Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two stainless standard Mini-14s. They are both brand new. One of them fires the round and leaves it in the chamber. It just started doing this after about 100 rounds through the gun. It does it with different ammo and even the factory magazine. I have cleaned the bolt and extractor with gunscrubber and made sure the chamber is clean. I don't think it is the chamber because the rounds come out very easy.

Should I send it back to the factory? I hate to ship the gun and wait several weeks. Or, should I just replace the extractor and spring? I am not sure how easy it is to remove the extractor. Any help?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Try manually cycling it without firing. If it fails to extract one, then try to pull it out with your fingernail. If there's a lot of resistance to your pulling it out, then the problem may be in the chamber itself.

Just curious, are you using .223 ammo or 5.56x45mm?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will extract when you cycle it manually. The round, when it fails, will come out easily with your fingernail. The spring on the extractor seems as strong as on my other mini.

·
Registered
716 Posts
When you cleaned it, did you disassemble it? Sometimes a chunk of crud can get under that lip on the extractor and the only way to get it out is to disassemble and flick it out with a pin or toothpick...

·
Registered
716 Posts
NO NO, not disassemble the extractor! I meant just the gun in general, pull the bolt assembly out, and visually inspect it. If you take the extractor out, you may have quite a bit of difficulty getting it back together (plunger and spring being a pain). You can buy new bolt assemblies from Ruger - $39, but has to be factory fitted, so who knows how much labor they will expend for you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disassemble and clean all my guns after shooting. It sounds like it needs to go back to the factory for a new extractor or bolt. I have taken apart my Garand bolt. Bummer.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dave to remove the extractor you'll have the depress the plunger like an M1 carbine. Pay close attention to the plunger it has a relief cut so it retains the extractor. It MUST be put back together correctly. With the extractor removed you'll be able to see the underside of it to see if it is chipped or not. The ejector is also under pressure and held in place by the extractor. Don't forget that little plunger can fly across the room if your not carefull same with the ejector and spring . Also don't forget the firing pin must have the flat lined up as the extractor holds it in the bolt. I've never had extractor problems, but have heard some people say they've broke Mini extractors. I have had to replace ejector springs though. I use a small screwdriver like the ones used to work on eyeglasses with to depress the plunger. I have never tried seeing if a M1 carbine bolt disassembly tool would work on a Mini?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts