Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys,

Just a new topic of discussion here:

I have seen several assault rifles (of various makes) that have so called tactical slings on them. I have seen them in use, and frankly don't see what the big deal is.

I have just an approx. 60"x 1 1/2" nylon sling on my Hogue overmolded stocked ss Mini 14. One end of the sling is simply looped around the base of the barrel, and the other end is looped around the base of the stock in front of the stud. This has allowed me to carry the rifle in various ready-use across the chest, by the side, barrel down, and across the back positions. It seems to work real well on this type cabine. The tactical slings appear to be complicated not only in putting on, but in using.

A friend of mine who has one of these tactical slings on his shorty AR-15 likes my single strap sling just as well. I don't know maybe I don't see the sense in spending $40.00 and up for a "tactical sling", versus $6.00 for the single strap sling I use. The trick is that the strap must be very long, and be able to secure to the barrel and stock of the rifle which allows it to fall in the ready position. The attachment to the barrel does not get in the way due to the fact that when the gun is brought up to the shooting position the slng falls to the side. I have also not had any problems with the barrel burning the nylon.

What do you guys think?

glynb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by glynb
OK Guys,

Just a new topic of discussion here:

I have seen several assault rifles (of various makes) that have so called tactical slings on them. I have seen them in use, and frankly don't see what the big deal is.

I have just an approx. 60"x 1 1/2" nylon sling on my Hogue overmolded stocked ss Mini 14. One end of the sling is simply looped around the base of the barrel, and the other end is looped around the base of the stock in front of the stud. Both connections have a small plastic buckle so the slng can be adjusted. This has allowed me to carry the rifle in various ready-use across the chest, by the side, barrel down, and across the back positions. It seems to work real well on this type cabine. The tactical slings appear to be complicated not only in putting on, but in using.

A friend of mine who has one of these tactical slings on his shorty AR-15 likes my single strap sling just as well. I don't know maybe I don't see the sense in spending $40.00 and up for a "tactical sling", versus $6.00 for the single strap sling I use. The trick is that the strap must be very long, and be able to secure to the barrel and stock of the rifle which allows it to fall in the ready position. The attachment to the barrel does not get in the way due to the fact that when the gun is brought up to the shooting position the slng falls to the side. I have also not had any problems with the barrel burning the nylon.

What do you guys think?

glynb
:usa:

·
Registered
567 Posts
For the "Wannabe" SWAT guys out there those high dollar slings are just the ticket. In VietNam we used to use the old issue sling on our M-14's in the same manner as you discribe.

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
83 Posts
I looked up the word "Tactical" in the dictionary and it said- adj: Something black and very over priced.:ar15:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts