Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of study and conversation I finally took the plunge and bought a Scout in walnut furniture. I spent the first couple weeks of ownership obsessing about the cost of ownership. It's about three times as expensive as my next most expensive gun and it eats ammo that's also three times as expensive. Getting the irons sighted in was fun, but I obsessed about the whole range and MOA thing.

Today I had it out and just shot at old paper targets on the 100 yard range. It was too muddy and I was too lazy to set up real targets, so I just plinked at trash others had left out there. Damn, was that fun! I shot three boxes of 308 and never measured a thing. Just watched the paper fly up in the air. It finally occurred to me that this is one of the sweet spots of the M!4/M1A. Appleseed taught me the fundamentals and I get that Minute of Pop Can at 100 yards is barely Minute of Zombie at 400 yards, but making paper scraps fly at 100 yards off hand at 100 yards is a ton of fun. I'm hooked.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congratulations! No finer arm exists in my reality than the M1A. Its a classic that still holds its own in most any arena.

In addition to soda cans and zombies, the ol' M1A seems rather adept at taking out modern day pirates :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Draws a crowd at the range too. I love it more and more with every passing round.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Real pics or it didn't happen....:lol:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congratulations! I'm saving my pennies (or trying to, anyway!) for an M1A. Did a lot of shooting with the M14 while I was in the Navy (my ship had about 25 of them, 4 with selectors, back in the late '80s) and have wanted one every since. For the moment I'm content with the big guns little brother, the Mini-14.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Real pics or it didn't happen....:lol:
I hear that. For better or worse, pictures will have to wait till the next range trip. And I know what you mean about the Mini 14 Q. I love mine and trust it completely. Nothing like the big boom of a 308 round leaving the Scout though. Warms my heart just thinking about it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I used to shoot paper targets from sandbags and rests when I didn't know any better. I was looking for tight groups with expensive rifles. Now I view that as a waste of time and ammo. Bags and paper have their place when setting up the irons and optics but after that I'm shooting steel plates up to 200 yd offhand, practicing mounting and firing a shot fairly quick, sometimes practicing with quick follow-up shots.

I love my M14 clone. Had a Scout and liked it but sold it to build GI parts on a Fulton receiver with Criterion barrel. Heck of a shooter. Garands and M14 have such a smooth cycle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts