Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a problem for you guys.... I have a mid 90's vintage mini-14 that I've put several hundred rounds of Federal - American Eagle brand FMJ ammo thru with no problems. In an attempt to save money, I purchased 500 rds of surplus Spanish NATO SS109. I read a review of it first at http://www.aaconsult.com/ammoreview/ and it looked good. But .... every third round or so is failing to be picked up by the extractor and remains stuck in the chamber after being fired. And it's usualy stuck in there pretty good. I have to pry it out with my knife. Does anyone have an idea as to what the problem is? It's like the bolt is comming back before the explosion is over with allowing the cartridge to slide back a little and expand to the point of locking itself in place.

·
Registered
32 Posts
M1A, Have you checked to see if the ammo you are using is lacquered? Some European ammo manufacturers use lacquer to seal their ammo. I had this problem using Cavim .308 ammo in my SAR8. The rounds would not eject, but if I used any other brand of ammo the ammo ejected fine. If this isn't the problem, check your extractor for movement. If there is movement, then you must replace the extractor plunger and/or plunger spring. Good Luck R6721

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the ammo - not lacquered. There is some green sealent stuff around the primer though. I also just compared the surplus stuff with the Federal stuff. The rim of the Spanish ammo appears to be a bit thinner.
I inspected what I think is the extractor ( the little claw thingy that slips around the cartridge rim?) for movement. And it does move. But only with considerable pressure from my finger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I fixed it! The problem was with the extractor plunger. ( Good diagnosis R6721 ^_^ ) It had worn to where it no longer fit into the grove in the side of the extractor, and would rotate out and lay over the top edge. I replaced it (plus the extractor & spring) and now no more troubles with the Spanish NATO ammo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts