Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Mini 30 that I recently got work done such as a trigger job, upgraded wolf hammer spring and shock buffer. I tried shooting earlier today and the firing pin kept hitting a small part of the ammo casing when the magazine was in. This was causing the bolt to not close at all and was pretty frustrating. I cleaned my gun the day before and I also tried shooting this gun in a ATI stock as well. Any idea what would cause it? I never had this problem before the work was done and the stock was changed.

Thanks in advance

PS. The mags I use are 10-round ProMags, I don't own any stock mags unfortunately.

· Registered
267 Posts
Before you load the weapon with a live round again, do this:

Assure the rifle is unloaded then rack the charging handle and pull the trigger, checking to make sure the hammer fell, do this again without releasing pressure on the trigger, but this time ensure the hammer doesn't fall. Repeat this several times. If the hammer falls with the trigger being pulled while racking, the rear sear is malfunctioning and the trigger job is at fault... Take it back to the smith and he can easily repair it.

IMO, the trigger job, hammer spring and buffer couldn't cause exactly what you are describing. If the above test passes, what I would do is remove the magazine out of the equation and try to load the weapon single shot. See if that allows the bolt to close properly, if so then try to fire the rifle.

I suspect there is a feed issue and the indentation on the case you are seeing is coming from something other than the firing pin.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Look at the op-rod, in front of the charging handle for marks. That is the most likely place that is putting the mark on the case (ejection). Modifications to firearms by people not thouroughly familiar with them is a frequent cause of malfunctions. It also sounds like whoever gunsmithed your trigger group was an amatuer. If all else fails return your mini to ruger without the trigger group and have them put a new one in for you and function test it for you. You will have to pay for that part. If you must have your trigger lightened up, have a professional, like GUNDOC do the work for you.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its weird, I was gonna put in some magazines and see if the problem kept happening but it didn't. Apparently the firing pin should be clipping the ammo, kind of pushing it into the chamber, but yesterday the ammo in the magazines wouldn't budge, so it might be a magazine issue im guessing. Im going to go shooting Sun or Mon, if it happens ill definitely try to take a picture and report back but for the time being it looks like its working.

· Registered
267 Posts
I think NSimi is referring to the bolt as the firing pin, and if that's the case, then I'd definitely start looking at the mags.

NSimi, if it occurs again, try feeding the rifle as if it were a single shot and leave your magazine completely out. Rack the bolt back and lock it in place with the button at top left of the receiver, slip a round in to the tube and release the bolt. If it fires and cycles like that but jams when it's in, that will clue you in.

I really don't think you have an issue with the trigger job and such, as what you have described so far really sounds like a feed issue.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

· Banned
7,380 Posts
Sounds like the OP is a newbie and needs help from a knowledgable friend. Read you owners manual thouroughly before you fire the mini. Make sure you understand how it functions, and learn the correct termonology for the parts. You can find that in the exploded view drawing and parts list of the manual.

· Registered
3,461 Posts
Its weird, I was gonna put in some magazines and see if the problem kept happening but it didn't. Apparently the firing pin should be clipping the ammo, kind of pushing it into the chamber, but yesterday the ammo in the magazines wouldn't budge, so it might be a magazine issue im guessing. Im going to go shooting Sun or Mon, if it happens ill definitely try to take a picture and report back but for the time being it looks like its working.
It's the bolt that pushes in the ammo to the chamber. If the ammo is packed in the magazine so tight it won't allow it to go forward, what magazine do you have? A factory magazine or an after market? The simple solution is not to fill the magazine so full.

Many of us recomend you clean and lube the rifle first and make sure it gets re-assembled correctly. Then shoot the rifle to make sure it operates and then do any modifications if needed. I am always suspect of any "trigger job" and Wolf extra power springs. It's not that Wolf makes bad products, it's just that you don't always need them and there is the possibility of unintended consequences with every modification. kwg

· Registered
3,163 Posts
I can't fathom any of the mods you had done would cause the problem you describe , as best as I can understand your description. You surely must mean the bolt not the firing pin hitting the (small part of the ammo case ?). You , as best as I can tell, describe a feed problem related to alignment. Any chance you somehow have managed to jam the magazine in wrong? Break it back down and reassemble , carefully with the manual open. Using an ATI stock? Scribe an index mark in the stock (plastic) for a reference point to align the trigger group during reassembly . did you get a positive "lock" when you "rocked" in the magazines ? It is really hard to help without seeing the piece in hand. I wouldn't give up hope and box it back up and send to ruger or blame the smith just yet. take it back down and reassemble you may have an AH-HA moment.

· Registered
267 Posts
That's good to hear, hopefully it will continue to function correctly for the remainder of it's service life and beyond.

From your description of the problem you sound like you are possibly new to firearms... Don't be bashful, ask questions! I get to wag my tail if I get to answer and you get a better understanding of how your firearm works.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have several guns but this is my first rifle. A few fellow NRA safety officers recommended the Mini 14 or 30 to me and after shooting a few rounds in a friends, I knew i had to get one. Ive only shot it several times, that was the first time after getting back from the shop and it shot good for the most part except for a few minor issues. Ill try to post a few pictures of what i was talking about but I beleive it was a magazine issue, I have 5 10-round ProMags (im in Cali) and as a poster above said, it mightve been just a magazine packed too tight. Im gonna go shoot it to Mon/Tue so ill report back.

· Registered
267 Posts
I live in the free state of Tennessee, so get to carry any magazine I can lift. I usually only carry 20 round Pmags, and load them light... Maybe 18 rounds each. I've gotten jams when stuffing any brand magazine that's loaded to the top in all my mini's. It's easy to not get it seated properly.

· Banned
7,380 Posts
I have several guns but this is my first rifle. A few fellow NRA safety officers recommended the Mini 14 or 30 to me and after shooting a few rounds in a friends, I knew i had to get one. Ive only shot it several times, that was the first time after getting back from the shop and it shot good for the most part except for a few minor issues. Ill try to post a few pictures of what i was talking about but I beleive it was a magazine issue, I have 5 10-round ProMags (im in Cali) and as a poster above said, it mightve been just a magazine packed too tight. Im gonna go shoot it to Mon/Tue so ill report back.
Buy yourself some factory ruger 10 rnd mags. That will probably cure what ails your mini. You can buy them directly from Ruger (ruger.com). CDNN frequently has them at a lower price than Ruger (cdnnsports.com) and they also have an excellent quality aftermarket 10 rnd mini mag (.223) that normally sells for $12.99 ea. I have found that thier afternarket mags fit and function best in pre-580 series mini's and that the factory mags work best in the 580+ series mini's. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.