Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just got a mini 14. It came with a 20 round mag (maybe 2) and I bought 2 factory 30 round mags directly from ruger.

So empty both the 20 round mags and the 30 round mags can be inserted flawlessly.

I just got some 223 remington 55 grain ammo today.

Put 20 into the 20 round mags and filled up the 30 round mags.

The 20s i can insert flawlessly. The 30 round mags when full (both of them) are difficult if not impossible to insert. they just do not want to click in. empy...no problem. full...a problem.

Does anyone else have or have had this problem...and if so...what is the solution?

Kind of frustrating. I have read...do not buy aftermarket mags...especially 30 rounds mags...so I spent the money going directly to ruger.

·
Registered
202 Posts
mine do the same they say they need inserted with the bolt open, myself I only pull the bolt back about an inch then insert then let the bolt slide over the top of the round if you don't want one in the chamber if you do then lock your bolt open, insert and let the bolt push one in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That works. I just went back and read the owners manual page 14...they say lock the bolt open then insert the mag. when I do that...it clicks in just the way it should.

Appreciate it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 20's click right in with a mag full and the bolt closed, not so with the factory 30. Try this, make sure the top shell in the mag is on the left side. Mine won't fit with it on the right with a closed bolt but will if it's on the left.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the idea of the 30 rounder--even own a few from the '80's-----but the 20's are so much handier and can be bought for nearly half the cost of a 30.

·
Registered
111 Posts
30 round problem

I too have had problems with 30's from some manufacturers. Further, the 20s are so much handier and can be bought for nearly half the cost of the 30s. I can't shoot the 30s when bench shooting or shooting prone so I stay with the 20's with a rubber magpul to enable them to be easily fish out of a pouch or my cargo shorts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35,044 Posts
It would be weird if 30 round PMI mags turned out to be more reliable than the factory 30 rounders. Not saying that's the case, yet. Not nearly enough data points to make that conclusion. But 30 round PMI mags are pretty darned reliable, in my experience, and that of many others.

Anyway, I agree the 20 round mag is all-around "best" for the Mini 14. It's the best overall balance.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I load and unload an AR 15 with 30 round mags almost on a daily basis. Most of the AR mags with 30 rounds will not load and lock into the rifle with the bolt forward. With 28 rounds it works every time. Even with the bolt open the 30 rounder may lock in but it won't load when the bolt goes forward unless I use the forward assist. I don't see a Mini 14 as any different. If you want 100% reliability, load 28. If you can't stop it in 28 you need all the range time you can get. I have a 30 round PMI mag and I had to tinker with it to get it to work and load 30 rounds. Non the less, it still works better with 28.

Some mags also refuse to work smoothly. If they were my mags I would trim and tinker with them to make them load and lock every time. Since they are not mine, I don't. You may also have to do this with your mags to make them 100% reliable. None of this is an exact science (forgings, castings and folded metal will always have some variations in them)and may need some intervention by the owner to make them fit your needs. Patience is a virtue. kwg

·
Registered
35,044 Posts
Yes I should mention that I never load my PMI 30 round mags all the way to 30. Probably 28 would be the norm. So I don't know how reliable they would be if "fully" loaded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts