Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I normally hang out on the Mini 14 forums but I just have to pass on how much fun I had digging my M1's out of the safe and shooting some Korean HXP some hand loads.

I have 3 M1's and one is a WWII gun so I don't shoot it. The other 2 are Korean war era and I had only shot one of them. I did get them through the CMP like so many other folks have done, all be it something like almost 20 years ago now. I'm pretty sure one is a Greek return and the other is US GI. The WWII serial number was a stockless Greek return that I have tried to make correct without spending a huge amount of money.

Today I started out shooting some Korean HXP that I have had for several years. But, I really wanted to test some new reloads I put together. The reloads were loaded with 48.4 grains of Varget. I picked up a copy of the October 2018 Handloader written by John Barsness. One of his loads was 48 grains of Varget for just under 2700 fps with a 150 grain FMJ.

I wanted to get over 2700 fps so I loaded 48.4 grains of Varget with a 150 grain Speer soft point. I don't have a chrono so I don't know what the current bullet speed is and if I did in fact just break the 2700 fps speed I was looking for, but I think I am close.

I had tried these loads in my 1903A3 and they were very accurate on the 50 yard range. Today I put them through both M1's also at 50 yards. I wasn't getting the accuracy of the A3 but I was not unhappy with them. I spent most of the time dialing in the POI. I got them to bullseye at 50 yards before I called it a day. I shot 40 rounds for the day between the reloads and the HXP.

The recoil of the reloads was slightly less than the Korean HXP. I have never taken an HXP apart and weighed the powder charge so I don't know how much powder they carry and of course I do not know who's powder the Koreans used.

To sum it all up, I really need to take the M1's out more often. I want to get them dialed in for 100 yards. I can't hunt anything with them in Iowa but maybe some day I can do a pig hunt in Texas or get onto a longer range.

kwg

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Unlike you, I only have a single one. I do have plenty of LC Ammo that I got when I picked up my Carbine. Yes I purchased my Garand private sale, but got a Carbine through the CMP. When I got the carbine I ordered a bunch of 30-06 ammo. That was a while ago like in 2006 I think. The ammo shoots great. And the Garand is a blast to shoot. Glad you enjoyed. Let us know more about your three Garand?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello dh
I got the Garands from the CMP many years ago. I'm thinking almost 20 years ago now for a couple of them. At one time I had 6 but I did some trading for some AR's. Now the AR's are worth next to nothing and the value of the Garands has gone way up. Live and learn I supposes.

My serial number range is 4321xxx, 5874xxx and the WWII is 3290xxx. I got several of the woodless Danes and other than the 3290xxx they got traded off. They were all "rack grade" but in reality they were more like a very good field grade. I scrounged up some stocks and I turned them all into shooters. Sometime I'll get a picture or 2 and get them posted. When the winter comes and I'm bored out of my head I'll get them taken and posted.

I also have an M1 carbine but I have never shot it. I do have some ammo but I only have 2 magazines. I have shot a carbine in the passed and they are fun little guns. I do have a 1903A3 as well. I shot it last spring with my Varget loads and it was a tack driver.

I have been on a reloading kick recently. I know powder is hard to find and while I have it I'm loading what I can. The 48.4 of Varget has proven to be more accurate than I anticipated since it is downloaded from what I understand factory loads tend to be 52 to 54 grains of IMR4896. I only know in my 1903A3 it is deadly accurate.

Unfortunately it's my last pound of Varget. I have been loading Speer 150 grain soft points, 150 grain Hornady soft points and 150 grain Hornady FMJ's. The price of bullets has gone sky high as well. Anyway, I'm set for many years with 30-06 ammo so I can wait for more Varget to come back.

I also recently got a 308 so I have been playing with loads for that as well.

kwg

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
The arsenals tested railcar size lots of IMR-4895 powder from dupont, figured out it's burn speed, and loaded round accordingly. Therefore, charge weights varied anywhere from about 48-53 grn. of IMR-4895. Although there are load charts and data(from military sources), that say M2 Ball is loaded with "X" amount of powder, it cannot be taken as gospel.
Also, varget is right at the slow end of acceptable powders, but it does work. IMR-4064 is another good one, also at the slow end.
An adjustable gas plug allows varying powder burn rates some, and softening the recoil impulse some.
I prefer to use Winchester large rifle primers with these rifles. I avaoid federal and CCI.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The arsenals tested railcar size lots of IMR-4895 powder from dupont, figured out it's burn speed, and loaded round accordingly. Therefore, charge weights varied anywhere from about 48-53 grn. of IMR-4895. Although there are load charts and data(from military sources), that say M2 Ball is loaded with "X" amount of powder, it cannot be taken as gospel.
Also, varget is right at the slow end of acceptable powders, but it does work. IMR-4064 is another good one, also at the slow end.
An adjustable gas plug allows varying powder burn rates some, and softening the recoil impulse some.
I prefer to use Winchester large rifle primers with these rifles. I avaoid federal and CCI.
Hello ranger
I don't have the adjustable gas plug, that's why I looked for a low end number. I currently have Winchester magnum primers in the brass. It was what I had so they got used.

I understand the issue of adjusting the powder load to the available powder. My guess is 80 years ago it was difficult to make every batch of powder the same so they had to test it for each individual lot. That is probably still the same today. Although I have found the commercial powder very consistent between lots.

None the less, I need to get the rifles out and do some more testing and dialing in. The 48.4 of Varget is very accurate in my 1903 so I plan on keeping that recipe for a long time. The only real issue is finding more Varget.

I currently am testing Winchester 748 in my 308. I have 8 lbs of it to use up. I can use it in .223 so I'm good for a while on powder.

kwg

kwg

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I have loads for my Garand and for my 1903A3 + Model of 1917. I will shoot Garand loads from the two bolt guns, but won't shoot my bolt gun loads with the Garand. I use IMR4895 and LC Brass. I have a good load that works well for each. I have some spare LC brass that I would be happy to share with kwg020 and 2Rangers. Key word is share. I used to have a couple commercial actions in 30-06. But I sold them years ago. Now just the three.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
KWG-
I'm not critiquing your loads, not at all. I've used varget before, and it is an excellent powder, just towards the slow end of the spectrum. Can't find it locally at all now. The two important things to look for are velocity, and a phenomenon called case head swipe. If you are loading to the correct M.V., and there are no marks on the case head from the ejector( usually, an "outie" dimple where the ejector is sitting on the case head, with smeared, shiny brass in a circular pattern around about 1/5 of the circumference of the case head), then you are def. on the right track. The slower burning powders tend to have less chamber pressure, and more port pressure. The higher port pressure tends to operate the action quicker, and the bolt will unlock before the case has had a chance to contract. It is still "blown out" and gripping the chamber walls, causing the ejector hole in the face of the bolt to cut a little bit of brass from the head and "smear" it around the circumference of the case head, with the mark being equal to the bolt rotation.
DH- I really do appreciate the offer of brass sharing! However, I have enough for my needs. Best to save that brass for someone truly in need.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
I'm using the shuster(SP.?)

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I was looking at the Garand Gear one. I find shooting the Garand a lot of fun. When I was active in the Air Force we used Garands for funeral detail or Honor Guard. When we ordered them they arrived in crates. No serial number verification at all. Not like our AR15's that we used previously. We switched because the AR's sounded like pop guns. The AR's had no forward assist and said AR15 on the side. They did have a selector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts