Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand Ruger will not release firing pins or other parts they feel the need to do the work on (or whatever.) So, has anyone thought of removing your firing pin (or other part) and sending the weapon to them with the explaination that you bought it and it did not have a firing pin? Kind of expensive, but that might be a way to get one. Maybe they would even allow you to just send the bolt and they install the firing pin.

Another option is to get some metal smith or expert to make you a batch of firing pins.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Deafsmith. I believe the rifle has to be sent, reason being it has to do with the tail of the firing pin being fit to the reciever bridge. With the shipping costs it might be best removing the complete bolt and getting a new one if your worried about it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I could be wrong. I have heard the headspace on a gun changes over time. Therefore, would having a spare bolt be dangerous if you installed it 3000 rounds later?

Is this safe?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Daves got a point. You would want to check headspace if you were to change out bolts. It's simple to do and gauges can be bought at a few places like Brownells and Bushmaster. I did purchase a couple of spare firing pins from Gun Parts Corp. NONE of my Mini's have broken a firing pin. I bought them outta curiousity. Their way out of spec. as far as I'm concerned and look to be a cheap casting. I coulda brought them into work and had a hardness test done, I did'nt bother. A good machinist or Gunsmith could probably make one as far as the type steel and heat treat I could'nt say. I would think it'd be quite exspensive though.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Dave a word on head space. It only increases in time or if someone removes the barrel, it has to be rechecked. With the head space increasing your chamber pressures will be reduced not increase. Therefore if you had a spare fitted bolt assembly, it could be used at a later date with no fear. If I have to ever send my mini in for any reason, I will pay the $75 for a new bolt assy. Then I will have a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts