Perfect Union banner

Finaly ordered one

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  lcm 
#1 ·
Well after 20 years of meaning to I mailed off my application to CMP for a garand and a mossberg .22. The web site said 45-90 days anybody have recent experience? I am, of course like a child waiting for Christmas. Should I have the headspacing checked by a gunsmith before I shoot it? Does anyone have any advice on cheap ammo other than cheaperthandirt.com and sportsman’s guide? Why do hot dogs come ten to a pack and hot dog buns only eight to a pack? When will Beetle Bailey make his E2? How come they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day but everything in it is bad for you?

:usa: Jeff

#2 ·
Hey Jeff -
I have an order in for a Garand and a Mossberg .22 that I mailed on April 2, so it coming up to a month now. My pops ordered one in January and we got it in 30 days.
Looks like they've just gone to a new system where you can choose you manufacturer, that may slow things up?
Have you looked at the ammo that the CMP sells?
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/ammo.htm
$88 bucks for 400 rds??

I know that they check the rifles pretty good before they send them, but I'm sending mine to Fulton for the $75 once over.
:usa:

#3 ·
Up to a few months ago, the CMP had a rifle in your hands in about a month. Right now, there is a TON of orders being processed for the 1903 type rifles being offered.

All those bolt action rifle orders have pushed up the wait for any rifles from the CMP. The website says you may experience a "30-90 day wait", and that seems to be true.

On the plus side, the M1 Garand rifles I have received from the CMP have definately been worth the wait. You will not be disapointed :)

http://www.a308dsit.i8.com/

Attachments

#4 ·
Well ??????
I'm like a kid waiting for christmas all the worse because I don't know how long it will take.

Jeff:usa:

#5 ·
No and I'm checking my credit card activity on the internet everyday to see when the charge hits. :)
I think 308garand is a week ahead of me on the 1903 list. (I ordered a 1903 along witht the garand and mossberg)
My guess is that they are clearing the 1903's out and getting to the M1 when they can.
I'm thinking I'm in the 90 day range. :(

#6 ·
Roger I am checking my credit card daily to. I am concerned about the .22 they expected them to run out about now. I found a place with magazines and one with new trigger guards and as soon as I know it is on the way I want to order them. Also I need to order ammo and clips but for budget purposes I would prefer it to be next month. Looks like that will work

Jeff :usa:

#9 ·
djskit

I ordered the Springfield, I was being cheap but I guess it was a good call. I was thinking of ordering one of the Danish ones to make a shooter out of but I am not sure I would shoot it much with the cost of ammo in 30-06. I mailed my order on 1 May so I hope I got in under the wire for the Mossberg I need another .22. I only have three and one is a pistol and the other two are collectors Items. One of those belonged to my great grandfather so I want to keep it in good condition for my son (now 7 yrs) to shoot with his son. I was hoping for something I could turn into a competitor for the informal silhouette matches we have here. At 75 bucks I could exercise my fledgling gunsmithing skills and not cry if it doesn’t turn out quite right. I am on temporary duty in Nevada for a couple of weeks. So I won’t be on the board. I hope I hear something but it sounds like it could be another month.

"God, Guns and Guts make a Ranger"

#10 ·
I called CMP today I was concerned since I am going to take the family camping for a week. No worry, orders are taking more than 90 Days so it looks like no sooner than 1 AUG. Hopefully it comes before I start a six month rotation overseas in mid sep.

#11 ·
called again now the word is 120 Days. The woman on the phone thougt I was good for the .22 though

#12 ·
Well it finally came today. It’s beautiful. The serial number is 336,XXX. One web site I checked with says it was made in Sep of 41 so it is 61 years old this month. I should look so good at 61. It is exactly what it is described as “in serviceable condition” The stock is rough a lot of dings and markings to include a white painted rack number. However there is not a single crack. The metal is in excellent condition except for the back of the front sight guard and the bayonet lug which look like someone was using it to break metal retaining bands or something. Clearly several parts have been changed, as they are quite a bit newer than the rest of the weapon. The barrel looks like it was changed it appears almost new inside and out. The follower also appears new along with some other parts. I have duty tomorrow night so I will not get to clean off the cosmoline until Friday night. I will post pics of before and after the cleaning. Can’t wait to shoot it. It has enough replaced parts so I will probably use it for a shooter. If it looked collectable I was going to get a Danish model for a shooter and just pack this one away for life insurance (it’s not an investment unless you plan to sell it but she can sell most of them after I die.)

God, Guns and Guts make a Ranger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.