Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the LEO sergeants and lieutenant who teach shooting courses here, the following are firearms safety rules which if violated will get you expelled from their classes, and in real life, could get you or someone else accidentally killed:

1 – Always at all times treat all firearms as if they are loaded, whether they are loaded or not.
2 – Never point a firearm at anyone or anything that you do not intend to kill.
3 – Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to shoot.
4 – Know your target, the backstop behind your target, everything between you and your target, and all around your target before you pull the trigger.
5 – Whenever handling a firearm, always check to make sure it is unloaded, even if someone else has just checked it themselves before handing it to you.
6 – Immediately upon loading a firearm set the safety to the on position and holster or sling the weapon (however many practice ranges do not permit firearms to be holstered or slung).
7 – Never leave a loaded firearm unattended – if you must leave the firearm on the bench at the range always unload it first and make it safe and then bring your ammo with you or lock your ammo up.
8 – The safety of your firearm when a round is chambered should always be on until just before you put your finger on the trigger and are ready to shoot.
9 – After shooting and when the danger has passed, you should return the safety to the on position.
10 – The only 4 appropriate positions for holding a firearm are either aimed on target, held at low ready, in the vertical carrying position while searching with a firearm, or holstered/slung.
11 – Always at all times stay abreast of anyone else with a firearm, never in front of or behind them.
12 – At the range, all unpacking, loading and unloading of a firearm is to be done only at the firing line with everyone ready and only at the command of the instructor or range master.
13 – Always keep the muzzle pointed downrange whenever the firearm is not in your holster or slung.
14 – Never commence firing at a range unless the range is clear and the line is ready.
15 – Never go downrange unless the line is safe and all weapons have been made safe and holstered or slung.
16 – Never pick up anything off the ground unless your firearm is holstered or slung.
17 – Always clear a firearm 3 times, checking it visually and manually, when unloading it.
18 – Ear and eye protection should always be worn while practice shooting at a range.
19 – Be cognizant that if you shoot indoors for any reason that the extreme sound of the shot may make you deaf for a long period of time.
20 – Before crossing an obstacle, always make your firearm safe.
21 – Never chamber a round while inside a vehicle – do your chambering and make the weapon safe and holster it before entering the vehicle.
22 – Always secure all your firearms inside a locked gun safe while at home whenever the firearm is not holstered at your side.
23 – You should keep one pistol ready at all times to defend you at home and if permissible at your job site and if permissible while in your car or in public.
24 – You should keep one carbine ready at all times to defend you at home or if permissible in your campsite.
25 – You should keep one slug shotgun ready at all times to defend you in bear or lion country.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok boyz have at it!

Feel free to agree, disagree, bytch and moan if you want to.

I have gotten some people beet red with this list.

But it's a good list.

If everyone followed these rules then less people would be shot by accident.

· Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
Well, my uncle got me into guns. He owns 3 digits worth. He reloads, builds, and has been hunting for over a half a century (about everything except man - no season and tags for that.............yet:D).

That list, on the whole, is what he taught me. Its what my other uncle (his older brother) taught him, and what my great uncle taught him.............. There are no LEOs in there, just avid shooters and hunters. These are things that I pass on to friends and family.

Just to toss this in. I have been given dirty looks, and even rude comments, because I checked the status of a weapon in a gun store. Now while I saw the salesperson or owner clear it in front of me, if I cant see the mag or the chamber when its done, it doesnt count. When Im around my uncle, he will always position a firearm in a manner, so that when he clears it, I can see the mag, and the chamber. Then he hands it to me. I consider that not just safe, but a courtesy when hes handing me a firearm.

The ironic thing about this list, is that there are way too many videos out there of cops accidentally shooting themselves. I think since as a whole, they dont draw/use their guns as much as we think they do, and it just becomes one more thing on there belt.

Good list though. Some things, eh. Nothin that gets my panties in a bunch.

Reactions: hks95134

· Draw, Varmint!
799 Posts
Rules #'s: 22, 23, & 24 potentially violate Rule #7. (Then again, so does Rule #25.)

I did, however, learn two important safety precautions from the list:

11 - Always at all times stay abreast of anyone else with a firearm, never in front of or behind them.

(In the field this isn't always possible to do; however, this is a good reminder to never step in front of the other guy's muzzle.)

12 - At the range, all unpacking, loading and unloading of a firearm is to be done only at the firing line with everyone ready and only at the command of the instructor or range master.

(There was an incident at a nearby local firing range where one fellow shot another while they were, both, behind the firing line and packing up their guns to leave.)

I've gone through the past 20 - 25 years by carefully observing and paying homage to the following five gun safety rules:

JEFF COOPER'S FOUR BASIC RULES OF FIREARM SAFETY:

1. The gun is ALWAYS loaded!

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at - or, even, so much as sweep across - ANYTHING you are unwilling to see destroyed!

3. Never put your finger inside the trigger guard until AFTER you have made a conscious decision to fire!

4. CLEARLY identify your target, the target's backstop, and what is beyond!

5. Finally, the frequently unstated fifth rule: NEVER play with a gun - Never! (This is an important rule that gets broken all of the time.)

Don't embellish these rules. They are what they are for good reasons! In order for any firearm safety rule to become truly effective it must stop being just a rule, and become A PROFOUND PERSONAL HABIT, instead.

Reactions: Rockys Pop

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I created the longer list (not just the 4 item short list) because there were constantly more and more rules being added by the LEO instructors.

Now I have memorized them all, and I practice counting them before going to sleep, like counting sheep.

It is a challenge to recite them in the right order.

Sort of like the General Orders For Sentries in the USMC.

I have a friend from Zoo York who wants to learn how to shoot, so before directing this friend to a local indoor gun range for professional instruction, I am having them memorize the entire list.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rules #'s: 22, 23, & 24 potentially violate Rule #7. (Then again, so does Rule #25.)

When you are in the possession of a loaded pistol, carbine, or slug gun, it is ideal to keep it on your person at all times, holstered or slung -- indeed yes !!!

If you have kids at home, you do need to make sure they cannot get to the weapons. That may mean that you lock the safe even with the loaded guns inside of it.

Kids are a 20 year commitment -- for 20 years from the time of that magical moment of conception until they grow up and leave home they will be a constant burden of additional responsibility and you will need to do things differently.

3,036 Posts
Kids are a 20 year commitment -- for 20 years from the time of that magical moment of conception until they grow up and leave home they will be a constant burden of additional responsibility and you will need to do things differently.
From my mom, it seems really a lifetime. We never stop being their children, and in turn they never stop being our parents. You get older, but sometimes you still need their advice. or at least want it.

3,036 Posts
I like 23-25, good stuff. I know people that have run into potential situations (thankfully none turned bad), but they were not prepared if things had gone south.

Reactions: hks95134

· Registered
1,070 Posts
additions:

There are not enough rules to cover the basic rule 1 , always treat a firearm
as if it's loaded.

26) Always carry a full automatic firearm when facing 10 or more opponents.

27) Before placing your handgun in its holster always wrap the whole thing
in duct tape for safety.

28) To look like competition shooters always cradle your handgun like a
stuffed animal when you draw.

29)To be safer than everyone else be sure to yell at them for having their
finger on the trigger while they are shooting.

30) If you have a revolver or semi-auto without a safety always apply your
trigger lock between shots.

31) When bringing your firearm into a residence always secure all persons
present into a locked panic room.

32) The 5th appropriate position for holding a firearm is with thumb and
index finger, at arms length while other hand holds your nose.

33) Always go thru all rules manually before actually shooting in an
emergency situation.

I may have missed a few hundred but I preparing the longer list for unattended ammo.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are not enough rules to cover the basic rule 1 , always treat a firearm
as if it's loaded.

26) Always carry a full automatic firearm when facing 10 or more opponents.

27) Before placing your handgun in its holster always wrap the whole thing
in duct tape for safety.

28) To look like competition shooters always cradle your handgun like a
stuffed animal when you draw.

29)To be safer than everyone else be sure to yell at them for having their
finger on the trigger while they are shooting.

30) If you have a revolver or semi-auto without a safety always apply your
trigger lock between shots.

31) When bringing your firearm into a residence always secure all persons
present into a locked panic room.

32) The 5th appropriate position for holding a firearm is with thumb and
index finger, at arms length while other hand holds your nose.

33) Always go thru all rules manually before actually shooting in an
emergency situation.

I may have missed a few hundred but I preparing the longer list for unattended ammo.
I get a lot of grief from a lot of shooters who can only count to 4.

I'm used to it by now.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In young America the youth was taught to use firearms not to fear them. The Paranoia of children getting your loaded firearms is the best anti-gun move to date. Here in the rural West we teach our "kids" about the proper use of firearms. We do not teach fear of these inanimate objects.
That goes back even further to the concept of the "city mouse" vs the "country mouse":

"... But I'll take country living,
and the peace that goes with it."

· Honor our Constitution !
4,700 Posts
Lurp 2, We have seen our entire lives from fat meat to quality tobacco damned by the PC Police. When I was growing up, which never happened by the way, it was different. Instead of following some lame primate from Hollywood we learned reasoning and respect. All else follows that.
no more Paregoric, Belladonna, or Creomulsion-C with coedine either.............

no "hardware store" guns is the worst......

· Draw, Varmint!
799 Posts
no more Paregoric, Belladonna, or Creomulsion-C with coedine either .............

No, "hardware store" guns is the worst. ......
You got that one right!

(Wow, you are an, 'old timer' now, aren't you!) :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.