Perfect Union banner

first post, looking for assistance.

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  grumpy_old_man 
#1 ·
A guy here in town has what he says is a mini 14 target model that he wants to trade me for my AK. He says its a 186 series but I can't seem to find a 186 target model online. The target models I've seen online have what appears to be some sort of muzzle break on them and a fixed stock. The one he sent me pics of has a crutch folding stock and no muzzle break. So I guess my question is, did ruger make a 186 series target model? Thanks for any help you can give me. And I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place, like I said I'm new.

#2 ·
Vamped,
He may have a mini that was rebarelled with a heavier barrel. The target model is a newer variation with a harmonic dampener on the muzzle. 186 series seems a few years back. See if you can post the pics of the gun you are looking at. Others here have quite a bit of knowledge of these things. Don't trade off the AK just yet. Who knows, Mr "O" might ban the import and you'll never get another one.

#3 ·
I have pics of it in my email but for some reason they won't download to my phone. Could I email them to you or someone here to post for me? And thanks for the info I just want to know exactly what mini 14 he has before I trade a nice AK for something I'm not happy with.

#4 ·
Just my 2 cents, but I don't think I would trade a good AK for a mini. Especially one where the history is not clear. I love my mini and would never trade it, but the AK is a classic too and reliable as a stone. Also the 7.62x39 seems much cheaper and easier to get these days. Good Mini mags are a little hard to come by now too. At least for now.

As a side note, If the Mini has been rebarreled or other non-factory parts, Ruger will not service it, or at least they will replace the non-original parts and probably charge you for it. Some parts you can't get anywhere other than Ruger and sometimes they require the rifle be sent to them to service it.

Hopefully, before too long, Mini's will be back at Wal-mart again for $650-700 and then you can have both an AK and a Mini. That's how I roll.

Good luck in your decision.

#5 ·
I agree with Jetfxr. I own several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles and several AK's. I would not trade an AK for a Mini.

There are no 186 series Target Rifles. If it's a 186, it is a Mini-14, not a Target or Ranch Rifle.

If it has been rebarreled, keep in mind that the Target Rifle chamber is cut for .223 only, and you cannot safely shoot 5.56 through it. (Mini-14/Ranch Rifles are stamped .223, but actually have a 5.56 chamber which allows you to shoot either one.)

Adding pics will be extremely helpful to us to ID the rifle.

#6 ·
+1000. I've got minis, AK's, even an AR. Love the minis but no way would I trade an AK for a mini.

Its a bad deal for you, made worse by the fact that minis are made in the USA and should be readily available in a few months when Ruger catches up on their production. AK's are an imported item, and if obozo slaps on the import ban I fully expect they will be a limited item - price will not stay constant. Hang onto your AK and if you want a mini too (you should, they're great guns) save your $$$ and jump on one at a good price in a few months. Don't think about switching from 7.62x39 to 5.56 either - shoot both. One of the few bright spots over here is that I can still sometimes get ammo for my AK's and go shooting. 5.56 is harder to find. If that reverses then I'll be shooting the minis more and AK's less.

Diversity in your battery is the key to having ammo now, not the consolidation into a few key calibers that was the popular belief until the ammo drought hit. Ammo's more pricey and difficult to find than the guns so this is a new world we're in and we have to adapt.

Best,
Grumpy

#7 ·
Do not do it. Wait and get a newer mini (Series 581 or above) with a flanged barrel. Keep the AK. I love my Mini 581 Tactical, but also keep my Russian SKS around as it is a stone cold relable Mil Spec back-up. The AK also fits that bill. Also, there is no such thing as a target model of the series you mention. Given the current political climate, I would hold on to the AK and geet some more ammo and mags which are available.

#13 ·
Vamped750, get us an update with what happend ? What did you end up doing?
Hey I'm sorry its taken me so long to get back here. I hardly have time for anything these days. And thanks to all of yalls input I did not make the trade. I know I have a very good rifle and decided it wasn't even almost a good idea to trade it off for something I can get pretty much anytime, when aks may very well be banned and be very hard to get ahold of for an under the roof price, lol.. thank you guys very much!

#12 ·
What he is calling a Target model is something else. Do not even consider a trade until you have put 100 rounds through it and are satisfied - he wants to trade it for an AK for a reason - you probably will want to trade it back once you know the reason...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.