Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Gentlemen - I'm privledged to be apart of a forum such as this where the flow of ideas and the exchange of opinion is alive and strong! Kudos to the moderator for holding it all together.

I ordered my first Mini-14 last week and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I've wanted one since I knew what they were, just thought they were 'cool'. I've never even held one up until a couple of days ago. It was SWEET!

My question is this: Why do you guys like the Mini so much? What makes the Mini-14 board the busiest on this forum? From everything I've been reading they're not exactly accurate. As far as military calibers go, the .223 isn't really that powerful (although I don't really want somebody shooting at me with one), finding good magazines seems to be a bitch & a half at best - which causes me to question the Minis reliability in a SD situation. And lastly, the Mini-14 just doesn't evoke the same respect that an M1 or M-14 does so the pride of ownership factor isn't the same. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to own all of my guns. Everyday.

I just want to know what made all of you buy a mini. Until I get mine in a few more days, I'm left wondering. By the way, I got the blued standard model.

Thanks for listening------ RdRnr

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Roadrunner

I am fairly new to the mini-14 and 30 myself I have one of each.
I like Ruger, since my first 10/22 they are a good company and make good guns. The mini's have the look of an m14 and the size of m1 carbine. Some complain about accuracy but I bought them as plinkers and for self defense. They are more then accurate enough for that. They are also extremely durable, the rotating bolt is Garand's design after all. I read a reveiw of the mini-14 that said a Ruger factory rep said you could clear a stuck bolt by holding the rifle up right and slamming down on the operating rod with your foot. Unloaded of course. :eek:

RDRR you hit the nail on the head when you said they felt good. It just felt right when you picked it up.

Good luck with your mini. TC

:cannon:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Undeveloped Potential -
Here we have a realtively inexpensive semi-auto rifle, chambered in a miliatary round (cheap ammo) that is very rugged and reliable. Great potential!
But its like Ruger picked the apple while it was still green.
Accuarcy stinks and mags are hard to get. But with just a little more work and a couple of tricks it would be great only if....
Its full potential is just close enough to keep us interested, but not so close as to limit what you could do.
Hmmm, I think I need a Mini-30.:ar15:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like my mini 14 because it is fun to shoot. Good mags aren't as hard to find as you might think, once you figure out what you are looking for. I think the general consensus is that PMI, Federal Ordnance, John Masen and of course Ruger made mags are the best bet for high-caps. Check for them at gun shows or online gun auctions. There are so many accessories available for mini's that you will never get bored. Have fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - It's good to hear different views. It sounds like I did the right thing. I'll quit stressing out about having to put my jazzed-up Springfield Loaded .45 on consignment in order to buy the Mini (ouch). Guess I'm catchin the bug. Grinch, as far as accessorizing goes - I've already dropped a hundred bucks on a couple of hi-caps, some ammo, and a sling. I don't even have the rifle yet!!

Let the games begin.

RdRnr

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I like the way djskit put it. Very well put djskit!
"its like Ruger picked the apple while it was still green."---"Its full potential is just close enough to keep us interested, but not so close as to limit what you could do." You can work with it, & transform it into any configuration you like, or leave it as is. You don't have to spend a lot of money on it, but if you want to you can. Its a project. Like a classic car, you can hot rod it, race it, stock it, mod it, or show it. I like improving it, and shooting it. Its way different than a bolt gun. Welcome to our forum RoadRunner

·
Registered
260 Posts
mini's are fun and dependable,mine seems to shoot batter than some out of the box. i need to work on the gas block though.if i don't heat it up i get 11/2" to 2" groups with hand loads an blackhills ammo.shot prarie dogs with it for the first time today. the furthest i shot was a little over 250yds. took 2 shots but it blew up when i got'em. you will have more fun than you can believe with your mini:D :D have fun!!!!! :sniper: :usa:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.