

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
.223 Remington and 5.56x45 NATO are the same in external dimensions only. They are designed for different chamber pressures so that it is not safe to shoot the military ammo in a rifle marked for .223 but it is perfectly fine to shoot .223 in a rifle chambered for 5.56x45.
Do yourself a favor and buy something marked 5.56x45 NATO and shoot what ever ammo you want in it.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The big issue is it a 5.56 chamber, a .223 chamber or a .223 Wylde chamber? It is probably a 5.56 NATO chamber. It has a longer throat so it can shoot high pressure military rounds. To be safe and not have to worry about the whole issue, confirm it is a Nato chamber and many AR's have that chamber except for the more expensive target rifles. They tend to be .223 or Wylde .223. Experienced shooters and reloaders gravitate toward them. kwg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts