Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello the camp.

I recently traded for a sporterized 1903 Springfield. The rifle has a Lyman hooded front sight and a Redfield aperture rear sight.

I made time to get to a public range today. This range only has 25 and 50 yard lanes, so I shot at 50 yards.

I was on a tight schedule and only had time for 25 rounds. I posted a five bull target and fired five groups, all off hand with a sling. My best group was 1.5 inches and my largest was 3 inches (4 including a called flyer). I was not able to retrieve my target, I had to leave and could not wait for the next cease fire.

I'll post photos of the rifle tomorrow.

I had planned to install a forward mounted scope on QD rings in a PScout configuration. At this point, I'll probably forgo the scope. I think I'll be happy with this rifle in it's current configuration.

While not quite a Scout rifle, it's close enough for me. I like the ability to load from stripper clips and I also prefer the 30-06 over the 308.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I bought a sporterized 1903a3 made by Remington in 1944. It had the original sights but it was in a beautiful maple stock. It is now drilled and tapped and topped with a Burris scope. My best group @100yrds is .84'' with my 155gr sierra matchking handloads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that a low serial number?
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Unfortunately, yes.

I understand the risk. I've had the headspace checked and it is good. I'll monitor it for any signs of setback and I plan to only shoot my own hand loads and factory loads that are safe for unmodified Garands.

I'm looking for another sporterized '03 with a later serial number or an '03a3. Once I locate one, this rifle will be retired.

Vernon in Indiana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.