Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three new mags for my 10/22 and today was their first day at the range. The 10 round rotary mags did fine with Federal copper jacket hollow point 22LR (the bulk 525 box), but they refused to feed from the 25 round BX-25. Strange, because I have read nothing but glowing reviews of this new Ruger mag. After fighting to get it unloaded, I put five rounds in and they fed without incident. The feed problems were when I had it loaded to capacity right from the beginning.

Surely the BX-25 is more than a 5 or 10 round magazine? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Low. I've read literally dozens of reviews like yours. Totally different experience for me though. I took the BX-25 apart last night and it looked clean and perfect inside. The problem was that the follower and lips weren't orienting the rounds bullet up. With the bullet end too low, the bolt would come forward and bind the hollow point against the front of the mag. Not sure how to fix that...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! After a lot of reading and examination of my new mags, I found some binding between the bolt and the flat cast face of each magazine. I was all set to file them down as prescribed, but decided to test fire them first. Instead of copper jacket ammo, I used Blazer lead bullet rounds. Not a single misfeed or jam. Not on the new 10 round rotary mags. Not on the new 25 round BX-25. Not a single misfeed or jam. Weather was almost identical. Same rifle. Same mags. Same hand loading. Different rounds. Different day. Hopefully that's the end. I'm off to buy a few more boxes of Blazer 525s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 10/22 seems to like any CCI ammo. Some Federal loads tend to jam or stovepipe and the same with Winchester,I think due to differences in rim thickness. Some rounds are just a bit too long and the bullet tip drags on the feed ramp edge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts