Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is binn béal ina thost.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thank you for having me on the forum. I just wanted to share my new (and first) rifle, after having completed all the mods I wanted done with it. Nothing spectacular, but it produced exactly the kind of carbine I was looking for:

Started out with a stock 582 Mini-14 Ranch Rifle

- Choate M14 style handguard.
- Tech Sights MINI2000 adjustable rear sights.
- Barrel chop and crown down to 16.26" from 18.5" (expertly done by walk-in to Randall at AR15barrels.com, whom I highly recommend if you're in Southern California)
- Choate pin-on recoil compensator (also by Randall)
- Accu-strut Socom model barrel stabilizer.
- 1" M14 sling (from Accessories)
- M1 Carbine reproduction buttstock pouch.

It's more or less an M1A Scout Squad clone minus the optic, which I really don't plan on putting on any time soon. As far as the buttstock pouch goes, obviously it won't hold two Mini magazines, but I like the look of it and I cut the stitching inside of it that divides the compartments to make one big compartment where I keep a cleaning cloth, sight adjustment tool, stripper clip guide, and boresnake. It will hold one ten round magazine as well.

Anyhow, I thought some of you might like to see it since I couldn't find many pictures for ideas when I was figuring out what to do to mine. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Is binn béal ina thost.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I really dig the M1A look.

Cheers,
Dave
Thank you!

Also, I meant to mention that the pouch would hold quite a few stripper clips if a receiver-mounted guide (as discussed in another thread) were to be developed. Here's hoping that's still in the works!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Hello all, and thank you for having me on the forum. I just wanted to share my new (and first) rifle, after having completed all the mods I wanted done with it. Nothing spectacular, but it produced exactly the kind of carbine I was looking for:

Started out with a stock 582 Mini-14 Ranch Rifle

- Choate M14 style handguard.
- Tech Sights MINI2000 adjustable rear sights.
- Barrel chop and crown down to 16.26" from 18.5" (expertly done by walk-in to Randall at AR15barrels.com, whom I highly recommend if you're in Southern California)
- Choate pin-on recoil compensator (also by Randall)
- Accu-strut Socom model barrel stabilizer.
- 1" M14 sling (from Accessories)
- M1 Carbine reproduction buttstock pouch.

It's more or less an M1A Scout Squad clone minus the optic, which I really don't plan on putting on any time soon. As far as the buttstock pouch goes, obviously it won't hold two Mini magazines, but I like the look of it and I cut the stitching inside of it that divides the compartments to make one big compartment where I keep a cleaning cloth, sight adjustment tool, stripper clip guide, and boresnake. It will hold one ten round magazine as well.

Anyhow, I thought some of you might like to see it since I couldn't find many pictures for ideas when I was figuring out what to do to mine. Thanks for looking!
Those are 10 round mags? Nice looking setup

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looking good! I really dig the look of that

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Yes sir, the one pictured here is the John Masen 10-round magazine.
I like those. I have a couple. They work flawless in my mini and they are little bigger. When mine came in I opened the package and panicked thinking I was some how misshipped 15 round mags by mistake.

I got a wild hair up my ass and slapped a two grenade pouch on the stock of my mini. Holds 2 10 rounders in each pouch. Its completely impractical and makes the stock extremely heavy.:D

·
Is binn béal ina thost.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like those. I have a couple. They work flawless in my mini and they are little bigger. When mine came in I opened the package and panicked thinking I was some how misshipped 15 round mags by mistake.

I got a wild hair up my ass and slapped a two grenade pouch on the stock of my mini. Holds 2 10 rounders in each pouch. Its completely impractical and makes the stock extremely heavy.:D
I like it too. As for 10 rounders, I've only got one Masen, one Promag (which I do not like at all), and two Factory Ruger magazines.

Impracticality aside, I'd really love to see what that greande pouch looks like on the mini!

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I like it too. As for 10 rounders, I've only got one Masen, one Promag (which I do not like at all), and two Factory Ruger magazines.

Impracticality aside, I'd really love to see what that greande pouch looks like on the mini!

I put an elastic shotgun shell holder on to clip the molle straps through

Like I said... impractical and heavy. I wanted to see if it was possible and it is.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Great rifle! How do you like the Tech Sight? Is it any taller than the factory sight?

I have the opposite experience with mags. I have 3 Masen 10 round mags and 3 Promag 10 round mags. Hate the Masen and like the Promag...I put the Masen mags back in the bag and stuck them in the closet!

·
Is binn béal ina thost.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great rifle! How do you like the Tech Sight? Is it any taller than the factory sight?

I have the opposite experience with mags. I have 3 Masen 10 round mags and 3 Promag 10 round mags. Hate the Masen and like the Promag...I put the Masen mags back in the bag and stuck them in the closet!
To be honest, I never shot it with the factory sight - I installed the tech sight immediately, but I do like it quite a bit.

I have one Promag and one Masen. I had a lot of problems with the Masen recently. It holds the rounds awkwardly and often time the rounds seem to get pushed down on the back end and the rifle won't strip them off of the magazine. The Promag functions okay, but doesn't fit very well. Again the curse of the aftermarket magazine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.