Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Does anyone know how one might remove the folding stock and its locking assembly? I also can't get the bolt/screw out that holds the pistol grip on, although the pistol grip did come off. It's a pretty unusual stock and forcing things didn't seem like a good idea.

It needs refinishing as whatever was done before has basically worn off (it got rained on). It'll be an awkward job doing this with these parts still attached.

I also noticed the stock has no liner or reinforcing parts - is that normal for these? It is a fairly tight fit with the receiver at the rear of the stock, despite the lack of these parts. I think it maybe is a problem that they aren't fitted since the magazines, especially the 30rnd, seem very loose when fitted (to the point it'll shake loose with a little pressure). There is also a gap between the front-lip of the stock and the gas-block.

The rifle is a 2003 manufacture and I did wonder if it would still fit with the stock if these parts are added? We don't get any Mini-14s of the era this stock was made in over here and I don't know how different the receivers are.

That's actually quite a rare model of Mini. In the UK, the law prohibits self-loading CF rifles, so these were factory built without gas-parts such as the piston, gas-ports, etc. Our laws said nothing about the GB being an issue, so many were made with the bayonet lug and flash-hider, just like this one.

I like the rifles but nobody in this country specializes in them. Forums are the best way to learn about them.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The stock is very rare, it may be better to refinish entact. ..

·
absit iniuria verbis
323 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Does it not field strip like a normal Mini-14? Isn't there a small hole in the rear of the trigger guard (just in front of the pistol grip) to pry it up? You pop up the trigger guard, then the trigger group drops out the bottom, and the receiver lifts off the stock from above.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Does it not field strip like a normal Mini-14? Isn't there a small hole in the rear of the trigger guard (just in front of the pistol grip) to pry it up? You pop up the trigger guard, then the trigger group drops out the bottom, and the receiver lifts off the stock from above.
I think hes trying to take the folding hardware off the wood so he can refinish the wood.

·
absit iniuria verbis
323 Posts
D'oh! My bad I read:
...Does anyone know how one might remove the folding stock...
and thought he meant the entire stock, not just the folding part, but I guess,
...I also noticed the stock has no liner or reinforcing parts...
means he's gotten it taken apart already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure the original photo would enlarge, so:

Probably could finish it with the stock still fitted, although I was a bit concerned something might leak in the locking assembly of it. Maybe some well positioned tape will keep it safe.

Bit worried the wood might crack if it doesn't have a liner.

and thought he meant the entire stock, not just the folding part, but I guess,
I wasn't too sure about what the actual stock section on a folder would be called. It is just the metal parts that need removal.

I think a general rule of firearms value is that original patina is valuable and refinished wood, cleaned metal, is a bad thing.
It is indeed true, but this stock isn't quite at that level yet. I wouldn't refinish it in something lurid, but a decent finish on the wood shouldn't hurt.

Value is already a losing battle with this sort of stock in England as Mini-14s are unusual and not very popular. It'd be a hard sell, even with the original box and stock in unused condition.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Bit worried the wood might crack if it doesn't have a liner.
If that Mini is a single shot without the gas piston I don't think the stock liner is that big of a deal but I do think it needs the mag well metal and the two screws that hold it in. Its hard to tell form your picture, there should be two screws and star washers, one in each side in the holes above and in front of the safety holding the mag well reinforcement in. The mag well reinforcement also locks down the stock liner in the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that Mini is a single shot without the gas piston I don't think the stock liner is that big of a deal but I do think it needs the mag well metal and the two screws that hold it in. Its hard to tell form your picture, there should be two screws and star washers, one in each side in the holes above and in front of the safety holding the mag well reinforcement in. The mag well reinforcement also locks down the stock liner in the back.
I ordered both parts just in case, but whether or not Numrich will ship them is another matter. Didn't appear that any of it would violate ITAR.

For the moment the rifle is back in its Butler Creek stock. The gas-block needs sorting out as I don't think it has been placed correctly (too far forward) and the bolts certainly weren't set up right. The accuracy had taken a dip from before it was sent off to be painted and visually the top part of the gas-block was slightly canted when it came back.

It would be easy enough to sort if I could find a allen wrench that fitted the Accu-Strut rear grubscrew! :D

Turns out those parts retaining the stock are called "Self-Locking External Retaining Rings", a part which someone has kindly directed me to a source for. Not sure if they'll stock the correct size, but here is the site.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Those are the wrong if your talking about the screws and washers for the mag well reinforcement. You want common star washers for those screws, they are common at any hardware store. Heres what you want McMaster-Carr

·
absit iniuria verbis
323 Posts
....Turns out those parts retaining the stock are called "Self-Locking External Retaining Rings"....
I was wondering how you were going to get those off to remove the folder. Since you bought a couple new ones, I'm guessing you destroyed the old ones while prying them off or was there a trick?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greetings. New here. I have a NIB Fed Ord folding stock for Mini 14, but one of the retainers mentioned above is missing. Guess that is why I got it so cheap...
Anyway, I have been looking everywhere (except McMaster-Carr...) for them and nobody had them in 3/4" I.D.
Sure glad I stumbled on this site and got a good direction to focus my search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked one of these stocks up off ebay. It's missing all of the metal inside. I can get the mag well piece but I don't know if this stock came with the front liner or not. Anybody know if it did?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.