Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've been a reader for a couple of monthes now, just never had anything to add. My 196 series stainless/synthetic mini-14 recently suffered a broken firing pin. I am still not sure why. It is quite new and I doubt has 500 rounds through it. 99% of the ammo is my own reloads using standard CCI primers. Anyway, does anyone know of an aftermarket firing pin? I found only one on the net and it is listed as blued. Also, after doing a search, I found several old threads where it seemed people had prematurely broken pins and the aftermarket ones didn't last for squat. After past dealings with Ruger on other guns, I consider sending the gun back to them a last resort option. I am even thinking about machining one of my own. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jackrabbit. Since it is new I would send it to Ruger, and make them fix it. The Ruger part will be hard to beat in aftermarket stuff. Did you add a wolf slider assy spring? I have heard they are stronger, and increase the inertia of the pin, which may lead to a short life of the firing pin. The others with broken pins were shooting berdian primed ammo. You are the first I'm aware of than broke a pin using boxer primed ammo. Your manual describes how to ship your bolt to Ruger for repair. Just my 2 cents.

BTW I wouldn't mention you were shooting reloads or you may get a bill for the repairs. Page 8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Cajungeo! Ruger can take a flying leap. I love my mini and like Ruger products, but after past dealings it is clear they only supply a rough product and it is up to the owner to get the most out of their rifle. I'm not going to lie about using reloads, and they probably wouldn't touch it as I've modified it anyway. I had a Number 1v in which I went around and around with them. When I called this time, they asked If I used reloads. The service tech said that was the problem and I would indeed be charged for the work. It is hard for me to believe that Ruger turns out a rifle that won't keep 5 shots on a piece of notebook paper anyway (yes, that's how mine started). Besides, I'm pretty sure I could file a new firing pin out of a car spring in the time I wait for Ruger to fix it. I will only send it back after I have exhausted all other possibilities. I think I have a pretty good lead found anyway. I'll keep everyone posted. Also, no it does not have a heavier spring. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with that line of thinking. I am currently waiting on Mike's buffer, bushings, and lapping bullets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a note on the aftermarket firing pins from Numrich. I ordered two of these pins and neither one lasted more than 80 rounds before breaking. I finally sent the rifle back to Ruger and it has worked flawlessly since. More than 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a new Ruger pin this weekend. An older gunsmith friend of mine got it for me, although I am not sure how. I think he must have a friend at Ruger that sent him one. He wouldn't tell me how he got it. Anyway, when I installed it, it would not quite go all the way forward. Upon further inspection, there was a very small flake of brass material keeping the firing pin from advancing forward. I think this is why it broke, it was like pounding the pin on an anvil with a hammer. I don't know how it got in there. It almost looks like a piece of primer, or perhaps a shaved piece of brass. Anyway, the gun works great now. I will let you know if I have any more problems. Also, it did not need any "fitting" as Ruger insisted it needed. I figured I would have to do a little filing, but it works fine as is. Good Luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm with Calvin, I broke 2 firing pins, on my Ranch, and thought I got a lemmon. After sending it to Ruger -free of charge- I haven't had any problems and have shot lots and lots of rounds...I am spooked by Wolf Ammo a bit, as the day it happened, as I was shooting that stuff, when my second pin broke...

Larry:2guns:

·
Registered
300 Posts
This firing pin thing is disturbing. There's no reason for a firing pin to break, ever. OK, maybe after 10,000 rounds or something it would be acceptable. Seems like mini's do it all the time, from what I read here anyhow, I haven't put enough rounds down the tube in mine (maybe 200) to know for sure. Though I have put a few thousand down my AR, firing pin looks like new. How can a gun maker foul up something so basic?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
This firing pin thing is disturbing.
Fastang it is a very small percent, 4 mini owners out of 1,400. The ones with multi pin breaks, seem to be the cheaper after market pins. I believe 3 of the 4 shot a lot of Berdian primed ammo, which is a harder primer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jackrabbit, when you installed your firing pin did you go through all the measurements? There are certain specific measurements that are taken to ensure a proper fit in the Mini-14. Without going into detail, these measurements are taken with the bolt assembled (out of the rifle), with the bolt installed in the receiver only, and then with the rifle completely installed. Anyway the reason that Ruger wants to "fit" the firing pin is due to the different sizes of helixs (tapered end of the firing pin). Ruger is very strict on who they sell their parts to. Anyway I hope this helps. R6721

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey R6721, do you have a gustimate price on a complete bolt assy? I'm thinking about having a spare, for just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't even know if the pin is in fact a Ruger product. I only guess that from the silly grin on the guys face I got it from. I know how hard it is to get some parts from Ruger. I quickly compared the two pins and they appeared the same. I put the new one in the gun, and tried it out. It seems to work great. I fired a couple hundred rounds since then and haven't had a problem. Anyway, I would like to comment on the apparent growing phobia of the broken firing pin. I am around 6 mini's that are shot a lot and none of them have ever had a problem. If you also look at the people who posted that have had problems, it is only a handful. Not very many when compared to the number of mini's on this forum. I think mine was caused from that piece of brass being stuck in the bolt, not a defect in quality of the gun. The broken pins that do occur I think are flukes, not the norm. I don't think there is any reason to fear yours breaking. Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cajungeo, When I sent my ranch rifle in to Ruger to get the firing pin problem fixed, I had them fit a second complete bolt for a spare. The cost of the complete bolt was 80.00. HTH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts