Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
given a speed rig and a 10" disk at 10 ft, hands starting relaxed at your sides, you should be able to react to the timer's beep, draw, get a 2 handed, eye level firing position and hit the disk in .70 second, average of 5 tries, once you're warmed up. with a "cold" start, you should still be able to average .85 second or so. Adding in different hand-start positions will bring your average up about .05 second. Making yourself pivot 90 degrees to left and right will add another .10 second, maybe a bit less. Making yourself pivot 180 degrees, to left and right, will add yet another .10 second, maybe a bit more. Using a truly concealable (ie, IWB holster, behind your hip will add at least another .05 second and actually concealing it will add at least another .15 second. But a top hand can average sub 1.0 second to react, clear a t shirt, draw and hit a 10" disk at 10 ft. .20 second of that is his reaction time to the timer's beep. So the actual physical movement is .80 or less. If he starts hand on gun, in a pocket, this react, draw and hit time can be cut to .70 second, with the actual physical movement being .50 second. If you learn to sidestep as you do this, you can actually "beat the drop" of a man pointing a gun at you already. He will have .20 second of reaction time, .20 second of recognition-interval, and .20 second needed to move his gun and arm over to your new location. .60 second total and you'll have shot him first. Naturally, it's best to keep moving and to have waited for him to be distracted before you move. If he takes his eyes off of a truly skilled man, he'll never see anything else, ever again.

· Patron Saint of Rye
568 Posts
given a speed rig and a 10" disk at 10 ft, hands starting relaxed at your sides, you should be able to react to the timer's beep, draw, get a 2 handed, eye level firing position and hit the disk in .70 second, average of 5 tries, once you're warmed up. with a "cold" start, you should still be able to average .85 second or so. Adding in different hand-start positions will bring your average up about .05 second. Making yourself pivot 90 degrees to left and right will add another .10 second, maybe a bit less. Making yourself pivot 180 degrees, to left and right, will add yet another .10 second, maybe a bit more. Using a truly concealable (ie, IWB holster, behind your hip will add at least another .05 second and actually concealing it will add at least another .15 second. But a top hand can average sub 1.0 second to react, clear a t shirt, draw and hit a 10" disk at 10 ft. .20 second of that is his reaction time to the timer's beep. So the actual physical movement is .80 or less. If he starts hand on gun, in a pocket, this react, draw and hit time can be cut to .70 second, with the actual physical movement being .50 second. If you learn to sidestep as you do this, you can actually "beat the drop" of a man pointing a gun at you already. He will have .20 second of reaction time, .20 second of recognition-interval, and .20 second needed to move his gun and arm over to your new location. .60 second total and you'll have shot him first. Naturally, it's best to keep moving and to have waited for him to be distracted before you move. If he takes his eyes off of a truly skilled man, he'll never see anything else, ever again.
Please... show me these 0.1 second horizontal transitions. That's faster than any Grand Master in the world.

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Fastest Gun Ed McGivern's Colt SAA Revolver

Ed McGivern fired two times from 20 feet five shots which could be covered by a half-dollar piece in 45/100's of a second, August 20, 1932."

He set another record on September 13, 1932, shooting five rounds from a double-action revolver at 15 feet in 2/5 of a second, and covering the group with his hand. His shooting was so rapid, timing machines would malfunction in attempting to record his shooting speed.

McGivern was capable of many amazing shooting feats, most of them well documented in his book. To name just a few:
He could break six simultaneously hand-thrown clay pigeons (standard trap targets) in the air before they hit the ground.
He could hit a tin can hand-thrown 20 ft in the air five times before it hit the ground.
He could drive a tack or nail into wood by shooting it.
He could shoot the spots out of playing cards at 18 feet, or even split a playing card edge on.
He could shoot a dime on the fly.

http://www.edmcgivern.com/didyouknow.html
https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts/past-masters-of-the-double-action-sixgun-part-8/

Reactions: SMOGGUY

· Honor our Constitution !
4,700 Posts
for "fast draw" I prefer my 3.5" "Shopkeeper" SAA w/birds-head grip, OR my Mod.4 S&W from 1905.......both are lightning fast to unholster & fire.
my Sig Ultra Compact 1911 is pretty damned fast coming from my Ross Gunleather belt holster too........

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for "fast draw" I prefer my 3.5" "Shopkeeper" SAA w/birds-head grip, OR my Mod.4 S&W from 1905.......both are lightning fast to unholster & fire.
my Sig Ultra Compact 1911 is pretty damned fast coming from my Ross Gunleather belt holster too........
yeah, yeah So get a timer and you'll find out how slow you actually are and you'll get faster. Within a week of my getting my first timer, I was 1/4 second faster to draw and hit reliably, and everyone thought I was super fast before I got it, too

· Patron Saint of Rye
568 Posts
I said nothing here about splits. All I said was 1.0 second That's one full second, for the ignorant
Read your post again. You stated that a 90° pivot will add 0.1 seconds. That's a horizontal transition... and nobody is doing that in a tenth of a second.

Overall, your stated times simply aren't realistic... For example, Steel Challenge World Champions are pulling off 0.7 second draws to first round hits with a scoop draw and full up Open-Division gear.

· Honor our Constitution !
4,700 Posts
yeah, yeah So get a timer and you'll find out how slow you actually are and you'll get faster. Within a week of my getting my first timer, I was 1/4 second faster to draw and hit reliably, and everyone thought I was super fast before I got it, too
but but......i'm not a racegunner.....just a shlub that carries for self defense.

I guess i'm destined to die against a super arch villain with super quickdraw timer reflexes.....oh well.

done here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.