Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Federal brass any good?

I was just reading a thread elsewhere that was saying that the American Eagle brass especially has a thin web and should NOT be reloaded.

I guess it is time to get the dremel tool out and see just how thick or thin mine is.

Just to make it worse they were saying it varies a lot.

Of course they were also saying it blows out primers which has never happened with my AE shooting.

Any comments?

Dennis Jenkins

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont hotrod my loads so my comments may not help.For several years I have been using Federal brass for my 45acp and 9mm reloads and the cases have been excellent. This is once fired brass which I gathered after the police used our range for training. The only problem I have has is with the rims on the 45acp brass. They sometimes get battered and if the rim wont slip into the end of my Dillon gage, I reject them for reloading.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These guys were having case failures in the web area and blowing up nice AR15's in the process.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally posted by gunsmithlee
Personally I wouldn't waiste my money. I buy bulk from www.wideners.com and just about anything they have lasts a good 8 reloads before it starts cracking.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Noone really said what we're talking about here, but I'm guessing that we're talking about .308/7.62? If so let me know and I can post some pics of some brass I sectioned with a bandsaw. IIRC, PMC fell out thicker than Milspec in the web area with Federal being third. I'll dig up the info and pics...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Assuming we're talking .308 heres the pics. Disregard if I'm in left field to topic.

Left to right; Winchester, R-P, PMC, FC, LC Match

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Whoh. Makes you want to stay away from the Federal doesn't it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Edward429451,

Was the Federal brass the Gold Medal line or their standard line?

--
Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess the E-mail notification drops off after awhile, huh?

Anyway, The Fed was standard line.

·
Registered
534 Posts
What is the Mexican Match load?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mexican match is a military round that has the original bullet pulled and replaced with a match bullet of your choice, keeping the original powder and primer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts