Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a like new SS 580 Ranch with a Luepold 3x9-40 and 20 round mag. He said he bought it new in 2008 and may have put lass than a 100 through it. He is asking $700. I put a bipod on it to try it out. It shot about a 3'' group at 100. I am not a great shot off a plastic picnic table.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Good price with scope and extra mags, get it! New minis are going for more than $750 without scope.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wonder, is this a tapered barrel or the old tooling, pencil thin barrel? Gun is not even broke in yet with just a hundred or so rounds through it.It is definitely worth the 700.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder, is this a tapered barrel or the old tooling, pencil thin barrel? Gun is not even broke in yet with just a hundred or so rounds through it.It is definitely worth the 700.
It is not tapered barrel. I think a trigger would mean more than the barrel. I will work on that if I buy it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It seems really surprising to me that you can't get better than 3 moa off a scoped rifle.

That would be a big red flag for me.

In which case it would not be worth the same as a new one.

If you sandbag a scoped rifle, you should be able to get at least 1.5 or 2 moa out of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It seems really surprising to me that you can't get better than 3 moa off a scoped rifle.

That would be a big red flag for me.

In which case it would not be worth the same as a new one.

If you sandbag a scoped rifle, you should be able to get at least 1.5 or 2 moa out of it.
Why are you blaming the rifle? The OP by his own admission is not a great shot. Who's to say what the groupings would be if someone who was, was behind the trigger?

·
Registered
89 Posts
My neighbor has a like new SS 580 Ranch with a Luepold 3x9-40 and 20 round mag. He said he bought it new in 2008 and may have put lass than a 100 through it. He is asking $700. I put a bipod on it to try it out. It shot about a 3'' group at 100. I am not a great shot off a plastic picnic table.
Not a bad deal at all. If you like the rifle, go for it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
It is not the tapered barrel? I'd say $600 with the Luepold. The tapered barrel is worth $100 more to $700. Without it, not in my opinion. kwg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Why are you blaming the rifle? The OP by his own admission is not a great shot. Who's to say what the groupings would be if someone who was, was behind the trigger?
Well then I would sand bag it, and shoot it again.

3 moa is a really bad group with a scope.

I would not buy a rifle that shoots 3 moa with a scope.

3 moa with iron sights is not all that bad.

But with a scope jeeze!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you sandbag it and take up the slack in the trigger and carefully squeeze it, then trigger pull weight should have nothing to do with it.
I certainly disagree with this statement. A tough trigger cannot be compensated for in the manner you describe.

And a 3" group @ 100 with a pencil barrel is not bad from an average shooter even with optical sights. Consider the rifle is probably not broken in and the ammo has not been selected for the particular arm.

A clean trigger, preferred ammo and improved technique would surely cut groups by inch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. lets talk about the group size. I was just taking a guess on the size so I went and got a target out of the shop to measure. The Hornady v-max was about 2'' and rem/umc3''. Now, I aim a double amputee and I was shooting without my prosthetic's so I was not as steady as I could have been. I shoot a lot of .22 in the back yard but very little centerfire rifle. I know the rifle could do better with a better trigger,a rear bag a better man behind it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome, Quadsport!

Sounds like a nice rifle and with the scope it's definitely worth $700. The Leupold is worth at least $200, depending on the exact model. Can you post any photos of the setup?

I wouldn't worry about your groups too much yet - you'll get better once you get used to the rifle and it breaks in a little. You could add a barrel strut sometime in the future as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! I can't post pics but the scope is a leupold vari xiic 3x9-40 silver. Even though the recoil is not bad, I can tell that I flinch some. I guess I shoot to much .22:lol: I want to shoot some today but my good neighbors would be ill since it is the opening day of gun season. At 6:25 I heard the first shot. A physician just bought the land next to ours. I think that was his shot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well then I would sand bag it, and shoot it again.

3 moa is a really bad group with a scope.

I would not buy a rifle that shoots 3 moa with a scope.

3 moa with iron sights is not all that bad.

But with a scope jeeze!
OK, I'll ask you again, how do you know it was the rifles fault and not the shooter. Also If trigger pull has nothing to do with accuracy, why is it that bench rest rifles have trigger pulls measured in ounces instead of pounds?

·
Registered
215 Posts
OK, I'll ask you again, how do you know it was the rifles fault and not the shooter. Also If trigger pull has nothing to do with accuracy, why is it that bench rest rifles have trigger pulls measured in ounces instead of pounds?
Competition rifles are for competition. Combat rifles are for combat. The difference is about a gallon of adrenaline.

If the shooter cannot shoot better than 3 moa with a scope on it, he does not know if the rifle is bad (worn out bore) or the shooter is worse. Either way he cannot decide on an intelligent purchase. He needs to go back to square one.

You should have got all that the first time. I am guessing you are pretty inexperienced yourself.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I always try and get a better price. It wouldnt hurt to ask for a lower price, and if the seller wont do it but the item is worth what the seller is asking, then buy if it if you think its worth it. But I always try to get a deal if possible. The prices for new items might be set in stone, but used item prices are negotiable.

Besides, usually when someone sells something used, even if they supposedly havent used it all that much, and its 4 years old, the used price should be at least 20-30% off IMO. It cost about $650 - $675 in 2008, and a used 20rd mag is worth about $18 or so(if its a Ruger mag), the scope used is probably worth $100 or so.

I'd say the rifle alone is worth $525(based on $650-$675 new) and with the scope and magazine I'd offer $600 - $625 at first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Competition rifles are for competition. Combat rifles are for combat. The difference is about a gallon of adrenaline.

If the shooter cannot shoot better than 3 moa with a scope on it, he does not know if the rifle is bad (worn out bore) or the shooter is worse. Either way he cannot decide on an intelligent purchase. He needs to go back to square one.

You should have got all that the first time. I am guessing you are pretty inexperienced yourself.
Did you ride the short school bus with tinted windows? I KNOW that I am a week link in my target groups. You say it shoot 2'' with bags. Well it shot 3'' with Rem/ufc and 2'' with Hornady V-MaX With bipod on a plastic table. I bought the rifle today and will work on the trigger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always try and get a better price. It wouldnt hurt to ask for a lower price, and if the seller wont do it but the item is worth what the seller is asking, then buy if it if you think its worth it. But I always try to get a deal if possible. The prices for new items might be set in stone, but used item prices are negotiable.

Besides, usually when someone sells something used, even if they supposedly havent used it all that much, and its 4 years old, the used price should be at least 20-30% off IMO. It cost about $650 - $675 in 2008, and a used 20rd mag is worth about $18 or so(if its a Ruger mag), the scope used is probably worth $100 or so.

I'd say the rifle alone is worth $525(based on $650-$675 new) and with the scope and magazine I'd offer $600 - $625 at first.[/QUOTE

Thanks I also try to get a good deal. I bought it for $700 but he also gave me a Harris bipod. My neighbor and I trade at times. It means some that I know where the rifle came from.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Did you ride the short school bus with tinted windows? I KNOW that I am a week link in my target groups. You say it shoot 2'' with bags. Well it shot 3'' with Rem/ufc and 2'' with Hornady V-MaX With bipod on a plastic table. I bought the rifle today and will work on the trigger.
Since it is intended for home defense bugging out purposes in 5.56 you should not change anything about it. A heavy trigger is appropriate for a combat gun.

Save your insults in the future ... sticks and stones ... I'm sure you remember it from the playground.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts