Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put several hundred rounds through the 20 Promag 10 round mags this morning. Not one single failure. Looks like the Mini-14 mag issue is solved.

fourfourmag.com has these for $155 for 10.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Dave3006
Looks like the Mini-14 mag issue is solved.

Dave
Roger that. I'm happy with mine also. Did you have to do modifying with the last ten you got from Mark?

Why do you want so many 10 round magazines, if you don't mind my asking? And please tell me again the 'solution' you mentioned for carrying several of the 10 round magazines. Do you have a link to it?

Oh, were your mags SS or blued? Mine are the former. I'm wondering if maybe there was a different production line or whatever and the blued ones had some sort of production error (that you since skillfully corrected :D)

I'd like to find some 20 or 15 round magazines. I have 2 30 round PMIs, and I believe that's all the 'high' capacity I need/want, but the shorter ones appeal to me. I keep one of the 10 round Promags loaded in my nighstand (of course, the rifle is secured in another room, but it's the thought that counts, eh? :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The web belt is the standard belt for the M1 Garand. It holds the enbloc clips and the 10 round mags perfectly.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product...0M8UXLFW6386TT1

Yes. I did have to modify 4 of the second ten. No big deal though. They work 100% perfect. I did notice that you have to download them 1 or 2 rounds if you want to put them in the gun with a round already in the chamber.

I have two Mini-14s. I wanted 10 mags per gun. I am a prisoner in occupied Kali. I could go to Arizona and buy PMIs I guess. But, I actually liked the 10 rounders. You can get closer to the ground with them. The role of the Mini-14 for me is a gun I can give my wife when the SHTF. My hands down favorite is my Garand. It would be too heavy for her. The Mini-14 has also been a blast for me and my eight year old to take to the range. He shoots it well if I sandbag the front of the gun (It is too heavy for him).

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Guys, I received my 10 round stainless today from FourFour.com.The stainless mag looks great, it is however, a chore, to actually get it seated in the rifle? Perhaps the dimensions are a tad to big, as it takes me 2 to 4 minutes to get this thing to seat correctly! Anyone else have a similiar problem?

Larry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not good. Are you doing it with the bolt open or closed? Is the magazine loaded? If so, how many rounds are in it.

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Dave,
Actually, all of the above!!I just can't figure this out as it will not seat in a correct fashion. Instead of a fluid movement with the sound of a "click," I fumble around thinking that it has locked up, only to find out that I can pull the mag from the bottom with little effort. It the mag is loaded or not, makes litttle difference. It just seems that the "clatch" for lack of a better word, on the back of the mag, is to long? Its so clumsy putting this in, I almost feel that I am doing unwanted things to the rifle!!

Larry

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange. If the mag is loaded to capacity, it can be tough getting in on a closed bolt. But, since you tried it empty, you may want to call Promag. They have a lifetime guarrantee. Sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"I am a prisoner in occupied Kali. I could go to Arizona and buy PMIs I guess. But, I actually liked the 10 rounders. You can get closer to the ground with them. "

I see you have a sense of humor! :D You're right, though, I see the logic of what you're doing. I have been pleased with my 10 round ProMag mags. It's odd that you've had to modify some of yours. I have not had that problem, but I only have 3. I shot them again this weekend to verify my 100% results earlier; all passed muster again.

I have yet to insert one of the magazines with a round in the chamber. I've not tried that with the Mini. If one couldn't insert a fully loaded magazine with a round in the chamber of a handgun it'd be a no-go. That's a good point, and I need to try that in my Mini next time I shoot.

Thanks for the CTD link, Dave.

BTW, the Otis cleaning "system" is awesome. One of the best accessories I've ever purchased. Costly at about $40 with shipping, but it bests the heck out of trying to clean the Mini (et al) with the typical cleaning rod.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"as it takes me 2 to 4 minutes to get this thing to seat correctly! "

Are you sure you're inserting the magazine correctly? The front part in first, then rock the rear part upward? If you're trying to insert the magazine straight up I think you'll have problems.

I'm not implying you don't know how to load your own rifle, but figured we ought to cover all the possibilites, eh? :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The OTIS system is great. I use it all the time.

Regarding loading magazines filled to capacity, when I used to have my AR15, I also had a problem inserting a 30 round mag filled with 30 rounds in my gun with the bolt closed. I think the problem relates to the fact that the spring in the magazine is fully depressed in this full condition and prevents it from seating properly.

In the 3 tactical rifle classes I have taken, I would say one of the most common mistakes causing a gun not to go bang was that people did not seat their mags properly when they were in a hurry. After I insert a magazine, it is now a habit to give it a tug to verify that it is in there.

Dave

- You need a sense of humor to live in Kali. If I didn't laugh, I would cry.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i have a real crappy no name that had similar problems i took an over sized drill bit and turned it by hand on the circle to taper it a bit just don't use a drill:D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Dave3006
... one of the most common mistakes causing a gun not to go bang was that people did not seat their mags properly when they were in a hurry. ..

- You need a sense of humor to live in Kali. If I didn't laugh, I would cry. [/i]
Roger that on the magazines. When I was shooting IDPA I saw that a lot. Even happened to me once or twice. Makes a believer out of you after it's happened, right?

I know what you mean about CA. Both my wife and I were born there. My dad, aunt and cousins still live there. We like to visit, but choose not to live there after I left active duty in 1976.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, ya'll, been lurking around awhile, lots of good info on minis.
In response to TADY45:
I've had the same problem with the promag ss 10 rounders. If you measure the ss mags and compare the diminsions with a Ruger 5 round mag you can see the problem, although very slight it still is significant.
The length of the mag and the width at the rear of the mag are greater than factory.
I removed the stock and chamfered the bottom of the mag well at a 45 degree angle the full thickness of the material of the mag well. This seemed to remedy the problem a bit though it still hangs up a little bit.
Also squeezing the mag a little bit helps. This all does alleviate the mag insertion problem it is far from what i would consider perfect (like doing it in the dark, under pressure... inserting a mag I mean) Hope this helps some, btw every mag i have purchased I've had to modify the rear catch by grinding a small amount of the catch down. There muct be some variation in the model years of manufacture. (182)

Guy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi guys, Thought i'd chime in here. Its been my experience with rocknlock mags (M1A, FAL, mini) that you sometimes have to file a little off the bottom of the rear mag catch. I don't have any experience with the ten rounders your talking about, but if it were me, I'd make sure I was getting good engagement with the locating pin in front of the mag, then file a VERY little at a time off the bottom of the rear catch until I got good reliable lockup and insertion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Guy.... Well, welcome aboad and thanks for the info. I thought the stainless was a bit to large, and inserting any mag should be a rather easy process. I have several types from various manufactures, and never had this type of problem! Hell, forget "under pressure" I am having a time of it with all of the lights on and nobody shooting at me...:) In retrospect, I remember reading somewhere that stainless mags are a bit problematic. Do you have the blued PROMAG and if so, how are they? By the way, do you own any PMI (Precision Mag Industries) and if so, give us a report. High cap John Mason Co is next on my list, do you have any experience with these? I have a ten rounder that has been great!! These are made I believe in your neck of the woods, North Carolina.

Larry

·
Registered
685 Posts
sure it's not for a mini 30? not insulting your intelgence i hope but gotta ask.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Negative Boogey....I do not own a 7.62X39 just yet!! It does fit, its just not a smooth process. When I am fooling around at the range etc, I have the time to mess with this thing. In an emergency, forget it. My "no name brand X" that I plucked from a fishbowl at my local gunshop, is a 10 round mag (blued) that is longer than my SS and it goes in easier etc. Whatever, an extra mag is not a bad thing to have...

Larry:usa:

·
Registered
160 Posts
"There muct be some variation in the model years of manufacture. (182)

"

I suppose that's possible. I've had zero problems with my ProMag 10 round SS magazines. I purchased my Mini 14 just after Christmas 2001. How old is yours? How about Dave 3006 I wonder?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts