Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering keeping my factory barrel, and trying Mike in Oregon's fire lapping system first to see where it gets me.

Has anyone done it (Cajungeo?) -if so how did it work?
Any problems or tips?
I've reloaded ammo, but using a 243 expander ball and one or two grains of powder seem a little too complicated.

:cool:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey djskt,
I firelaped my mini's barrel in march. I always document each mod to see what works. I use the same ammo, shooting conditions, etc, and use an average, of 8 to 10, 5 shot groups. Firelaping my mini group average shrank by better than 1/4" i.e. .270" average. If I had an old mini I probably wouldn't have firelaped as the bore is probably already laped.
The Idea is to remove tight spots, and polish the rough machine marks to a smooth bore, resulting in a more accurate bore which fouls less. I didn't have the powder Mike recommended, I believe blue dot?. So I used pistol powder H110, and used 3 gr. ( you don't want to swedge a bullet in the bore, but you need a very low velocity ). You need to use the larger expander button so when you seat the bullet, it won't cut off the grit.(I asked around, and borrowed a .243) You could try a tapered drill bit, or rod (tap with a hammer?) When seating the bullets, always start with the 600 grit first, then the 320 grit, last the 220 grit. This is so you won't get the course grit in with the final fine 600 grit. When finished clean your seating die. Then go by the instructions. You can use a soft lead .22 cal bullet (not a .223, and not jacketed!) to slug your bore (push down bore with a cleaning rod, and jagger with a flat tip, to feel the tight spots in the bore. Or use the fire for accuracy method like I did. Mike will give you plenty of instructions for the whole job, preping, cleaning etc. start to finish.
There are several firelap kits on the market, but I chose Mikes because: (1) you need soft lead bullets (not jacked) besides the grits, and most kits just have the grit, Mikes comes ready to load (2) As usual Mike gives a "combo discount" I got the glass beding/ firelap video, and the laping bullets at a discount. He gives you enough bullets to do 2 mini's, or one stuborn one. I only used half (3) I trust Mikes products, and word. So far it has always been on the mark!
I'm glad I did it. It was a simple job, but a lot of cleaning during. I hope this helps. It works for me!:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts