Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Midway finally came through and now I can load up some brass for my AR10. I have enough primers for now and just enough of a decent powder for it CFE223 under some 30 year old 165 grain factory seconds from Remington I picked up at a gun show, a huge bag of them. Where are the powders and primers? Go out to auction sites, you better bend over with lube. I have several notifications set at Midway but you have to be quick on the draw, the upside is normal price levels. Stay tuned, I'll get some loaded up for testing here next week. Lee Pacesetter 3 die set.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
374 Posts
Congrats on accumulating some reloading components . Hope you get some good trigger time . Let us know how you have done.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Who would of ever thought it would take so long to get basic reloading items?
Good for you Chill, hopefully, you find a good load quickly and easily.
I got my SR25 clone done a while back, but haven't had time to shoot it. I plan on testing it tomorrow.

Reactions: chill1955

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Midway finally came through and now I can load up some brass for my AR10. I have enough primers for now and just enough of a decent powder for it CFE223 under some 30 year old 165 grain factory seconds from Remington I picked up at a gun show, a huge bag of them. Where are the powders and primers? Go out to auction sites, you better bend over with lube. I have several notifications set at Midway but you have to be quick on the draw, the upside is normal price levels. Stay tuned, I'll get some loaded up for testing here next week. Lee Pacesetter 3 die set.
amazon has any brand reloading dies in stock, I picked up lee 7.62 x 39 a while back from them, they were cheaper from amazon than any of the bigger reloading supply places..unknown about now as prices on everything across the board is freaking crazy...a 2 x 4 x 8 is about 8 bucks at home depot now...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't buy shat from Bezos. Paid normal price for the Lee dies. And I just went and checked their price 69 bucks..LOL I paid 39.00 bucks and I would like to see those dies from Amazon actually ship, bet they don't have them.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who would of ever thought it would take so long to get basic reloading items?
Good for you Chill, hopefully, you find a good load quickly and easily.
I got my SR25 clone done a while back, but haven't had time to shoot it. I plan on testing it tomorrow.
Mine is A RRA LAR8. Darn thing is very very accurate on NATO stuff. But yeah primers and powders are like unobtainium.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't buy shat from Bezos. Paid normal price for the Lee dies. And I just went and checked their price 69 bucks..LOL I paid 39.00 bucks and I would like to see those dies from Amazon actually ship, bet they don't have them.
I check about half a dozen places for both price and availability, when I bought the dies amazon was the cheapest, as I dont pay shipping and get 5% back on all purchases...Ive bought from midway, nachez, brownels and a few others..now pricing has just gone stupid...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Made up three for testing. They are up near the top 47.9 grains of CFE-223 because thats what I have, under 165 grain Remington core lock. These should be stout loads so we'll see, I may back them down a bit after these three. The max loading data is done with bolt guns and I have read conflicting opinions on loading for AR/semi platforms. But when you buy hunting ammo they are at the top of the energy curve so ...we shall see. If the rain clears off, I'll run out back.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting results. The 165 grain load is about 3 moa below POI the NATO 147 grain at 50 yards. I was surprised by the difference. Then came the real surprise when I went to reload the NATO cases because you know I had to burn a mag to make sure the rifle is still on for those round. Check this out first NATO case!
bent decapping pin.JPG

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup read all about it after the fact. Used the hydraulic method to knock a couple out that worked well. Looked at various labor intensive conversions to boxer. These are DAG 93 vintage. I'll set these aside until I find Berdan primers which may be never? Converting these would be an act of total desperation, which may come to pass some day. I hope Lee will just laugh and send me a new decapper/resizer shaft.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
theres a bunch of videos on how to do it, this one looks easy, you just have to make the punch much more stout to work..

heres a link for a kit to convert them
but it seems you need some type of sleeve for the boxer primers...
doesnt look like its worth the trouble unless you have oddball cases you cant find or are $$$$ to get boxer ones to reload..

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I saw this one. Then somebody reviewed actually shooting some modified cases and not so good. So in desperation maybe, but for now I' gather them up and save them, or scatter them across the battlefield!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts